Paul Lambert

limpid

So doom and gloom. We're a football club, just like the majority. We have good seasons and bad, win the odd cup. That's the nature of the beast.

I wonder if those alive between 1920 and 1957 were this consistently miserable.

They wouldn't have been as miserable because all those managers back in that time didn't have as bad home or cup records as this idiot we've now got in charge!
Yes when Villa were relegated for the first time in their history I'm sure the fans weren't miserable at all because over eighty years later a manager was going to have a really bad home record.
Not a really bad home record...just the worst ever in our history. Most of the fans (not me) wanted Lambert and defend him to the hilt and cannot ever admit that he's not a very good manager and one of the most negative ever.

When people say its the worst ever in history, you mean losses right and not based on points gained. As McLeish gained less points at VP than any other manager so surely that's the worst. See with stats you can twist them anyway to make a point in an argument.

He's lost 10 matches at home in the League.....I think I'd rather draw than lose

Maybe off topic but what frustrates me and a few people I sit with in Upper Holte is that at corners we are defending it is so frustrating to see Gabby in the box - I'd rather he be on the half way line taking at least two players from the opposition with him. 

The defense SHOULD be capable enough to not need Gabby back in our own box. 

I've been saying this for years. What an outball to have if Guzan catches the ball. 

Really don't know why we've never done it. 

Edited by PieFacE

So doom and gloom. We're a football club, just like the majority. We have good seasons and bad, win the odd cup. That's the nature of the beast.

They wouldn't have been as miserable because all those managers back in that time didn't have as bad home or cup records as this idiot we've now got in charge!
Yes when Villa were relegated for the first time in their history I'm sure the fans weren't miserable at all because over eighty years later a manager was going to have a really bad home record.
Not a really bad home record...just the worst ever in our history. Most of the fans (not me) wanted Lambert and defend him to the hilt and cannot ever admit that he's not a very good manager and one of the most negative ever.

When people say its the worst ever in history, you mean losses right and not based on points gained. As McLeish gained less points at VP than any other manager so surely that's the worst. See with stats you can twist them anyway to make a point in an argument.

He's lost 10 matches at home in the League.....I think I'd rather draw than lose

Well he'd won 6 compared to McLeish's 4, and still gained more points than him with his draws. So I'd rather win.

Maybe off topic but what frustrates me and a few people I sit with in Upper Holte is that at corners we are defending it is so frustrating to see Gabby in the box - I'd rather he be on the half way line taking at least two players from the opposition with him. 

I've been saying this for years. What an outball to have if Guzan catches the ball. 

i think most teasm now use their attackers to defend corners if they are generally up for it.  We do it with Benteke and you will always find people like Drogba, Rooney and Wellbeck (just to name 3) who always do that too.

I think (not 100% sure i've got the right game or player here but it was v recent) it might have been the Notts Forest Game recently where Pearce was talking about their Striker (long and funny soundign name that i'm not going to try to guess or google) who was gettign praise for hs goals and Pearce said that it wasn't just his goals it was his all round play and he was often the first person to be heading danger away from their own box.

If Gabby is better in the air than say Westwood or Wiemann then of course he'll be defending corners as will Benteke when he returns.   

The fact is at those points in the game we are DEFENDING our own goal not attacking the oppositions and that has to be the priority.  So given the 1 or 2 in 10 opportunties from an oppostion corner or advanced free kick where we may actually break quickly compared to the 8 or 9 in 10 where we can't I think i'd rather have a solid defense thanks and play the percentages.  We're more likely to concede more than we'd score if we changed it around.

In my opinion Lambert and the coaching staff are spot on in this.  Defend as best you can with your best defensive weapons when your goal is at threat from a set play corner or advanced free kick.  It's just basic common sense.

If we shipped 3 or 4 goals because Gabby and Benteke weren't defending these plays then I'm pretty sure Lambert wouldn't be heralded for his positive attacking set up he'd be completely lambasted for being stupid and not setting up his team to defend set plays as best it can.

Given that pretty much all teams set up that way is probably an indication of what is considered best.

The only reason I can think of is that the opposition defenders will come further field in that situation up as they feel safe, but it leaves a big space for our players with pace to exploit and run into. also, if Gabby is up field on his own then nobody from our team is going to be able to catch him and offer support so he will have to go it alone.against possibly two defenders. I would guess that  the management feel we can counter attack better as a team that way?

i think most teasm now use their attackers to defend corners if they are generally up for it. We do it with Benteke and you will always find people like Drogba, Rooney and Wellbeck (just to name 3) who always do that too.

I think (not 100% sure i've got the right game or player here but it was v recent) it might have been the Notts Forest Game recently where Pearce was talking about their Striker (long and funny soundign name that i'm not going to try to guess or google) who was gettign praise for hs goals and Pearce said that it wasn't just his goals it was his all round play and he was often the first person to be heading danger away from their own box.

If Gabby is better in the air than say Westwood or Wiemann then of course he'll be defending corners as will Benteke when he returns.

The fact is at those points in the game we are DEFENDING our own goal not attacking the oppositions and that has to be the priority. So given the 1 or 2 in 10 opportunties from an oppostion corner or advanced free kick where we may actually break quickly compared to the 8 or 9 in 10 where we can't I think i'd rather have a solid defense thanks and play the percentages. We're more likely to concede more than we'd score if we changed it around.

In my opinion Lambert and the coaching staff are spot on in this. Defend as best you can with your best defensive weapons when your goal is at threat from a set play corner or advanced free kick. It's just basic common sense.

If we shipped 3 or 4 goals because Gabby and Benteke weren't defending these plays then I'm pretty sure Lambert wouldn't be heralded for his positive attacking set up he'd be completely lambasted for being stupid and not setting up his team to defend set plays as best it can.

Given that pretty much all teams set up that way is probably an indication of what is considered best.

Yes gabby defends corners well and I can understand having him (like other strikers back). But for having everyone back causes pressure as the opposition can put more men forward and even when we clear the ball comes straight back at us. Someone like weimann who isn't that strong in the air would be better left half way line for me.

Well he'd won 6 compared to McLeish's 4, and still gained more points than him with his draws. So I'd rather win.

He's no better than McLeish...We had not lost to Stoke or Fulham at home in decades and yet Lambert managed to do that last season....

How's he an idiot? Had a few bad runs granted but it hardly warrants calling anyone an idiot.

Save your energy till after the Spurs game pal

You might just need it!

Why would that be?

As in not to get involved in any tangles this early on when potentially Romes gonna be burning down the road.

Bit like taking part in a competition and the prize is 2 weeks all inclusive at The Hilton Raqqa.

He's no better than McLeish...We had not lost to Stoke or Fulham at home in decades and yet Lambert managed to do that last season....

But on the other hand he must have the best away record against stoke of all our managers since stoke was promoted to the PL. And, the stat you show there can also be affected byt stoke not being in the same division as us for about 20 years before they got promoted.

We need to work out how to play at home still, I think that much is obvious. We did well against Hull but they were awful, should have done better against Newcastle - Arsenal I'm prepared to write off. I'm confident that with Benteke back, Westwood keeping up his form and Cleverley and Delph getting forward we can do that, but the proof will be in the pudding. Away from home our game works with a solid defence so I'm happy to keep playing as we are.

It's to early to tell how our home form will go so far. The draw and win against Hull and Newcastle were acceptable and the circumstances around the Arsenal mean it's hard to judge. With Man City and Spurs up next we might have to wait for another win.

But we've seen improvement in the defence. And with Benteke AND Kozak to come back, I think you will see a compleatly different team going forward with the likes of Cleverley and Richardson in midfield.

All I want to see is progress, I think I've seen it so far, we're no longer reliant on the big man and Vlaar.

• Like 1

We need to work out how to play at home still, I think that much is obvious. We did well against Hull but they were awful, should have done better against Newcastle - Arsenal I'm prepared to write off. I'm confident that with Benteke back, Westwood keeping up his form and Cleverley and Delph getting forward we can do that, but the proof will be in the pudding. Away from home our game works with a solid defence so I'm happy to keep playing as we are.

You might have a good point there, but when it comes to the game against newcastle I think it could've been a very different game if we'd had the results against hull and liverpool before that. Might seem a quite meaningless "if", but what I mean is that before that game I don't think we were that confident as we were after the two other games. I think we were still a bit low on confidence and didn't dare to put that pressure on them. Would probably be a totally different game today. But I agree that we were sitting back a bit too much especially in the 2nd half in that game.

Pre game weekly PC on SSN @ 1.30pm so should get the latest on the villa virus.

According to physio room we have everyone returning on Saturday bar The Beast and Kojak.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

i think most teasm now use their attackers to defend corners if they are generally up for it. We do it with Benteke and you will always find people like Drogba, Rooney and Wellbeck (just to name 3) who always do that too.

I think (not 100% sure i've got the right game or player here but it was v recent) it might have been the Notts Forest Game recently where Pearce was talking about their Striker (long and funny soundign name that i'm not going to try to guess or google) who was gettign praise for hs goals and Pearce said that it wasn't just his goals it was his all round play and he was often the first person to be heading danger away from their own box.

If Gabby is better in the air than say Westwood or Wiemann then of course he'll be defending corners as will Benteke when he returns.

The fact is at those points in the game we are DEFENDING our own goal not attacking the oppositions and that has to be the priority. So given the 1 or 2 in 10 opportunties from an oppostion corner or advanced free kick where we may actually break quickly compared to the 8 or 9 in 10 where we can't I think i'd rather have a solid defense thanks and play the percentages. We're more likely to concede more than we'd score if we changed it around.

In my opinion Lambert and the coaching staff are spot on in this. Defend as best you can with your best defensive weapons when your goal is at threat from a set play corner or advanced free kick. It's just basic common sense.

Given that pretty much all teams set up that way is probably an indication of what is considered best.

Yes gabby defends corners well and I can understand having him (like other strikers back). But for having everyone back causes pressure as the opposition can put more men forward and even when we clear the ball comes straight back at us. Someone like weimann who isn't that strong in the air would be better left half way line for me.

That wasn't the point that was being made tho.  i agree we don't need 11 players in the box defending and need an outlet.  The opposition will normally have one more person to defend with from their own set pieces.   The qestion is how many do you choose and who.

Edited by CannockVillan

That wasn't the point that was being made tho. i agree we don't need 11 players in the box defending and need an outlet. The opposition will normally have one more person to defend with from their own set pieces. The qestion is how many do you choose and who.

At the moment, I'd be inclined to say Wiemann would be a good shout to leave upfield as he's not the tallest or best in the air. If that then leaves 2 opposition players back to mark him plus the corner taker, we should have more than enough bodies back.

When Benteke is back, we're actually quite a physically tall and strong team so could then maybe push Gabby up instead ?

Regarding having 11 men back a couple of years ago we looked a liability at set pieces and conceded regularly we then started bringing every one back to defend and since we've been pretty solid. I'd like us to take it on a team by team basis as not all teams are strong on set pieces and having an out ball would help keep defenders back. Our home form won't be decided after our next 2 games as being realistic we won't be favourites and getting anything would be a bonus I can't see us losing both if every one is fully fit. After Man City I'd imagine Benteke will be back so I don't think we should fear any one this side of Xmas so hopefully we can go on a run.

He's also just given us the best start to a league in 16 yrs. Your point is silly.

He's also just given us the best start to a league in 16 yrs. Your point is silly.

It's not where you start it's where you finish! And his point is valid as for the past 2 seasons Lambert's points total has been very similar to McLeish. Being 3rd after 5 games means diddly in May.

Just because Lerner has given him an extended contract to add to his long list of idiotic decision making we don't all have to be gushing praise onto a manager who preformance has been below average so far. You can't polish a turd but my God some people certainly have tried to roll him in glitter!

• Like 3

Â