Paul Lambert

limpid

I can appreciate the opinion of waiting before giving him a new contract, I think I'm in that boat too. But to get rid of him now would be absolutely suicidal, and completely unfair on him given the circumstances he's had to work under. The past few years haven't been great, but he's not done a bad job, keeping us up was the target and he's achieved it. He's done everything asked of him by his employer.

Under a new owner I would change him sooner rather than later!

I actually wanted him gone at the end of the season. I didn't have confidence in his tactical nous or his ability to organise and motivate the squad. Even when Benteke was fit it seemed like we couldn't win without him and Vlaar on the pitch. The inability to hold onto a clean sheet or break down teams was a worry.

Since then, he's continued to be excellent in the transfer window, organised a defence to an extent that can so far be described as revolutionary, got the team winning games without it's biggest goal threat and kept clean sheets against teams that put plenty of goals past us last season. On top of that, the team seems like a cohesive unit, well motivated and ready for a fight. I'm not trying to rewrite last season or gloss over the mistakes that were made. As far as I'm concerned, he's improved in every area he was found lacking. Why wouldn't I get behind him?

• Like 1

Since then, he's continued to be excellent in the transfer window,

Continued?

I think his success rate has been appalling, partially because of the financial boundaries he has worked within, but a 1 in 6 success rate with transfers is p*ss poor by anyone's standards.

I agree.

Luckily Lambert's success rate is considerably better than 1 in 6

• Like 4

Sign him up for a few more years. This club has lacked consistency in terms of management. All you have to do is look at Fergusons first few seasons at Man Utd, they were inconsistent for a few years and started to level out. 

Moyes was the same at Everton, it took him a few seasons to settle and get the squad he wanted.

Time and time again, having a bit of consistency in management seems to serve most teams well. The last thing we need is to be getting rid of Lambert and replacing him with someone who's going to just start from scratch again. Pointless.

• Like 4

Sign him up for a few more years. This club has lacked consistency in terms of management. All you have to do is look at Fergusons first few seasons at Man Utd, they were inconsistent for a few years and started to level out. 

Moyes was the same at Everton, it took him a few seasons to settle and get the squad he wanted.

Time and time again, having a bit of consistency in management seems to serve most teams well. The last thing we need is to be getting rid of Lambert and replacing him with someone who's going to just start from scratch again. Pointless.

No way does Lambert deserve a contract extension. Being Lerner's lacky gimp is not a reason for a new contract and Lerner should not lumber any new owner with this millstone!

Since then, he's continued to be excellent in the transfer window,

Continued?

I think his success rate has been appalling, partially because of the financial boundaries he has worked within, but a 1 in 6 success rate with transfers is p*ss poor by anyone's standards.

Break this 1 in 6 shizzle down for me VO, I'm interested to see where you get this number from.

The devil's in the detail.

• Like 1

No way does Lambert deserve a contract extension. Being Lerner's lacky gimp is not a reason for a new contract and Lerner should not lumber any new owner with this millstone!

So, let's say the end of the season brings no new ownership. Lerner is still in charge and Lamberts contract is running out, you'd rather let it run out and go on the hunt for a replacement that would more than likely be someone like Allerdyce, Bruce, Pulis etc than hold on to a manager who is doing alright considering the circumstances?

Anyone who says the circumstances doesn't excuse the poor form at times and the inconsistency needs to wise up. The club spent less than any of the recently promoted teams this summer and is performing well above expectations, I mean WELL above expectations. It's a long season but a great start that should help us avoid a relegation battle this year.

To think of getting rid of Lambert after 3 years of digging is the bargain bin, battling inconsistency, young players not being able to recover from defeats and injuries. There's no other manager that I can think of that would do any better in the same circumstances. There really isn't.

• Like 1

Lambert's signings:

El Ahmadi

Lowtown

Vlaar

Bennett

Bowery

Westwood

Benteke

Sylla

Luna

Helenius

Tonev

Bacuna

Okore

Kozak

Steer

Senderos

Cole

Richardson

Cissokho

Sanchez

Cleverley

Not to mention resigning Guzan

Edited by Folski
  • Like 2

IMO we would be in the same boat if it wasn't for Roy Kean.

Keep them both then. I agree, I believe Keane has had an effect on the team. 

A number of times in post match interviews players have talked about working on tactics during training. It's entirely possible that Lambert has a great understanding of tactics but is just terrible at passing this knowledge on. Keane might be much better at communicating tactics with players in training.

I know what I'm doing in my own job but damned if I could explain it in somewhat laymans terms at times.

Lambert's signings:

El Ahmadi - grand

Lowtown - grand

Vlaar - grand

Bennett -meh

Bowery -meh 

Westwood - grand

Benteke - great

Sylla - meh

Luna - meh

Helenius -grand 

Tonev -meh

Bacuna -grand

Okore - TBD

Kozak - grand

Steer - TBD but probably grand

Senderos - grand

Cole - grand

Richardson -grand 

Cissokho - grand

Sanchez - TBD

Good return if you ask me. What's the total spend since he got here?

What did the team cost the last day 15m? And people want him out?

Some people can't see beyond their nose. Some of the posts over the last hour have been idiotic. It's like it all has to be the managers fault regardless of what really goes on at the club.

Â