Paul Lambert

limpid

13 shots on target against Orient points the blame on the team who played and not the manager.

there were not 13 shots on target . According to all stats people we have only had 4 on target in last 5 games. Who is saying so many last night?

He meant 13 shots, quite obviously.

13 shots on target against Orient points the blame on the team who played and not the manager.

there were not 13 shots on target . According to all stats people we have only had 4 on target in last 5 games. Who is saying so many last night?

We had 1 shot on target last night, match stats from Sky.

Is a defeat to a lower league side in the cup really that much worse than a defeat to a Premier League team? The end result is the same and it's not like Leyton Orient dominated us or anything.

My main gripe with Lambert tonight is with his decision to rest Guzan and play Given. I'm not trying to scapegoat Shay but he really just can't deal with high balls into the box like Guzan can.

We are failing to win matches because we have only managed a total of 2 shots on target in our first 3 games. You are looking at totally the wrong end to portion your blame.

The shots on target stat is pretty meaningless really - I don't know why football fans obsess over it so much. We did have a lot of shots last night and there isn't a lot of difference between one that just sails over the bar and one that the keeper comfortably stops as in both cases a goal hasn't been scored.

But where did I say that playing Given instead of Guzan was the sole reason why we didn't win? All I was doing was saying that that was my main gripe with Lambert last night. If the attacking players can't finish the chances on the night then there isn't much the manager can do about that but he definitely could've shored up the defence by playing Guzan instead.

Edited by Mantis

Quite right. Let's raise a Dodgy Statistics Alert.

There were 13 shots, but ONLY ONE on target.

Like I've just posted in the match thread, I don't think Lambert "gets" cup football. He hinted last season he sees it as a distraction and I don't think he knows how to fire up his teams to go out and play winning football in cup matches. His record at Villa and Norwich before that, is pretty dreadful. The exception was last year's League Cup semi, but that ended pretty badly too.

I want us to win cup games and for us to make progress in competitions. It's the one thing that can add a bit of colour to an otherwise grim struggle to survive somewhere between 12th-17th

Is a defeat to a lower league side in the cup really that much worse than a defeat to a Premier League team? The end result is the same and it's not like Leyton Orient dominated us or anything.

My main gripe with Lambert tonight is with his decision to rest Guzan and play Given. I'm not trying to scapegoat Shay but he really just can't deal with high balls into the box like Guzan can.

We are failing to win matches because we have only managed a total of 2 shots on target in our first 3 games. You are looking at totally the wrong end to portion your blame.

The shots on target stat is pretty meaningless really - I don't know why football fans obsess over it so much. We did have a lot of shots last night and there isn't a lot of difference between one that just sails over the bar and one that the keeper comfortably stops as in both cases a goal hasn't been scored.

But where did I say that playing Given instead of Guzan was the sole reason why we didn't win? All I was doing was saying that that was my main gripe with Lambert last night. If the attacking players can't finish the chances on the night then there isn't much the manager can do about that but he definitely could've shored up the defence by playing Guzan instead.

Shots on target is meaningless????? That has to be the most stupid thing I ever heard????

And if the manager cannot affect what the players are doing out on the pitch then whats the point of managers?? Though I do think that the players would probably perform better if that mumbling bufoon did actually let them pick their own side and tactics!

• Like 1

Like I've just posted in the match thread, I don't think Lambert "gets" cup football. He hinted last season he sees it as a distraction and I don't think he knows how to fire up his teams to go out and play winning football in cup matches. His record at Villa and Norwich before that, is pretty dreadful. The exception was last year's League Cup semi, but that ended pretty badly too.

I want us to win cup games and for us to make progress in competitions. It's the one thing that can add a bit of colour to an otherwise grim struggle to survive somewhere between 12th-17th

Thats right. Shocking statement, me as a fan love those cups. It's actually something we can win, Lambert obviously don't give a flying F***

Thats right. Shocking statement, me as a fan love those cups. It's actually something we can win, Lambert obviously don't give a flying F***

Lambert has targets. His target is to keep us up on a shoestring budget. 

Forget about cups.

Shots on target is meaningless????? That has to be the most stupid thing I ever heard????

And if the manager cannot affect what the players are doing out on the pitch then whats the point of managers?? Though I do think that the players would probably perform better if that mumbling bufoon did actually let them pick their own side and tactics!

Why? You can have shots on target that didn't pose any kind of threat just like you can have shots off target that are close to going in. Looking at the shots on target stat in isolation (as people have been doing) really doesn't tell us much.

I never said the manager had no effect but there isn't much that any manager can do when his best two strikers are injured and the remaining ones just aren't that good.

Blimey, the excuses have started up early this season!

(If some of our strikers aren't very good, what a shame we don't have someone with the power to buy and sell players to try to improve things. If there were such a person, he'd need a title - how about something like "manager"?)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

(If some of our strikers aren't very good, what a shame we don't have someone with the power to buy and sell players to try to improve things. If there were such a person, he'd need a title - how about something like "manager"?)

Ah I see the old "excuses" bullshit is being wheeled out again.

I take it you've forgotten that we have an owner that clearly doesn't want to spend?

and what a shame it would be if that "manager" has the two best strikers (that he signed) injured and didn't have the money to buy anyone else good enough.

round and round and round and round

• Like 1

is it Lamberts fault that Bent or Gabby is shit? What else can he do maybe buy another striker oh wait he got moaned at last season when he brought in Kozak and Holt. 

Ever heard about man management? Getting the best out of the players? Lambert obviously isn't very good at this.

First phase : all good strikers are injured.

Second phase : all good strikers aren't fit enough yet. 

Third phase : all good strikers haven't had a proper pre-season. 

=> End up another season will less goals scored, less shorts and less possession than a McLesih side.

We are failing to win matches because we have only managed a total of 2 shots on target in our first 3 games. You are looking at totally the wrong end to portion your blame.

don't agree. Given made a cracking save. And to be honest I don't think guzan would have saved the goal. A keeper can't do much if he has baker playing in front if him !

Sent from my iPhone using VillaTalk

Ah I see the old "excuses" bullshit is being wheeled out again.

I take it you've forgotten that we have an owner that clearly doesn't want to spend?

How much money have Leyton Orient spent?

Well they have had 2 years of preparation watching this clueless buffoon and plenty of practice at rolling that same old turd in glitter once they realised polishing didn't work.

Pathetic, apoligetic loser mindset some fans seem to have is very frustrating!

We are failing to win matches because we have only managed a total of 2 shots on target in our first 3 games. You are looking at totally the wrong end to portion your blame.

don't agree. Given made a cracking save. And to be honest I don't think guzan would have saved the goal. A keeper can't do much if he has baker playing in front if him !

He did, but he also didn't command his area like Guzan does.

Â