Paul Lambert

limpid

Yeah I read that thread when it was around but there weren't that many who have actually proven they could do a better job under such circumstances.

Without having that opportunity we can't say whether they would do better or not, same as any managerial appointment under any circumstances.

Yeah I read that thread when it was around but there weren't that many who have actually proven they could do a better job under such circumstances.

Without having that opportunity we can't say whether they would do better or not, same as any managerial appointment under any circumstances.

So why are some people so convinced that they would do a better job?

I'm convince more to with how bad a job lambert has done more than other managers showing they'd do as well.

Has he really done that bad a job considering the circumstances? Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's worked miracles, but it can't be understated just what shitty conditions he's been working under.

• Like 1

I think he's worked under really crap circumstances but i also think he's done a pretty poor job.  On the whole it's been crap results and dire performances.  I just think a lot of managers could probably produce similar results and style of play in the same circumstances.

Even though i think he's been poor i still don't think the circumstances around the club should be ignored.  It's a shame he's had to work under them, i suspect we'll have to see him at another club to see how good he can really be.

Why are some convinced that they wouldn't?

For me, it is because I have seen a lack of progression over a couple yrs. I have seen the same mistakes being replicated and seemingly not learning from mistakes. And I have seen us have an atrocious playing style that hasn't brought about positive results. In my eyes a different manager would at least be able to show progression over a couple of seasons and they would have a definitive playing style.

Why are some convinced that they wouldn't?

For me, it is because I have seen a lack of progression over a couple yrs. I have seen the same mistakes being replicated and seemingly not learning from mistakes. And I have seen us have an atrocious playing style that hasn't brought about positive results. In my eyes a different manager would at least be able to show progression over a couple of seasons and they would have a definitive playing style.

Because of all the shit that's been going on. We were desperately unlucky with injuries last season as well. Lambert didn't have a great deal to spend over the summer yet he lost by far his two most expensive signings to ridiculously bad injuries.

• Like 1

I think he's worked under really crap circumstances but i also think he's done a pretty poor job. On the whole it's been crap results and dire performances. I just think a lot of managers could probably produce similar results and style of play in the same circumstances.

Even though i think he's been poor i still don't think the circumstances around the club should be ignored. It's a shame he's had to work under them, i suspect we'll have to see him at another club to see how good he can really be.

On results I think he's done an "OK" job. He has had, if we are too to believe that the bomb squad was "forced" upon him, the smallest budget in the league to work with, Burnley esq, he's done well to keep us hanging around.

The football has been turgid. The situation with his coaches bullying players is absolutely farcical and his decision making, at times, has been boarding on barmy. But he has also shown promise, he has shown a willing to change things around, he has shown that he can get them to play a bit (however fleeting) and, as I said, we're still in the league. Then there's the fact that players *seem* to want to play for him, he handled the Benteke situation remarkably well for example.

We had a lot of key injuries last year, and I think he's had a great summer considering. All he really need do is keep us up one more time and hopefully the takeover will come. Then all bets are off.

No pressure Paul.

Want him gone but have to get behind him for the start of the season. He has made some shrewd to very good signings this summer and the best may turn out to be Roy Keane.

He needs to get the players performing well at start of the season or it will get horrible very quickly.

You might label Lambert's signings this summer as the journeymen type, but conversely I think they are a real coup for this club to get them in given our current situation.

It's very difficult to attract experienced/international players to a club like ours right now. If we are able to tie Vlaar, Gabby and Delph to new deals and get another wide man in then I don't think Lambert can literally do any more on the players side of it. The lads he's let go in this window were never realistically going to get a look in this season.

I concede he's served up some poor football, particularly at home, and he needs to get it right this season as it probably is last chance saloon for him over the course of the whole season new owners or not.

Right now I think the fans just need to turn up in our numbers, home and away, and get behind Lambert and the team. If we look like we're in trouble come Christmas, things will start happening anyway.

• Like 1

It was crap before Lambert arrived and under this regime it'll be crap if/when he leaves. Until the club is sold and we have an owner willing to invest it wouldn't matter who's manager.

They were saying that before Ron Saunders arrived

• Like 1

You might label Lambert's signings this summer as the journeymen type, but conversely I think they are a real coup for this club to get them in given our current situation.

It's very difficult to attract experienced/international players to a club like ours right now. If we are able to tie Vlaar, Gabby and Delph to new deals and get another wide man in then I don't think Lambert can literally do any more on the players side of it. The lads he's let go in this window were never realistically going to get a look in this season.

I concede he's served up some poor football, particularly at home, and he needs to get it right this season as it probably is last chance saloon for him over the course of the whole season new owners or not.

Right now I think the fans just need to turn up in our numbers, home and away, and get behind Lambert and the team. If we look like we're in trouble come Christmas, things will start happening anyway.

I'm not looking for the fans to turn up and get behind the team,because they always have.

I'm looking the the team to live up to its name.

• Like 1

It was crap before Lambert arrived and under this regime it'll be crap if/when he leaves. Until the club is sold and we have an owner willing to invest it wouldn't matter who's manager.

How is Ron Saunders relevant to Paul Lambert? That was over 30 years ago.

I was referring to the principle involved...there was no money around then......principles have no bearing on time....

30 years....60 years....90 years....so what.

....a lie today is the same as a lie 100 years ago

I was referring to the principle involved...there was no money around then......principles have no bearing on time....

Football has changed so much that it's such a pointless comparison. What exactly is this "principle" anyway, and where's the lie?

Bottom line is he's got no excuses this season. He's got a full squad, done decent new signings, some old players back from the wilderness and 2 years with most of the squad. Awful fixtures early on aside (I think most of us realistically expect us on the bottom 3 come mid october no matter who's managing us) this is the year he delivers or goes

It's not a lie though, the game was completely different then, the role of the manager was different - Ron Saunders would fail in the modern era, he'd hate it, he wouldn't take the job and if he did, he'd fail. It's a different game. He was perfect for then, for us, but he's irrelevant to this. You can't keep living in the past TRO, the club doesn't get points for it's name.

With no money it's impossible to do well. You could put Mourinho in charge of Villa this season and me in charge of Man City and I'd finish above him.

For me, Lambert is doing a good job of keeping a bad team in the division for peanuts - he'll never be short of work on that basis.

Lambert could have done so much better with the resources he had available, it is painful. At least the signs are this season he has dropped some of the more foolish notions like "bomb squad" for some of our most experienced players and trying to make premier league silk purses out of lower league sow's ears, and has assembled the sort of squad he could have from the word go. Now we will be able to focus a bit more on whether his tactics and formations really are as dire as they seemed last season.

Â