Paul Lambert

limpid

I still maintain it's an over reaction. I'm not making excuses for Lambert but instead will offer up just one single reason to justify my view. Without labouring the point had Benteke not got injured at Carrow Road earlier in the season I honestly believe we would easily be in a much better position now. Why fans can't see this & why fans are blaming Lambert is beyond me.

Um, maybe because a manager should create a team that isn't just dependent on one individual performing well?

Like I said Benteke's injury is just one reason. Now I'll give you reason number two. Lambert realised we had major problems in Central Defence & recruited Okore, who as you well know suffered a season long injury. So, your point about being dependent on just one individual is inadmissible. Fans not giving Lambert time or the benefit of the doubt is just sheer madness & ignorant IMO.

You're making out he's been here five minutes, he's had time, he's had patience, a lot more than most; many managers have been sacked for poor performance whilst doing better than Lambert has. Seems there is only one person being ignorant here.

Edited by penguin

Cup shocks are fine, Bradford was not a cup shock though was it? Cup shocks tend to be the lesser team snatching a goal to go through against a weakened top team. Millwall, Sheff and Bradford were not cup shocks they were just games like most others Lambert has managed at AVFC....Defeats.

It is the nature and beauty of cup games. We have been the victims of freak cup runs by two of those sides aforementioned. We should not forget Bradford and Sheffield United knocked out a few Premiership teams and reached the latter stages of the cup competition. The Millwall game was straight after the demoralising Bradford defeat, everybody's confidence was at an all time low. Football is a confidence game. It is clear we have a young team that has a fragile confidence when the pressure is on, it has been one of the reasons for our inconsistency IMO.

Furthermore, it is interesting nobody brings up the other cup games under Lambert. We had victories against City (4-2), Norwich (4-1), Ipswich (2-1), Rotherham (3-0), but nobody is interested in those games. 

• Like 2

Your right VillaR, its not that we lost at Bradford everyone has had a cup shock. But its the sheer complaintency at the way we lost. Throwing 4-5 up front, panicking like it was Sunday league cup, no ideas. Bradford wasn't even that good, we just got bullied off the field because of inept tactics and zero plan B.

Its wasn't like a shock exit like Man U or Man City. It was utter embarrassment of the highest order to even be there and watch that rubbish unfold.

Without labouring the point had Benteke not got injured at Carrow Road earlier in the season I honestly believe we would easily be in a much better position now

So what you're basically saying is Benteke should be manager ?

I could go for that, Anything but this current cnut

Your right VillaR, its not that we lost at Bradford everyone has had a cup shock. But its the sheer complaintency at the way we lost. Throwing 4-5 up front, panicking like it was Sunday league cup, no ideas. Bradford wasn't even that good, we just got bullied off the field because of inept tactics and zero plan B.

Its wasn't like a shock exit like Man U or Man City. It was utter embarrassment of the highest order to even be there and watch that rubbish unfold.

Everybody was disappointed who wouldn't have been? Paul Lambert more than anybody. It was just not meant to be. Weimann scored with practically the last kick of the game & perhaps with another 5 minutes who knows.

Sunderland turned Man Utd over in 2 legs this season which just proves that the under dog can still prevail in these circumstances so it is nothing unusual. Just ask Tom Jones. ;)

Without labouring the point had Benteke not got injured at Carrow Road earlier in the season I honestly believe we would easily be in a much better position now

So what you're basically saying is Benteke should be manager ?

I could go for that, Anything but this current cnut

No what I am basically saying is that Ulver should be Manager. ;):P

The fans are not to blame for the shite we are currently in

The blame lies with the piss-poor manager, piss-poor players and piss-poor owner at the club. If we go down, these three elements of the club will be to blame, NOT the fans

The clubs is a mess and hopefully there are wholesale changes in the summer in all 3 areas if we are to avoid yet another relegation fight next year (assuming we stay up this year of course)

I agree totally with you. The fans are not responsible for the clubs demise. They are however responsible for the current negative attitude towards Paul Lambert out of their sheer frustration & that is my point.

This negative attitude does not help the club one bit. Surely fans can see this?

Why even deny it?

It doesnt help the club but i dont think it harms it either in truth. The harm is being done by the out-of-his-depth manager, out-of-their-depth players and absent owner

the fans being fully behind the players and manager for the past 2 years has hardly reaped any benefits

anyway, as you like to have the last say on most matters and i don't have all day to discuss, that is my last contribution as no doubt you will respond with a cretinous 'joke',  the 'take a bow' bollox or some other silliness

• Like 1

The blame lies with the piss-poor manager, piss-poor players and piss-poor owner at the club. If we go down, these three elements of the club will be to blame, NOT the fans

The clubs is a mess and hopefully there are wholesale changes in the summer in all 3 areas if we are to avoid yet another relegation fight next year (assuming we stay up this year of course)

I agree totally with you. The fans are not responsible for the clubs demise. They are however responsible for the current negative attitude towards Paul Lambert out of their sheer frustration & that is my point.

This negative attitude does not help the club one bit. Surely fans can see this?

Why even deny it?

It doesnt help the club but i dont think it harms it either in truth. The harm is being done by the out-of-his-depth manager, out-of-their-depth players and absent owner

the fans being fully behind the players and manager for the past 2 years has hardly reaped any benefits

anyway, as you like to have the last say on most matters and i don't have all day to discuss, that is my last contribution as no doubt you will respond with a cretinous 'joke',  the 'take a bow' bollox or some other silliness

Edgeworth-bow%28a%29.gif

Why even deny it?

Edgeworth-bow%28a%29.gif

unlike Mr Lambert you never fail to deliver exactly what is expected of you!

Why even deny it?

Edgeworth-bow%28a%29.gif

unlike Mr Lambert you never fail to deliver exactly what is expected of you!

Oh I don't know. I'm pretty sure that's the bailiff at my door. ;)

Cup shocks are fine, Bradford was not a cup shock though was it? Cup shocks tend to be the lesser team snatching a goal to go through against a weakened top team. Millwall, Sheff and Bradford were not cup shocks they were just games like most others Lambert has managed at AVFC....Defeats.

It is the nature and beauty of cup games. We have been the victims of freak cup runs by two of those sides aforementioned. We should not forget Bradford and Sheffield United knocked out a few Premiership teams and reached the latter stages of the cup competition. The Millwall game was straight after the demoralising Bradford defeat, everybody's confidence was at an all time low. Football is a confidence game. It is clear we have a young team that has a fragile confidence when the pressure is on, it has been one of the reasons for our inconsistency IMO.

Furthermore, it is interesting nobody brings up the other cup games under Lambert. We had victories against City (4-2), Norwich (4-1), Ipswich (2-1), Rotherham (3-0), but nobody is interested in those games. 

Its the nature of the cup to be upset every now and then by a lower league team, it is not the nature of the cup to go out to lower league opposition 3 times in 4 attempts. Especially not well beaten to a team 4 tiers below in a semi final all to set peices it was just nothing short of absolutely embarrassing and that nigh in particular felt like the worst in a long long time. Didn't shake that off for weeks.

People would be more interested in mentioning the victories if they didn't come once every 6-7 games..

• Like 1

Not saying any opinions are wrong or not justified or but I almost wish Lambert was sacked just so I don't have to read the same arguements recycled for over 600 pages (appreciate no one's forcing me to read them but this is the most updated thread and some good opinions).

Again not saying I haven't done the same either, i'm just as culpable of spouting the same guff..

Can we not just start a poll that states do you believe:

A: Lambert hasn't had the money/backing to succeed, plus some freak injuries, luck and results have had a toxic affect. Also he has signed some decent players and some of the ones who haven't done well will come good - or do so when they come back from injury. Some team performances he has produced enough promise/potential to be given longer. And the final threshold for that would be a summer with a 40 mil budget and until Jan to turn things around.

B: He's had enough time and other manager's have done better on similar or less budget spends, plus tactically and style of play hasn't taken us forward in terms of any tangible sense of progress. We have broken every losing record we've ever held in the league, lost to lower league teams, bombed out too many players too quickly, leaving gaps in experience and quality whilst still playing high wages for players unused or rendered worthless. Not bought a capable midfield, overplaid certain out of form players.

C: Neither opinion can be comprehensively disproved. The truth possibly lies somewhere in between.

It just shows how bad he's done when you read the quite pathetic defence that the few fans of this manager throw out.

So the posts which you don't agree with are evidence you are right. Hmmmm :)

I think those that offer some defence of Lambert are simply trying to add a level of balance to this thread because it so frequently has none.

But whenever anyone tries to do this they tend to get rounded on and labelled, (which is against the site guidelines folks please note).

It would be impossible to say things are going well at the moment or to argue that Lambert holds no blame for it, quite evidently he does. But some people, myself included think his tenure is a symptom of the problems at the club rather than the cause.

No question Lambert has made mistakes and bad decisions at times but even Lerner has admitted he has done what was asked of him. The problem is that while Faulkner was still talking about Europe these last few years the reality was that the brief for Lambert was to cut costs and stay in the PL for a couple of years. It not been enjoyable in the slightest but that is what he has done.

Now I'm not happy with that as a brief, I'm not happy with that as the expectation level of the club and I'm not happy with a lot of the performances or some of the signings.

But I still think Lambert is a decent manager and will either here or elsewhere prove that to be the case. I expect that will cause some to want to label me a Lambert lover or something equally infantile but it really isn't the case. I've have been and will continue to be critical of him but at times I think this thread seriously lacks balance, context and reason.

Well said, I don't post as much in here due to becoming tired of answering the question 'how can you still support our manager?' To only get the response well you're wrong.

That seems to go changed to 'who cares he's gone at the end of the season'.

Fwiw I still think he'll be manager next season and he'll have my support 100%.

• Like 4

It's groundhog day again I see! Hopefully once safety is assured we can find the direction the club is too take then instead of a tit for tat forum we can have proper discussions about stuff. You can be unhappy we are where we are and still believe in Lambert and I understand people who have had enough. My main reason for sticking by Lambert is I want stability and progress now I know this year we haven't but I still think he can progress us and I expected it to get worse before it got better. Not this bad granted. I just want this season over a statement of intent from the club and then we can argue all day long about positive things like who should we sign Ronaldo or Messi.

Edited by dn1982
  • Like 2

Â