Paul Lambert

limpid

only 2 Managers who have lost a higher % of their games in charge:

Dick Taylor 49.31%

Tommy Cummings 48.39%

Paul Lambert 45.78%

Interesting stat from the TBAR forum. Can the constraints he's worked under really excuse that one?
No one excuses it, but they try and fond reasons as to why it may of happened instead of just saying he's shit.

only 2 Managers who have lost a higher % of their games in charge:

Dick Taylor 49.31%

Tommy Cummings 48.39%

Paul Lambert 45.78%

Interesting stat from the TBAR forum. Can the constraints he's worked under really excuse that one?
No one excuses it, but they try and find reasons as to why it may of happened instead of just saying he's shit.
Yes reasons to excuse him of the blame. When in reality worst home form in the history of the club and the worst loss percentage of any villa manager in 50 years is really down to him as a manager.

Big John, would you happen to know how Lambert's home form and loss percentage compares to previous managers and the history of the club?
Oh sorry have I been repeating myself? How about wage cuts and financial constraints? Does that not get repeated? Edited by Big_John_10

I'm just praying we get taken over as there will probably be slim chance of Lambert remaining as manager

His only chance is if Lerner remains chairman as he will want to keep his yes man on board

Hopefully the interested parties will already have a name in mind because i do not want him to be given until next Christmas so he can break even more club records for all the wrong reasons

Poorest start to the season will probably be next on his checklist

No one excuses it, but they try and find reasons as to why it may of happened instead of just saying he's shit.

The "reasons" to absolve him of being tagged a poor manager constituting excuses. Good play of semantics though.
Right, so reasons are now excuses?
When used to excuse the poor performance of someone you're arguing for then yes.

Would love to see you doing appraisals.

• Like 1

I'm getting confused: is the claim that Lambert is running his first team on £250K a week supposed to be evidence of what a good manager he is, or a reason why his results have been so poor?

A bit of both I guess, be interesting to compare the starting 11 wages with the other teams, I'd bet we'd be lower than our league placing has us.

So his ability to run a premier league first team on a shoestring is evidence of how good he is at getting poor results but not as poor as they might be.

I think I'm getting the hang of this argument now. ;)

Put it this way, one caller last week after the game told the presenter we have a league 1 standard team, the presenter said but you're still in the premiership so is Lambert over achieving a working a miracle with these league 1 standard players?

Thats one way of looking at it but did Lambert buy those players with two relegation battles in mind or did he expect to advance the club further up the table.

Love this quote from Lambo -

"I'd still want to stay even if there was no money. It's taken knocks for too long now. But I still want to be the manager."

:wub: He is one of us.

Right or wrong I like stuff like this

Oh Gawd, do you think he will refuse to go even if he is sacked, hanging round the gates of Bodymoor trying to give the new players coaching advice as they go in for training?  :o

Didn't we tick that one off last season?

Without any sort of standard definition of what a season 'start' comprises that stat is largely meaningless. It's used by media to pad out reports/articles and some were even using the worst start since ... (insert year here).... rubbish nearly half way through the season.

Oh sorry have I been repeating myself? How about wage cuts and financial constraints? Does that not get repeated?

I don't know, does it?

Cracking conversation. Yes, yes it does.

Have you ever smiled?

• Like 3

Didn't we tick that one off last season?

Without any sort of standard definition of what a season 'start' comprises that stat is largely meaningless. It's used by media to pad out reports/articles and some were even using the worst start since ... (insert year here).... rubbish nearly half way through the season.

I'd actually agree with that. I just meant that by their definition of a start, ours last season was the worst in the Premier League. It was in response to the original post anyway.

I think PL has been found lacking but if we get taken over I would give him the money to go buy some better players and see how he does.

You don't think if we have money we could get better?

I think the more PL has spent on a player the better they have turned out to be.  I still believe we need a football structure above PL that will mean that no matter who the manager is, we have an overall footballing strategy in place. 

Firstly, can I just say recently I've been questioning if Lambert was the right man at this time, where as all along I've kept faith in him that he would turn it around. I still wonder what he could do with a budget. However, it's not so much about results, I just wonder if he can ever produce the kind of football that will see us get where we need to be. I'm only 25 & there is people on here who'll have been watching us far longer than me, but definitely since Gregory (probably before that too but I was only a kid) left we've seemed to struggle against the smaller teams, not only in the league, but even in the cups. 

I kind of feel sorry for Lambert, to be honest anyone who would want the Villa job the last few years would have had to have been crazy, and fair play to him for risking his reputation at Norwich for this. Over the last two season Paul Lambert has managed 72 Premier League games, he's named 11 starting players 72 times, which is 792 player starts. Of these 792, 255 were players who came through the Villa academy, that's 32%.

People are saying he's worst than McLeish, people need to look what he had to work with.

McLeish's average starting XI: Given. Hutton, Collins, Dunne, Warnock. Gabby, Petrov Herd NZogbia. Bent Heskey. (2011/12) avg. cost per player about £4m-£5m

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. Bannan, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2012/13) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m 

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. El Ahmadi, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2013/14) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

I think above anything else Lambert deserves our support for these last 4 games.

I think PL has been found lacking but if we get taken over I would give him the money to go buy some better players and see how he does.

I think the more PL has spent on a player the better they have turned out to be. I still believe we need a football structure above PL that will mean that no matter who the manager is, we have an overall footballing strategy in place.

Agree with that. Its no wonder we're in a mess when we go from MON-houllier-mcleish-lambert.

Different approaches that have left us in a mess.

I just think a takeover will make us an attractive option and we will be able to hire better than Lambert.

I think the more PL has spent on a player the better they have turned out to be.  I still believe we need a football structure above PL that will mean that no matter who the manager is, we have an overall footballing strategy in place. 

Trouble seems to be to me it doesn't matter how good a player Lambert signs he has no idea how to get that player in a team that consistently plays well and wins games. He could sign Messi, Ronaldo and Bale this afternoon and he would get them play the same turgid, rubbish football we have been watching for this season and most of last. He has been shown up as a manager who hides behind his coaches and isn't man enough to do the honourable thing and go forth away from our club and darken someone else's door.

Firstly, can I just say recently I've been questioning if Lambert was the right man at this time, where as all along I've kept faith in him that he would turn it around. I still wonder what he could do with a budget. However, it's not so much about results, I just wonder if he can ever produce the kind of football that will see us get where we need to be. I'm only 25 & there is people on here who'll have been watching us far longer than me, but definitely since Gregory (probably before that too but I was only a kid) left we've seemed to struggle against the smaller teams, not only in the league, but even in the cups. 

I kind of feel sorry for Lambert, to be honest anyone who would want the Villa job the last few years would have had to have been crazy, and fair play to him for risking his reputation at Norwich for this. Over the last two season Paul Lambert has managed 72 Premier League games, he's named 11 starting players 72 times, which is 792 player starts. Of these 792, 255 were players who came through the Villa academy, that's 32%.

People are saying he's worst than McLeish, people need to look what he had to work with.

McLeish's average starting XI: Given. Hutton, Collins, Dunne, Warnock. Gabby, Petrov Herd NZogbia. Bent Heskey. (2011/12) avg. cost per player about £4m-£5m

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. Bannan, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2012/13) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m 

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. El Ahmadi, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2013/14) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

I think above anything else Lambert deserves our support for these last 4 games.

The average cost per player doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things at Villa.

Just because McLeish's squad cost more doesn't make them significantly better and it certainly didn't make McLeish a better manager than he was at SHA.

Both managers are poor and both squads were/are poor.

Â