Paul Lambert

limpid

The injuries we had under houllier were horrendous.

Shush, don't mention that. It will take away another excuse for Lambert supporters.

Hasn't really got anything to do with Lambert, if anything it backs up the claims of the "Lambert supporters" as we had equally shit results under Houllier when we were plagued with injuries to key players.

• Like 2

Given the feasible alternatives - I haven't entirely given up on Lambo - just to cast my vote !

Im not going to launch a massive defence of him - because nearly all the criticisms are valid. But I don't see swapping him for another manager willing to work under similar restraints will improve things - so I guess its the devil you know.

In all probability though his time here is drawing to a close - I think even he might want to start over somewhere else. 

• Like 2

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

Oh please.

Without coaching badges we are unable to comment on Lambert's tactical ability? Ok then - lets just use your own prowess, shall we?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10.

I agree (though I'm not sure it's valid, since I haven't seen your coaching badges). So who is to blame for that? Did Lambert not have enough money for a number 10, yet managed to sign Tonev, Kozak and Helenius?

Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

How can you claim that when you already pointed out the obvious about missing a number 10?

• Like 1

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

Oh please.

Without coaching badges we are unable to comment on Lambert's tactical ability? Ok then - lets just use your own prowess, shall we?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10.

I agree (though I'm not sure it's valid, since I haven't seen your coaching badges). So who is to blame for that? Did Lambert not have enough money for a number 10, yet managed to sign Tonev, Kozak and Helenius?

How can you claim that when you already pointed out the obvious about missing a number 10?

Because he's identified that he needs one, he's also stated he's wanted to sign a couple but didn't have the money to do so.

The big question for me is whether the fans think Lambert should be given a season if big money does come into the club?

Should any potential new owners give him a lot of money to spend on new players, to see what he can do with big money. Or, would fans prefer a higher profile manager who has experience of dealing with large amounts of money in the transfer market?

The big question for me is whether the fans think Lambert should be given a season if big money does come into the club?

Should any potential new owners give him a lot of money to spend on new players, to see what he can do with big money. Or, would fans prefer a higher profile manager who has experience of dealing with large amounts of money in the transfer market?

We did have one of them 'higher profile' managers, which is one of the reasons we are where we are now.

Because he's identified that he needs one, he's also stated he's wanted to sign a couple but didn't have the money to do so.

So he identified that he needed a number 10 since we had none - yet did not purchase anyone for that role.

Meanwhile, he purchased Tonev, Kozak and Helenius - players he has rarely used (albeit Kozak has been injured) - as cover for existing positions.

And you are trying to tell me he didn't have the money?

• Like 1

Show you my coaching badges? Drop the sanctimony.

What next? You can't criticise the Government if you have no degree in politics? Wrap up.

And nobody had better criticise the railway without considering the poor sod out there at 2 in the morning in the pissing rain and having to pick up body parts, or deal with scumbag cable thieves.

Other than that, I normally appreciate your posts VR.

• Like 1

Please quit people from slagging Lambert off over his tactics.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

If beating 3 top teams is your measure of someones competence how is that we have lost to the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham (twice), Stoke (twice), Crystal Palace (twice)?

We can all come up with a couple of games like the 3 you have mentioned where we hit the jackpot and defied the odds but the reality is we are 3 places and 5 points clear of the relegation zone and more often than not Lambert is tactically outsmarted by the poorest managers in charge of the poorest teams in the Premier League.

• Like 1

So he identified that he needed a number 10 since we had none - yet did not purchase anyone for that role.

Meanwhile, he purchased Tonev, Kozak and Helenius - players he has rarely used (albeit Kozak has been injured) - as cover for existing positions.

And you are trying to tell me he didn't have the money?

He identified it in Jan, those players were signed last summer.

He didn't have the money to sign who he wanted, like you said no point in just bringing someone in for the sake of it.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?....Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

I definitely share the irritation with people who say managers (wherever) are tactically clueless or niäive. By and large that's just wrong and without foundation.

BUT, if you claim that we beat Chelsea and City and Arsenal because of tactics, then it's hard not to counter that the same logic must apply to defeats against Palace and Fulham and Bradford and Sheff Utd and etc. isn't it? Surely the truth is neither is correct.

Lambert plays different systems for different opponents. sometimes it works, mostly it hasn't (at Villa).

It's a conundrum how he's good generally at playing against the higher teams and poor against the lower teams. Two sides of the same coin, not evidence of tactical genius or tactical cluelessness.

• Like 1

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

So if Lambert is a tactical genius scholared by some of the best in the business. How come none of our players are able to carry out those pure gold tactics that he tries to implement?

Are all our players that stupid or do you seriously believe that Karsa & Culverhouse forced the players to ignore Lamberts tactics by bullying them?

If Lambert is such a tactician he must be one of the worst at coaching his players because they all look just as clueless as him as soon as they step on the pitch.

So if Lambert is a tactical genius scholared by some of the best in the business. How come none of our players are able to carry out those pure gold tactics that he tries to implement?

Are all our players that stupid or do you seriously believe that Karsa & Culverhouse forced the players to ignore Lamberts tactics by bullying them?

If Lambert is such a tactician he must be one of the worst at coaching his players because they all look just as clueless as him as soon as they step on the pitch.

Becuase only a handful of our players are good enough.

Well i can agree with that, but you don't need to be a great or even very good player to follow tactics.

Edited by sne

Well i can agree with that, but you don't need to be a great or even very good player to follow tactics.

I disagree on that, especially in the prem you do need to be a very good player to follow tactics.

A manager before the game can say pass it around don't just hoof it but if a player isn't good enough they won't try and pass it or beat a man when put under pressure, they will just hoof it. They won't be thinking about what the manager said before.

Â