Paul Lambert

limpid

Imagine if we sack him, someone else picks him up and he does an extremely good job. It'll be the same old 'what if' that villa fans have become somewhat accustomed to.

If Lambert goes on to good things then fair play but I think we have more chance of success if we have complete change.

I'd hate new owners to see their first round of investment being wasted on a guy already here. I think its important the owners bring in the man they want and back him.

Good response. (No sarcasm)

May I ask what your opinion would be if the new owners decided that they would give Lambert 6 months?

Historically speaking, that's what has happened in many take over cases.

I'd be pretty gutted and would question it from the start. I'm sure they haven't bought the club on a whim so I'd question why they either A haven't identified a manager they want or B weren't able to convince them to come. Edited by Big_John_10
  • Like 1

Imagine if we sack him, someone else picks him up and he does an extremely good job. It'll be the same old 'what if' that villa fans have become somewhat accustomed to.

If Lambert goes on to good things then fair play but I think we have more chance of success if we have complete change.

I'd hate new owners to see their first round of investment being wasted on a guy already here. I think its important the owners bring in the man they want and back him.

Good response. (No sarcasm)

May I ask what your opinion would be if the new owners decided that they would give Lambert 6 months?

Historically speaking, that's what has happened in many take over cases.

I'd be pretty gutted and would question it from the start. I'm sure they haven't bought the club on a whim so I'd question why they either A haven't identified a manager they want or B weren't able to convince them to come.

My advice to you would be not to be gutted.

As I said, Lambert will be under pressure straight away. There's no way new owners are going to put up with a very poor start. They're going to want a good start to their tenure.

I mean, me, you and no one else knows what's going to happen in the coming weeks and months. Let's just try and remain optimistic that good things are (hopefully) coming.

Then we can talk about which super star we can buy :-)

The problem i would have with keeping lambert on if we get new owners / more funds is that neither his tactics or the way we have played have shown any bit of class or ability. Fair enough if he had tried to get the team playing "Nice" football and failed because the players werent good enough, the opposition was at a different level or we simply had some bad luck. But every game has just been a show of tactical ineptness and an exercise of kicking the ball as far up field as we could and let the big man take care of it in the hope that we would get a goal. Im worried that letting him have a go at a larger transfer kitty just sets us up for another exercise of getting rid of players and rebuilding the team once more in six months. I acknowledge that he has had a quite stringent money purse to work with but id rather we just played it safe and let him go straight away than just keep him on because we think he might deserve it. Imo we need a bit more of a cut throat attitude at villa if we want to go for the top 6 spots in the league, both when it comes to managers and players, if there is no clear talent there just get rid of em. As much as it pains me to say it this applies to agbonlahor aswell, hes not very good but hes here because hes a villa boy and every once in a blue moon he has a good game. Getting tierd of weimanns shit too, infact alot of the players should go. Probably most of the training staff etc aswell. We cant be sentimental and make decisions on anything else than skills, atleast not if we want to go higher up the table. And for me lambert hasnt shown enough to be given another go here.

• Like 4

There's no way Lambert will be our manager next season. The new owners will want their own man in place.

So everyone keeps saying but based on previous takeovers there's not much reason to think otherwise.

I mean will they have followed us for the last 2 years? Will they ask randy for a reference on Lambert or will they ask the fans? I very much doubt they'll seek advice on whether to keep Lambert or not and will just ask randy.

There's no way Lambert will be our manager next season. The new owners will want their own man in place.

So everyone keeps saying but based on previous takeovers there's not much reason to think otherwise.

I mean will they have followed us for the last 2 years? Will they ask randy for a reference on Lambert or will they ask the fans? I very much doubt they'll seek advice on whether to keep Lambert or not and will just ask randy.

I suspect they will do a bit of research on the current manager before parting with 200 million pounds.

I suspect they will do a bit of research on the current manager before parting with 200 million pounds.

I doubt it, its the club they're buying not the manager. They'll know they can just replace him if needs be.

I doubt it, its the club they're buying not the manager. They'll know they can just replace him if needs be.

True but they will probably have an idea of whether he is the man they'd want in charge from the off. If his last 2 seasons in charge had shown progress they'd probably leave things as they were which is why I think he's a goner.

Why would new owners give Lambert money? And why if we have new owners with money would anyone rather Lambert get it to spend.

I think a few of your are going to be upset this summer when you're favourite manager is gone.

I actually think you're going to be dissapointed when Lambert stays. For me he's shown he can spend decent money on decent players. When he has chose to spend more money on a player, more than £3 mil, he's spent it well.
We'll see. I don't see any reason why new owners would spend a fortune buying the club when the season has finished and not bring in their own man.
The only reason I can think of, and it's a big one, is because they don't know enough about the club or sport yet to have "their own man". Likely they'd see how lambert did on a reasonable budget, but by no means big one, maybe the same transfer fees but a bit of relaxation on the wages, and see how that fares.

If they have a football man in mind to act as an advisor, which they might well but it's no certainty initially, then they'd likely have him bring in a replacement.

In most cases, new owners try not to upset the apple cart too much initially which is why we usually see changes happen within a year but not immediately.

Secondarily, we don't know what Randy will tell them. Perhaps he'll take full responsibility and say the performances have been down to budget and that the manager is fine

Edited by P3te

Given that Lerner has appointed houllier,mcleish and Lambert I would like to think new owners would not be taking any advice from randy

Edited by KHV

Why would new owners give Lambert money? And why if we have new owners with money would anyone rather Lambert get it to spend.

I think a few of your are going to be upset this summer when you're favourite manager is gone.

I actually think you're going to be dissapointed when Lambert stays. For me he's shown he can spend decent money on decent players. When he has chose to spend more money on a player, more than £3 mil, he's spent it well.
We'll see. I don't see any reason why new owners would spend a fortune buying the club when the season has finished and not bring in their own man.
The only reason I can think of, and it's a big one, is because they don't know enough about the club or sport yet to have "their own man". Likely they'd see how lambert did on a reasonable budget, but by no means big one, maybe the same transfer fees but a bit of relaxation on the wages, and see how that fares.

If they have a football man in mind to act as an advisor, which they might well but it's no certainty initially, then they'd likely have him bring in a replacement.

In most cases, new owners try not to upset the apple cart too much initially which is why we usually see changes happen within a year but not immediately.

Secondarily, we don't know what Randy will tell them. Perhaps he'll take full responsibility and say the performances have been down to budget and that the manager is fine

The performances are not down to the budget. They are down to Lambert being crap.

The performances are not down to the budget. They are down to Lambert being crap.

I never said it was. I merely said we don't know what Randy will tell them

When Randy bought Villa the old regime died on it's arse.

Ellis & DOL were immediately kicked into touch. ( I'm still celebrating.)

Therefore, chances are that any new regime would want to bring in their own people too.

In such circumstances I would be sorry to lose both Randy & Lambo as I believe they have both been harshly treated by many Villa supporters whose memory seems to be as short as their eye sight is myopic.

Randy put his money where his mouth was when he first rode into town & he certainly gave MON every opportunity to succeed.

In my opinion MON did succeed & would probably have progressed our club further had he stuck around. I know some fans won't agree with that deduction but that's their prerogative & ultimately we will never know now either way.

Randy was also correct in facing head on the financial melt down whereby our business plan of spending 102% of our turnover was unsustainable.

That folks is reality.

As for Lambert, even Randy acknowledges what a fabulous job he has done given his remit & the parameters he has had to work in.

Just my opinion ofcourse.

When Randy bought Villa the old regime died on it's arse.

Ellis & DOL were immediately kicked into touch. ( I'm still celebrating.)

Therefore, chances are that any new regime would want to bring in their own people too.

In such circumstances I would be sorry to lose both Randy & Lambo as I believe they have both been harshly treated by many Villa supporters whose memory seems to be as short as their eye sight is myopic.

Randy put his money where his mouth was when he first rode into town & he certainly gave MON every opportunity to succeed.

In my opinion MON did succeed & would probably have progressed our club further had he stuck around. I know some fans won't agree with that deduction but that's their prerogative & ultimately we will never know now either way.

Randy was also correct in facing head on the financial melt down whereby our business plan of spending 102% of our turnover was unsustainable.

That folks is reality.

As for Lambert, even Randy acknowledges what a fabulous job he has done given his remit & the parameters he has had to work in.

Just my opinion ofcourse.

I cant see Lambert has done a fabulous job at Villa. Ok he has probably done the minimum in keeping us up but club record defeats and club record home defeats plus mind-numbing bad football does not add much in the plus column for me.  Yes Lerner has put the money where his mouth is but well done for wasting millions of pounds and he is going now probably cut his losses and sell the club in the summer, with us in exactly the same position when he bought us in 2006 apart from a better training ground and a pub. Ellis is still laughing that he never put money into the club and earnt 20 million when he sold us to poor naive Randy 8 years ago.As for O'Leary he may have been a prat but coming 6th and 10th in his first 2 seasons is miles better than what Lambert has done, and he didn't exactly have millions to spend with Doug in charge in those days. Just saying like.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Seriously? He hit his glass ceiling and that was with significant investment from Lerner. He was tactically inept (far more than Lambert ever has been) and his insistence on only buying from the UK and his refusal to rotate are the main reasons why we never progressed beyond 6th. I dread to think of the financial situation the club would be in had Lerner continued to let him spunk money on mediocre British players.

• Like 1

Â