Paul Lambert

limpid

we're much better away than at home

17 pts from home fixtures and 17 pts from away fixtures.

You keep stating this like it proves we're not better away than we are at home. We're 10th in the away table and 18th in the home table.

I'm surprised at that, one of those myths that sometimes grows over the course of a season I guess. I suppose you could claim that there's a weighting attached to home games and having the same points away as at home suggests your home form isn't good enough, in our case, I think it just adds to the proof that we aren't good enough anywhere at the moment.

• Like 3

You keep stating this like it proves we're not better away than we are at home. We're 10th in the away table and 18th in the home table.

And again this is why looking at league position only doesn't always reflect the true picture.

I'm surprised at that, one of those myths that sometimes grows over the course of a season I guess. I suppose you could claim that there's a weighting attached to home games and having the same points away as at home suggests your home form isn't good enough, in our case, I think it just adds to the proof that we aren't good enough anywhere at the moment.

I was surprised as well. I guess we've played more home games but i'd imagine by the end of the year there won't be much between both records.

Like you say proof its not good enough.

I think it's far easier to defend him if you don't physically attend and sit through the dross dished up each week at VP.

Why?

Isn't that blatantly obvious ?

No. It isn't. Please explain.

If you PAY to go and watch this heap of shit, you are clearly going to suffer more than those that don't.

Did that really need pointing out ?

If you sit at home and listen to the match on radio/TV you aren't going to feel the full force anguish and shitstorm as you are at the ground obviously.

I pay, I'm a season ticket holder. I've not seen a shitstorm - there have been a couple of occassions where there's been chanting against the manager, there have been some awful games, some drab rubbish and some entertainment. I watch the away games on TV and don't go, we're much better away than at home. does that mean it's easier to defend the manager if you attend away games?

I too pay, with money and time, the former of which is easier to lay out than the latter.

I also have not seen a 'shitstorm'. Indeed, considering what has been on offer at home this season, VP is bathed in a kind of ambivalence that is inexplicable.

I would contest that the 'some entertainment' is a small 'some'. Most of what we have witnessed has been bloody awful.

But many of us will be there again next season, whether the manager is kicked out (as I think that he should be), or not.

Because it is our club, and we love it unconditionally.

• Like 1

I think it's far easier to defend him if you don't physically attend and sit through the dross dished up each week at VP.

Why?

If you PAY to go and watch this heap of shit, you are clearly going to suffer more than those that don't.

If you sit at home and listen to the match on radio/TV you aren't going to feel the full force anguish and shitstorm as you are at the ground obviously.

So paying makes you a better/more knowledgable fan?

Pulis has done brilliantly, but there is a ceiling on what he'll be able to achieve at Palace, and that ceiling is midtable at best. I don't want to see Villa coasting in midtable for the next twenty years, I want to see Villa back amongst the top 6 and competing for silverware, and the only way for us to do that is to build a team slowly and with young players. We simply don't have the money to do it any other way!

I think this puts its finger on the "delusion" I mentioned in my post.

There is no sense in which what we have now at Villa will develop into a squad that can compete for top 6 and cups. The players aren't good enough, most of them never will be, and Lambert will not be around for long enough to develop them substantively. The squad is very weak, as was demonstrated on Saturday when we had some key injuries. Little depth of competence and experience. Becoming a reliable mid-table side seems like good progress just at present.

His squad will have to be dismantled by someone else and we can but hope that a manager with a more pragmatic approach will be able to put us on a sounder footing.

Edited by briny_ear

Why?

So paying makes you a better/more knowledgable fan?

That isn't how I read it, he's talking about being more emotional involved when your time and money is being spent, which is a fair point imo.

Correct Penguin , it's the time and money you put into going that can make your fuse a lot shorter. I parked in a multi story in Southampton City centre last season for the epic 1-4 defeat. It took 90 mins just to get clear of the car park after the game. Trust me I was ready to do a Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

A few weeks later I watched the 0-5 loss at Ci£y at home on a stream. After the ref blew up I was able to calmly slam the laptop shut and get on with my day.

I think there's a difference .

Mourinho couldn't do any better than Lambert?!

Wow, I've heard some nonsense in my time but that has to be right up there. Why do clubs even bother with managers? Clearly overrated if any one of them will do exactly the same job as another in the same situation.

• Like 2

Just had a quick look and I counted 6 away losses to 10 home defeats so this is probably where the feeling of being better way is coming from and as people have said the fact the expectation is less when away.

We are all familiar with all these issues that get raised over and over again in this thread. I think it is an extreme exaggeration to say that Lambert had to rebuild the club from ground up" - he had experienced players such as Gabby, Guzan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Baker and Herd to draw on

so when he took over 1 experienced player. be surprised if rest had 100 Premier League games between them before Lambert came in

Just reading through the thread, as I've not been on for a day...

I think it is an extreme exaggeration to say that Lambert had to rebuild the club from ground up" - he had experienced players such as Gabby, Guzan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Baker and Herd to draw on.

Albrighton and Herd included in our list of 7 'experienced' players :D

Â