Paul Lambert

limpid

So far the only argument coming from the Lambertites appears to be -

A) there is nobody else available

B ) there is no money to spend

Ha, complete BS

A) there are lots of good , talented managers who would jump through hoops to manage us

B ) lambert has already had £40m so the no money argument is debunked

Edited by Electric Avenue

I just wonder, did Fulham have a better team/squad out than us yesterday?

They had a better team than us yesterday most definitely. I see some have used the injury argument as an excuse for where we find ourselves. I would certainly say that was a factor yesterday. I don't actually think we have been unfortunate with injuries this season though. I think the injuries we have had just highlight that overall our squad is very poor.

We have had two long term injuries. One to Okore who is 22 years old and had started one game for us when he got injured. Now the lad comes with a decent reputation in an inferior league but the same could be said for Tonev. I genuinely don't know how good the lad would have been this season. The other long term injury occurred in January. I have also noticed some include NZogbia in our long term injury list. Lets not kid ourselves Charles was very much in the bomb squad and in the same boat as Ireland, Bent, Hutton and Given.

Our other injuries have been short term and are simply part and parcel of football. Even Benteke in terms of this season cannot be considered long term. He missed a few games earlier in the season and will miss the last 7 games.

The bare facts of the matter are that injuries are no excuse over the course of the season. We have been as crap with our best 11 as we have with 2 or three players missing. We put arguably our strongest side out at Craven Cottage earlier in the season and performed worse than we did yesterday with three of our four best players missing.

I am extremely worried. We are almost two years into Lamberts reign and we have made zero progress. We may well finish with less points and lower than we did last season or slightly higher but its simply stagnation. You can't define our style of play as we don't have one. Despite a couple of months of improvement this season the defense once again looks a shambolic mess even with Vlaar in the side. We have no natural leaders in the side.

The squad needs a total overall. Too many players simply aren't good enough. We had two midfielders out yesterday and played with one left back and a guy who has played 90% of his games at right back for us in midfield. We have had a long term injury to a 22 year old centre back who has played his football in Denmark and the best we have to replace him with is Nathan Baker. A lad who gives 100% but is Championship standard at best. In fact you look at our side yesterday and many of them would struggle to get into a decent Championship side. You look at our bench and it was league one standard.

Lambert of course isn't totally to blame for or our ills. But 40 mill and two years down the line and to have made no improvement and not even be getting the basics right then I am sorry the manager has to carry his fair share of the blame. I am Lerners biggest critic on here but his failings cannot excuse the managers.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Ha, complete BS

A) there are lots of good , talented managers who would jump through hoops to manage us

I'd advise you to read people's posts more thoroughly because there have been more arguments than that.

• Like 1

Seems to be a majority percentage from other villa fans I've spoken to, this forum and others that want Lambert out, not just "the 'most vocal ones".

A poll would be a great addition to this thread to see the general consensus one way or another.

Out of the 20/30 season ticket holders from my local pub I can honestly say all of them want him out. It's not getting better it's getting worse

• Like 1

Having watched the team yesterday, for what was definitely the weakest Villa side I've ever seen play in the flesh, I am baffled as to how we've reached 34 points. Is that testament to Lambert's managerial prowess by the fact we look to be staying up again by the skin of our teeth with a squad filled with arguably a bunch of Championship standard players? His fault for buying them obviously, or has he desired to buy better players but not been able to?

I thought Tonev looked decent in possession, but looked like he didn't close down his man for the goal. Bacuna has the first touch of a player I'd expect to see playing in League 2 or below, and that is no understatement, he can get away with it at right back where he has more time but not in central midfield. Baker I reckon would do well to hold a place in the Championship - his physicality would stand him in good stead but he needs a lot of time of the ball. 

Whether Lambert's fault or not, this team is simply not good enough to do anything other than scrap to survive each season and we shouldn't expect any more under the current regime. The club deserves so much better.

Ha, complete BS

£40 million to essensually build 3/4 of a premier league squad? Pittance. This season we have been outspent by Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, West Ham, Hull, Fulham, Palace and Norwich. Not to mention the drop of our wage budget.

• Like 1

Ha, complete BS

The no money argument was debunked when we got beat in both cup competitions by league one opposition teams who were assembled on a fraction of ours

I can't fathom what more records Lambert could break next season should he still be in charge

Edited by AshVilla

I disagree with the squad needing an overhaul - it just needs a few quality players adding to it.

It needs an overhaul. Given, Hutton, Lowton, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Luna, Sylla, KEA, Westwood, Gardner, Tonev, Gabby, Wiemann, Bowery all need to be cleared out as they are not good enough.

I'd say that's an overhaul and a bloody big one.

Ha, complete BS

The no money argument was debunked when we got beat in both cup competitions by league one opposition teams who were assembled on a fraction of ours

Yeah it never got mentioned those nights for some reason.

If Lambert does stay (which I think is a definite) then I'd like him to get rid of some of the dross he has bought. There has been lots of talk about our transfer policy, that if a player we buy is poor, we buy them so cheap that we can make a profit or certainly not lose any money.

Bennett, Sylla, Bowery are musts that should be sold for me (the fact Sylla can't get on the pitch with only one natural central midfielder playing is scathing). They haven't worked out, show little to no signs of improvement so it is no time to be sentimental. Others I'd like to see go are Baker and Wiemann if we could cash in on any decent fee while he still has a slight representation. Tonev and Helenius deserve another season.

Does anyone know anything about Gabby's contract situation? How much is he already on? 50k a-week? I'd be pretty annoyed if his contract extension matches this (I refuse to believe he'd actually get a raise). I'd much rather this be put towards a new player when wages are such an issue for us.    

Ha, complete BS

£40 million to essensually build 3/4 of a premier league squad? Pittance. This season we have been outspent by Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, West Ham, Hull, Fulham, Palace and Norwich. Not to mention the drop of our wage budget.

Clearly the sides that have 'outspent' us felt that more improvements were needed. So the fact that Lambert felt that he had 'enough' in the way of playing resources is another example of his lack of both judgement and ability as a football manager

Ha, complete BS

Clearly the sides that have 'outspent' us felt that more improvements were needed. So the fact that Lambert felt that he had 'enough' in the way of playing resources is another example of his lack of both judgement and ability as a football manager

Lambert's never going to openly criticise the level of backing he's received from Lerner.

Wolves - Mcarthy.....Charlton - Curbishley........Sunderland - Bruce...........Bolton - Alerdyce.......the list of Clubs who got rid of Managers who didn't fit the aspirations of some fans and then ended up worse is almost infinite.

There is another big list where they stayted almost the same.

The list who have dramatically improved is almost non-existent.

Who at present ? Southampton ?

[/quote

You say the list is infinite but then have had to quote curbishly which happened over 20 yrs ago. As for it being virtually non existent to see improvements, off the top of my head.. Pullis at crystal palace, rosler at Wigan, redknapp at spurs, de boer at Ajax, Mon at us, Rodgers at Liverpool.

Now sometimes getting rid of the manager doesn't improve fortunes, but other times it does. For me Lambert hasn't done enough for us and I think at the end of season (changing now in my eyes is pointless) a new man should come in.

I didnt have to say Curbishley, I just did because someone had suggested him for us. As to your list - Pulis has been there 5 minuteS i am talking about imporvements in the long term - my God that is exactly the tiny thinking that leads to this madness - how can you possibly rate the job he has done/will do at Palace after that ? Rosler !!! what ? Long term ? how are his results a long term thing...no different to Keane at Sunderland, Poyet at Brigthton, endless - all he has done so far at Wigan is take an ex PL TEam and do well. Nothing there to show long term effectiveness of change - and anyway he was nt appointed through fans wanting Martinez out....Redknapp and Rodgers made impacts, but look at the squads they inherited and the money they spent.

None of them address my point that changing the Manager at many many Clubs for many many seasons leads to much other than them continuing in a position comensurate with their salaries.

Ha, complete BS

That is nowhere near the only arguments, I and others have written pages of stuff that covers a great many aspects. Feel free to express your opinions but please dont comment on stuff tou either havent read or dont understand.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

Ha, complete BS

Lambert's never going to openly criticise the level of backing he's received from Lerner.

As I stated before, when he took the job he knew exactly what the level of backing was, and accepted the job on that basis, presumably because he felt that he could deliver with it. He would not have any right to criticise or, more accurately, 'blame' on that point.

Ha, complete BS

As I stated before, when he took the job he knew exactly what the level of backing was, and accepted the job on that basis, presumably because he felt that he could deliver with it. He would not have any right to criticise or, more accurately, 'blame' on that point.

Who's to say he's not hitting the remit the board has set? Should they expect more? If so why?

Â