Paul Lambert

limpid

If you were enjoying the season before the previous 2 games then good for you. I wasn't. We averaged a point a game and were having a record low home form season.

No surprise you're back now because before the last 2 games you had little evidence to back up your opinion. I'll see how the season ends, hopefully it continues like the last two games.

I'm no more happy than you at the inconsistent form we are showing however I'm much more realistic in my expectations of what is achievable with a £40m squad and a slashed wage bill.

Lambert took over an absolute and utter shambles and has conscientiously and diligently gone about improving us little by little.....sorry that we are not delivering the consistent high quality, sintilating performances that you obviously expect, but £40m doesn't buy that in modern football

I can't be bothered to get sucked into the same debate with you over and over and over BJ

We don't have a 40 million squad unless you want to exclude Agbonlahor, Delph, Weimann, Baker, Clark and even Albrighton. With those players included our squad is worth a lot more than that.

This is the second or third time you've tried to make this point - what on earth are you talking about?? Did Lambert sign Agbonlahor, Delph, Weimann, Baker, Clark and even Albrighton??

No he didn't he signed the rest of the current squad for £40mill which is around £2-3mill a player.

Get off the scooby snacks shaggy.

This is the second or third time you've tried to make this point - what on earth are you talking about?? Did Lambert sign Agbonlahor, Delph, Weimann, Baker, Clark and even Albrighton??

No he didn't he signed the rest of the current squad for £40mill which is around £2-3mill a player.

No Lambert inherited them, which was Shaggy's point.

Edited by Isa

If you were enjoying the season before the previous 2 games then good for you. I wasn't. We averaged a point a game and were having a record low home form season.

No surprise you're back now because before the last 2 games you had little evidence to back up your opinion. I'll see how the season ends, hopefully it continues like the last two games.

And if it doesn't, what?

You get to come on here and type a big fat 'I told you all so', well done you.

That's more than a bit harsh. All the guy is doing is putting forward his opinion.

We have been brilliant over the last two games but not so good before that and he's only stating the truth.

Except we were fantastic against Liverpool, entertained against West Brom...

What annoys me is that whenever these bursts of good form happen certain people talk as though it is the first time it has happened, not only this season but under this manager. Then the next time we lose, as we may do next week, it's back to square one with them.

The fans are as inconsistent as the team.

Fans aren't being inconsistent in criticising a poor performance and praising a good one. It's just the nature of the game unless you expect praise no matter what?

I'm no more happy than you at the inconsistent form we are showing however I'm much more realistic in my expectations of what is achievable with a £40m squad and a slashed wage bill.

Lambert took over an absolute and utter shambles and has conscientiously and diligently gone about improving us little by little.....sorry that we are not delivering the consistent high quality, sintilating performances that you obviously expect, but £40m doesn't buy that in modern football

I can't be bothered to get sucked into the same debate with you over and over and over BJ

We don't have a 40 million squad unless you want to exclude Agbonlahor, Delph, Weimann, Baker, Clark and even Albrighton. With those players included our squad is worth a lot more than that.

I think his point is crystal clear, we don't have a £40m squad.

• Like 2

It's the second time because it wasn't answered the first time.

That's exactly my point. No lambert didn't sign those players yet they are still part of the squad so the actual value of the squad is way above 40m and maybe you need one or two snacks to be able to understand that.

I said earlier when we were going through our bad spell we had 5 important players(Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby and Benteke) when 4 or 5 play we're ok, but as soon as 2 or 3 are missing we fall apart. I still think this is the case, but most have been available since the turn of the year and have found form.

I still think he's had 3 poor windows on the trot. This summer is important and we have to start to sign quality rather than quantity. I hope, with the improved Premier League contract and more stable finances at the club we can change the 5 players to maybe 8 or 9 because when he's spent a little more money (Benteke, Vlaar, Kozak and Okore) they've all looked quality.

There is a difference between the estimated value of the squad and the cost of the squad. I'd say every one of the 16 players Lambert signed has either increased in value or stayed at the same value as we paid for them.

Out of all the players mentioned by Shaggy, Delph is the only one we paid for, so £40m or whatever it is plus £6.5m is the cost of our squad if you really want to be technical about it. Guessing at the value of players will differ from person to person, we won't truly know what any of the players you mentioned are worth now until they are sold.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 2

There is a difference between the estimated value of the squad and the cost of the squad. I'd say every one of the 16 players Lambert signed has either increased in value or stayed at the same value as we paid for them.

Out of all the players mentioned by Shaggy, Delph is the only one we paid for, so £40m or whatever it is plus £6.5m is the cost of our squad if you really want to be technical about it. Guessing at the value of players will differ from person to person, we won't truly know what any of the players you mentioned are worth now until they are sold.

I think you're missing the point shaggy was making

• Like 1

That doesn't change the fact that using terms like 'a £40m squad' is completely misleading.

My point was that 40 million is used to facilitate poor football by our team when that is just the figure Lambert has spent bringing new players to the club. It doesn't take into consideration players that were already at the club and current value of those players bring the overall value of our squad much higher than 40 million. It should not be a get out clause for poor football.

Edited by shaggy

I don't want to get into mean, median and modes there zzzzzzzzzzz but if you take Kozak and Benteke out of the equation Lambert has spent an average of 1.68m per player.

Just wanted to play with my calculator for a stat too.

• Like 1

Well its a £46.5m squad if you want to include the purchase of Delph then, isn't it?

How is that misleading?

It is misleading when used in the context and type of arguments it is. It's like Barça fans justifying getting thrashed by Real Madrid because their squad cost about half as much. It would be misleading because Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc. are being ignored if fee payed is the only thing that matters.

We don't really know how much this squad cost, your all arguing over semantics we don't really know the answer to because fees are in the majority are "undisclosed".

Lambert has essentially rebuilt 3 quarters of a squad on a relatively small budget in a short period of time. I don't think it's been done on this scale successfully before in the Premier League. If as I expect now we finish 10th I think he's done/doing a very good job. Yes he's made mistakes and yes the football can improve but I hope this will achieve with a better quality of player.

• Like 4

its not even 40m its 37.5m :P

Call it 44m for shaggys purposes

The accounts show a £21.7m spend in the last season and a £18.9m spend this. Remind me how that totals £37.5?

I don't want to get into mean, median and modes there zzzzzzzzzzz but if you take Kozak and Benteke out of the equation Lambert has spent an average of 1.68m per player.

Just wanted to play with my calculator for a stat too.

Why take Kozak and Benteke out of the equation though?

Â