Paul Lambert

limpid

I still think that this summer's purchases will disappoint those of us hoping for real quality signings. I'm fairly sure that we will not be prepared to offer big enough wages to attract the right players. Hoolahan will probably still be a target as an ageing player on relatively low wages, but a £20/25 thousand a week wage cap will limit our other targets to hopeful rather than proven signings. I'm sure the plan is for Lambert to develop these "young hungry" players, but on the evidence of his first eighteen months at Villa I don't think that's his forte. Lambert appears to work best with a mature band of seasoned warriors, I really believe that he is out of his depth trying to develop a young squad.

Some info to throw in. Some of you might follow @indykaila on twitter. Always seems to be right with his rumours and has a good track record of them turning out correct. Anyway he reckons Lambert is gone in the summer.

Some info to throw in. Some of you might follow @indykaila on twitter. Always seems to be right with his rumours and has a good track record of them turning out correct. Anyway he reckons Lambert is gone in the summer.

I always thought he had an awful record and was a bit of a joke on Twitter.

Question is Mr Penguin will you be happy if we stay up and then spend the same budget on just a few signings of a higher value due to our new financial strength?

So we have two shit seasons to create financial strength and then spend exactly the same as we did before our financial strength? Why would you be happy with that?

What 'financial strength' are people going on about?

Ah you obviously haven't heard about 'the plan'

Ah you obviously haven't heard about 'the plan'

Heard plenty.

I just think it's prudent to wait until the evidence is there to support the claims/hopes.

Agreed and from what we've seen so far I'd be surprised if 'the plan' was there to turn us into a competitive team again.

The fans have a responsibility to support the team in difficult times regardless of quality on the pitch.

This is 2013 not 1913 so I think you will find that the players are the ones that get highly paid so they have the responsibility to entertain their paying public.

Stop being so Pongo Waring.

Why even watch modern football if you have that attitude? It is 2014 not 2013. Last season (2013) the fans carried us to victories against Sunderland and QPR, we need to display this spirit once again and get behind the players.

I was referring to the season start date (2013), I am fully aware of what year it is.

There will be no repeat of the thrashing that we gave to Sunderland (fans support or not). The team are not capable of it now as the tactics employed do not create sufficient amount of chances.

People have changed, they won't tolerate garbage week after week and year after year and blindly suffer it without venting their frustration and annoyance. If you think that people are going to watch dross and stand there singing their hearts out and dancing on the terraces (I am well aware of the fact that we don't stand up anymore too) then you are living in a bygone age.

• Like 1

Entertaining, attacking football today maybe 3-0 Villa and we will be singing to our hearts content. 0-0 or a loss and I think I may be joining in the boo boys. No excuses today Norwich is more than winnable. It'll be about tactics today and out smarting Haughton, though with Lambert this is exactly what I worry about at home.

Would like to see his third proper transfer window and third season in charge before judging the job he has done.

He was appointed fairly early on wasn't he? I'd have said he's had four now.

Would like to see his third proper transfer window and third season in charge before judging the job he has done.

He was appointed fairly early on wasn't he? I'd have said he's had four now.
Realised my mistake, you mean summer windows.

I personally think with all the players he has booted out Lambert has always needed to get a few numbers in on the cheap.

Last Spring it looked like it had worked for him. This year it hasn't.

If we can hang on this season without going down then I don't think numbers will be so much of an issue in the future. Lambert could focus on getting in 4 or 5 better players that would go straight into the team.

But for the time being he has to show a bit of grit and nous to see us through the last 11 games.

Yep this is how I see it.

I still think that this summer's purchases will disappoint those of us hoping for real quality signings. I'm fairly sure that we will not be prepared to offer big enough wages to attract the right players. Hoolahan will probably still be a target as an ageing player on relatively low wages, but a £20/25 thousand a week wage cap will limit our other targets to hopeful rather than proven signings. I'm sure the plan is for Lambert to develop these "young hungry" players, but on the evidence of his first eighteen months at Villa I don't think that's his forte. Lambert appears to work best with a mature band of seasoned warriors, I really believe that he is out of his depth trying to develop a young squad.

We don't have a wage cap.

I hate accounts like that, reports things that have been rumoured for months and then when it actually happens he retweets every tweet gushing about how legit he is.

Quite surprised people actually believe that despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise. Seems the pr crap they give out to kendrick to report does get bought by some fans then.

Suppose you believe we made a substantial bid for a mystery player too?

My point is, for those 6, we could have bought in much,much needed quality and experience.

Could we though? I doubt any of those 6 players are on more than £25k a week.

Would Hoolahan have cost more? Would sensible loans have cost more?

Because that money will be spent on half the amount of players than before. It will be about bringing in quality rather than quantity.

Sorry mate but that is absolute tosh.

How is buying 'quantity' of the type that includes Luna, Tonev, Helenlius, KEA, and Sylla in any way defendable.

I would even go so far as adding Kozak to that list.

The team 'manages'' week in week out without those players, not one of them is a regular starter.

So, the money spent on them could of gone on 2-3 quality first teamers last summer.

We needed an injection of quality and experience last summer, and certainly in January.

Lambert either does not see that or refuses to address it.

Personally, I think he is unable to manage 'big' players which is why he surrounds himself with this young and hungry bollox.

Because spending a Max of £3 mil on any player will only buy you quantity. We needed a squad and those players bar tonev and helenius have all played a part. They are not the greatest players which is why they will be replaced and become squad players like sylla has done. Sadly these players were bought as a stop gap and being able to spend £7 mil on a player rather than £1 mil will be done.

Its got absolutely nothing to do with lambert not being able to handle a 'big' player. This statement has absolutely no basis behind it considering the clubs he's been out it can't be proved.

Why are you assuming that spending 3m per player was the only way to spend his budget? He did not have to make the drastic cuts he did so quickly and it's for that very reason that the results have been consistently shite under him.

I personally think with all the players he has booted out Lambert has always needed to get a few numbers in on the cheap.

Last Spring it looked like it had worked for him. This year it hasn't.

If we can hang on this season without going down then I don't think numbers will be so much of an issue in the future. Lambert could focus on getting in 4 or 5 better players that would go straight into the team.

But for the time being he has to show a bit of grit and nous to see us through the last 11 games.

Yep this is how I see it.

Let's call it an unwillingness to pay competitive wages then. The club's financial planning is clearly based on a low wage policy. I'm guessing there will be no exceptions to that policy. That actually sounds like a "cap" to me.

I hate accounts like that, reports things that have been rumoured for months and then when it actually happens he retweets every tweet gushing about how legit he is.

Based on what logic would Lambert be gone in the summer?

From his perspective he knew what he was coming into and has towed the party line of the owner impeccably in keeping the club's head above water while the finances were brought back into order. From the owners perspective, the manager has done exactly as he wanted and based on his experience with MON and the post MON era, he must be thrilled he has got this semi capable dope on the rope doing exactly as he wants.

Gone in the summer?

Never gonna happen!

Bottom line is the 6 players listed above are rubbish bar Kozak

I agree that maybe they aren't the greatest of players, but as I stated above, I believe at least 4 of them needed to be signed. 

No, good players needed to be signed!

Â