Paul Lambert

limpid

That would be true, if it was Manchester United and Sir Alex Ferguson we were talking about.

Ferguson became successful after a sufficient period of time and a huge amount of funding let us remember. Lambert has been in charge for 18 months and has had a minute budget to work with. Progress has been made in that duration of time, albeit slight. The club vitally needs stability and a vision, it has done for the last thirty years in my opinion.

But this is Paul Lambert, and there's like three weeks since the majority wanted him sacked and we had an own thread named after that. This is also a manager that has shipped in 135 goals in two seasons with AVFC and Norwich, who is struggling to get his side to play with an identity and who is struggling to get a hold of the transfer market.

No disrespect but that is a load of rubbish. There has never been a majority that has wanted him sacked, it has been the loud minority that want(ed) him out based on the whim of a few bad results (neglecting confidence, injuries and funding factors). The identity is there! We are young side that is actively looking develop and become a consistent winning team, that is the vague long term aim. We set out to win under Lambert no matter who is the opposition, results have shown this to be the case.

Opinions are plentiful surrounding Lambert, but to say they are divided would be the most diplomatic. To then say it's the best business to sign him up and brilliant news for the club does not compute, at least not in my book.

Who is the alternative? Who is the guy that is better than Lambert and can work within the same structure? I want to know. All I keep seeing is how lucky Lambert is but never a creditable suggestion is presented to replace him.

We are a billion miles away from where Lambert every manager in the world wants to be. That is the thing that motivates me, it is going to be some journey if Lambert someone can pull it off.

David O'Leary and Alex McLeish certainly do not fit that altered statement above. Those two could write a book on making excuses and living for today rather than the future.

I'm very much of the opinion that it has been the majority that have wanted him sacked. If you take what you hear at the matches anyway. I go with a range of folks, maybe 5 in total and at least 4 of those would love to see the back of him pronto. Don't assume everyone sees something that a few on here do, all i see is woeful shite 80% of the time i bother to turn up anymore.

And the stats back it up nicely.

Lambert may even not sign the contract, I sure don't think he'll be in any rush to do so.

a little glimmer of hope in a gloomy week

• Like 1

I'm very much of the opinion that it has been the majority that have wanted him sacked. If you take what you hear at the matches anyway. I go with a range of folks, maybe 5 in total and at least 4 of those would love to see the back of him pronto. Don't assume everyone sees something that a few on here do, all i see is woeful shite 80% of the time i bother to turn up anymore.

Lambert may even not sign the contract, I sure don't think he'll be in any rush to do so.

Based on what? Have you been round and asked everyone their views?

If a majority want him sacked, then how come that isn't even reflected on VT?

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Talking of absolute rubbish. You haven't half spouted some there, 'we set out to win no matter who is the opposition' ? don't make me laugh.

As for an identity. Being a 'young team' is no more an identity trait than defining Status Quo as being a bunch of old blokes (which they are but it doesn't tell me anything about their music).

An identity is surely defined by your style of play not the age of your squad ?

And thus, we don't have one.

Not this shit again Morpheus. You are about the only one who thinks that Lambert's signings record has been poor. Or maybe the only one who can't take the whole picture into consideration. To state that this ratio of successful signings has been poor as some kind of fact is ridiculous and a bit pathetic.

No he is not - just because you don't agree with him, no need to make things up. There are quite a few people who will look at Paul Lambert's record in teh transfer market and question if they have been any good. That and many things are not anything to praise him about.

On the subject of offering him another extended contract then it confirms that Lerner et al are certainly no real good judges of what is needed at AVFC. Lambert should have been told in no uncertain terms that he needs to improve in so many ways before he gets a better deal from the club not seemingly rewarded for what is a season and half of poor performances and records being broken for the wrong reasons

As long as Randy gets the TV money and we are looking safe, it wont happen. Sad but true

• Like 1

Based on what? Have you been round and asked everyone their views?

If a majority want him sacked, then how come that isn't even reflected on VT

I'm judging by what i discuss with fellow supporters and hear at the matches. You're judging it the opposite based on what you read on here. Is either more scientific ?

I rarely heard as many grumbles at a match under McLeish than i do now. Lambert is the luckiest Villa manager in history, if he'd followed anyone else but McLeish he'd have had the sack and been driven out of the city long ago

4/5. What a huge representative sample to be able to claim 'the majority' want him sacked.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I'm judging by what i discuss with fellow supporters and hear at the matches. You're judging it the opposite based on what you read on here. Is either more scientific ?

I rarely heard as many grumbles at a match under McLeish than i do now. Lambert is the luckiest Villa manager in history, if he'd followed anyone else but McLeish he'd have had the sack and been driven out of the city long ago

And how many do you talk to?

I wouldn't say either is particularly scientific, but you can get a better access to a broader range of people on here. Most posts also aren't made in the heat of the match, where people's emotions can get the better of them.

And for the record I haven't detected that much animosity towards Lambert at matches. Sure there's groaning, but that happens at pretty much every ground most of the time anyway.

• Like 1

Talking of absolute rubbish. You haven't half spouted some there, 'we set out to win no matter who is the opposition' ? don't make me laugh.

How is that talking rubbish? Yet you offer no rebuttal to what I have said just ridicule, great. We have beaten the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City this season "playing to win" this season, I guess you are not happy unless we are top of the league and smashing record after record for brilliance. Totally clueless. 

As for an identity. Being a 'young team' is no more an identity trait

An identity is surely defined by your style of play not the age of your squad ?

:crylaugh: You are doubting yourself.

And thus, we don't have one.

Yes, Lambert does no preparation and sends them out on Saturday with no instructions or tactics. Great.  :)

Edited by GENTLEMAN

4/5. What a huge representative sample to be able to claim 'the majority' want him sacked.

4 out of 5 of his mates as well  :clap:

I find it funny that we shouldn't "assume everyone sees something that a few on here do" yet we should assume that the majority think the same as his 4 mates do. 

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 3

Rollover for soundVilla have appointed three managers since Martin O’Neill left in August 2010 and Lerner is reluctant to avoid any more upheaval at the club.

Yeh, that's not what he means, is it?

Bloody illiterate sports journalists.

Means correcting personal mistakes that have cost in the excess of 10m, appointing the ginger (he stall not be named) and MON's unsanctioned spending sprees etc.

Edited by Avflife

And how many do you talk to?

I wouldn't say either is particularly scientific, but you can get a better access to a broader range of people on here. Most posts also aren't made in the heat of the match, where people's emotions can get the better of them.

And for the record I haven't detected that much animosity towards Lambert at matches. Sure there's groaning, but that happens at pretty much every ground most of the time anyway.

Poll please!! :)

Out of the 6/7 lads I meet up with at the football only 1 regularly says they want Lambert out Ulver. They may not be happy with the style of football and neither am I but that's totally different to wanting him to leave.

That was my first thought, classic Dougism right there. "Ooh, we just missed out on signing Frank Lampard".

January is a tough month to do business though. The summer should be interesting if this interest in a "substantial signing" is true.

The world cup and players being on holiday will be the excuse in the next window.

That was my first thought, classic Dougism right there. "Ooh, we just missed out on signing Frank Lampard".

January is a tough month to do business though. The summer should be interesting if this interest in a "substantial signing" is true.

The world cup and players being on holiday will be the excuse in the next window.

We will see.

The best business we could do is get him to sign his contract.  Brilliant news for the club if he signs

Would you have given McLeish a new contract?

I do not see how it is 'brilliant news for the club if he signs' because he has done nothing yet to be worthy of a new contract. Indeed Lambert's performance and the performance of the team under him has been more worthy of the sack.

• Like 1

Â