Paul Lambert

limpid

Thanks for the explanation. :lol:

What has disappointmed me in Lambert is that he seems to stick with his favourite players, and doesn't give chances for own youth players...similarly like MON. I can't believe that Carruthers and Grealish would be possibly any worse than "Atomic Strike" Tonev.

I don't understand this at all. If Lambert is sticking with his favourite players then how come Weimann kept on getting game time even when he was in bad form? Delph has been a stalwart in midfield for us whereas El-Ahmadi doesn't appear all the time and Sylla barely features at all. Likewise Helenius has got hardly any game time. As far as I know most of our youth players just aren't ready yet.

Tonev doesn't appear much for us anyway.

Maybe because Delph and Weimann are his favourite players? Tonev has gotten game time but not lately though, that is true. I'd say sticking with Weimann when was horribly off the form shows that he is one of his favourite players. Delph has been our best player all throughout the season so drobbing him wouldn't make any sense.

What does that say about the majority of his signings though?

What has disappointmed me in Lambert is that he seems to stick with his favourite players, and doesn't give chances for own youth players...similarly like MON. I can't believe that Carruthers and Grealish would be possibly any worse than "Atomic Strike" Tonev.

I don't understand this at all. If Lambert is sticking with his favourite players then how come Weimann kept on getting game time even when he was in bad form? Delph has been a stalwart in midfield for us whereas El-Ahmadi doesn't appear all the time and Sylla barely features at all. Likewise Helenius has got hardly any game time. As far as I know most of our youth players just aren't ready yet.

So you know what it meant all along? Wow hilarious stuff.

So you know what it meant all along? Wow hilarious stuff.

What, berk? I didn't know what it meant until people explained it. That's why I asked. :wacko:

Edited by Mantis

When he inevitably walks in the Summer, I'll be frustrated because despite his failings (a large number are his own fault, I add), if he keeps us up then he's done a good job. This club is not one that acts like a Premier League one. I don't agree with a number of the things he has done this season, but he's still doing a better job than I imagine anyone else willing to work in these conditions would.

So very frustrating. It'll be interesting to see how season tickets sell this Summer. And how much bullshit and spin is thrown our way to try to sell them.

I just didn't get the laughing face. Apologies, assumed you were laughing because we explained it.

Nope, was laughing because I had to have it explained to me in the first place.

That makes more sense. Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

• Like 1

We got rid of the " Why Paul Lambert should get the sack" too early imo.

It's all the same story, we get a good result and then in the following games we take 2 steps back.

How is this progression? These next weeks will be crucial for us!

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

We are relegation condenders, I can't see us picking up many points in the upcoming games. I thought Lambert where on to something, but yesterday he really showed he's true picture.

It's all the same story, we get a good result and then in the following games we take 2 steps back.

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

We are relegation condenders, I can't see us picking up many points in the upcoming games. I thought Lambert where on to something, but yesterday he really showed he's true picture.

I bet you thought we'd get beaten by Liverpool and West Brom as well? A loss away to Cardiff, 2 points from West Ham and Norwich?! we may be poor but we can pick up more than 2 points from those 3 games. That's just being negative for the sake of it.

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

We lose to the 5th placed team (2-1, at that) and we're suddenly relegation candidates? No way. It's conceivable we may become relegation candidates if we have a run of bad form but there's 10 teams below us and they can't ALL win, especially given the strength of the top four or five teams.

Let's fret about relegation when we're in and around the relegation zone, eh? No point worrying that it's possible we might get relegated.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

All those games are winnable, even the game against Newcastle who have been severely weakened by losing their best player. 

• Like 1

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

We played defensively against a top 5 team who struggle to break down tough and organised defenses, if Lambert had reacted appropriately to how the game unfolded second half, we would have come away with 3 awesome points. Alas we didn't, one Vlaar mistake and a wonder goal later, we lose.

We won't set up in a similar manner against those sides, possibly Newcastle, but I've not really watched them this season and don't know how they play.

For West Ham, we'll most likely set up with the diamond again, similar to WBA, and we'll win, as long as Nolan is dealt with.

As for Cardiff, don't let a win against Norwich fool you, they're piss poor, they hadn't won in 7 games before yesterday, and with their squad, I can't see them suddenly going on a winning run. We'll probably set up like Plop, close down quickly and try beat them on the counter, I imagine Gabby should be back by then, and I think we'll rip them to shreds, as we did for the first half v Plop.

Newcastle, tough to say how we'll play, and they're almost as inconsistent as us, I don't know how we'll set up against them but i think it'll hinge on their next two games, if they hit form again, we may set up defensively, try nullify Ben Arfa, if they continue to slump, I reckon we'll go for the throat.

Norwich, I imagine Lambert will desperately want to win and we'll really go at them in that game, and i think we'll set up either with the diamond or go for our 433 from last season.

I think we'll set up in the ways I've outlined above, and that will get us between 7-10 points, possibly even 12, although that is a stretch.

I don't think yesterday showed Lambert's "true picture", he set up in a way that stopped Everton, it worked, but he made poor decisions in the second half which cost us inevitably. We have good enough players to deal with the teams around us, but aren't quite good enough to deal with teams above us yet, hence the more defensive formations.

You can't approach every game in the same manner, if you're not world class, you get quickly found out and exploited, you need to tweak for each game and sometimes even play completely different systems to counter teams.

• Like 3

I think we should be able to rack up a few points from the up and coming fixtures. Newcastle looked in shambles today to ,an albeit strong, Sunderland. Personally I think we'll be able to beat West Ham for one and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Do you think lambert sees any of the football during the 90 mins of each game or do you think he's just seeing flash backs of the trollolol guy song? I often wonder what he's really thinking about on the touch line - I had the same thing with o'deary but I imagined he was wondering what his mom had cooked him for dinner on the evening.

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

We played defensively against a top 5 team who struggle to break down tough and organised defenses, if Lambert had reacted appropriately to how the game unfolded second half, we would have come away with 3 awesome points. Alas we didn't, one Vlaar mistake and a wonder goal later, we lose.

We won't set up in a similar manner against those sides, possibly Newcastle, but I've not really watched them this season and don't know how they play.

For West Ham, we'll most likely set up with the diamond again, similar to WBA, and we'll win, as long as Nolan is dealt with.

As for Cardiff, don't let a win against Norwich fool you, they're piss poor, they hadn't won in 7 games before yesterday, and with their squad, I can't see them suddenly going on a winning run. We'll probably set up like Plop, close down quickly and try beat them on the counter, I imagine Gabby should be back by then, and I think we'll rip them to shreds, as we did for the first half v Plop.

Newcastle, tough to say how we'll play, and they're almost as inconsistent as us, I don't know how we'll set up against them but i think it'll hinge on their next two games, if they hit form again, we may set up defensively, try nullify Ben Arfa, if they continue to slump, I reckon we'll go for the throat.

Norwich, I imagine Lambert will desperately want to win and we'll really go at them in that game, and i think we'll set up either with the diamond or go for our 433 from last season.

I think we'll set up in the ways I've outlined above, and that will get us between 7-10 points, possibly even 12, although that is a stretch.

I don't think yesterday showed Lambert's "true picture", he set up in a way that stopped Everton, it worked, but he made poor decisions in the second half which cost us inevitably. We have good enough players to deal with the teams around us, but aren't quite good enough to deal with teams above us yet, hence the more defensive formations.

You can't approach every game in the same manner, if you're not world class, you get quickly found out and exploited, you need to tweak for each game and sometimes even play completely different systems to counter teams.

You can only play different systems with players who are good enough to adapt. We don't yet have enough good players to do that.

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

But yet we have been unexpectedly beating teams above us and inexplicably losing to teams around us.

West Ham (h) 1 pt

Cardiff (a) 0 pts

Newcastle (a) 0 pts

Norwich (h) 1 pt

It's Everton man, Everton. It's not like we played against Barcelona or something, they are winnable. We played an exellent game against their neighbours which are on the same level as them. Yes you can say that we missed Agbonlahor, but one man alone can't do everything on his own, it was an overall great team performance on the day.

You are saying our first half was good while the second half was poor? No. Everton were poor in the first half, in second they played at their average level performance, and completly dominated us.

I can't believe some of the fans, i really can't. Still supporting him after that perfoirmance, wow. Any manager that actually line up Benteke and Holt in the same team as a striker duo is completely lost, that alone is enough for me to judge Lambert. You can maybe accept the horrible anti football hes serving us, but i don't. I think Aston Villa is a great club, with a huge history, and i won't accept to see my team in that shape, it's just not acceptable. 

While everyone were applauding our team in the first half, i think i were the only one who actually were hugely dissapointed with our play, and i were hammered for it, but look what happened in the end? It were allways a matter of time, that we would concede, and of course we did. Fans can be really obsessed with "results" sometimes, but i do allways look behind results, i'm seeing the big picture in games, and i allways knew from the time i saw our lineup that we were going to lose.

We had one shot on target in the whole game, ONE. And people were applauding our first half? How was it good? Again we created ONE chance. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Got to agree with a lot of what Villalad said in that post!

I watched the game and couldn't believe to hear people happy at half time. The only positive was that we'd scored. That also came from probably the only time we played football in the match. I said to those around me that there was absolutely no way we'd get anything out of the game if we continued to play that way. It was blindingly obvious.

That Everton side was not better than the Liverpool side that we dominated a couple of weeks ago. The contrast in our style of play in those two games was unbelievable. And, like Villalad said, one man - Gabby - shouldn't make that much difference to us.

I'm still not giving up on Lambert but he really needs to get that ridiculous system of 3 centre backs out of his head. It might be the way some of the foreign teams are going but it kills us nearly every time we use it. No wonder the players look like they don't know whether they're coming or going most of the time!

It's Everton man, Everton. It's not like we played against Barcelona or something, they are winnable. We played an exellent game against their neighbours which are on the same level as them. Yes you can say that we missed Agbonlahor, but one man alone can't do everything on his own, it was an overall great team performance on the day.

You are saying our first half was good while the second half was poor? No. Everton were poor in the first half, in second they played at their average level performance, and completly dominated us.

I can't believe some of the fans, i really can't. Still supporting him after that perfoirmance, wow. Any manager that actually line up Benteke and Holt in the same team as a striker duo is completely lost, that alone is enough for me to judge Lambert. You can maybe accept the horrible anti football hes serving us, but i don't. I think Aston Villa is a great club, with a huge history, and i won't accept to see my team in that shape, it's just not acceptable. 

While everyone were applauding our team in the first half, i think i were the only one who actually were hugely dissapointed with our play, and i were hammered for it, but look what happened in the end? It were allways a matter of time, that we would concede, and of course we did. Fans can be really obsessed with "results" sometimes, but i do allways look behind results, i'm seeing the big picture in games, and i allways knew from the time i saw our lineup that we were going to lose.

We had one shot on target in the whole game, ONE. And people were applauding our first half? How was it good? Again we created ONE chance. 

No, they're not Barca, but that's why playing that way v Barca only works if your Chelsea/Inter.

We set up differently v Liverpool, because they play differently. They attack at pace and play the ball behind the defence, and they way to stop that is get in their faces and stop them making those balls. Everton keep the ball, slowly build up and try exploit lapses in concentration, and they whip in crosses when that doesn't work. The best way to counter a team that does that? Let them have the ball and force them to try do something that unlocks a stubborn defence. If we'd played like that v Liverpool, Suarez would have torn us a new one.

Ask yourself, why were Everton poor first half? Because we frustrated them and reduced them to pot shots and that one McGeady chance early on. They couldn't work out how to get past us, that's why the first half was good. Of course it would have been better to have some more chances, if Gabby was fit, I'm certain we would have had more. Second half they got better because Lambert failed to adapt to how the game unfolded, and we lost because of it. And that's not even taking into account Vlaar's awful positioning for their equaliser and a world class winner.

As for Holt, I've explained a couple times now, and seems to get totally ignored every time, that although he wasn't very good himself, his mere presence forced Jagielka to watch him closely and take some heat off of Benteke. Weimann wouldn't have garnered the same amount of attention, as if you tightly mark him you'll quickly get tired as he runs around a lot so defenders don't tightly mark him. Holt is known to be a bit of a bruiser and was a handful at Norwich if he was allowed to get the ball, so Jagielka didn't let him get the ball, at the expense of not doubling up on Benteke, leaving just Distin to deal with him.

Being "obsessed with results", isn't that the whole **** point of football? We lost yesterday, ergo our whole performance wasn't good enough. But I couldn't give two shits if we had 1% possession and 1 shot all game if it meant we win every game 1-0. An extreme example, but at the end of the day if negative tactics get results, performance doesn't matter. It didn't get results yesterday, but it could have if the right changes were made during the match.

villarocker, I agree that we couldn't of gotten anything out of the game by keeping it up for 90 minutes, I've criticised Lambert a lot for it over the last few pages, but the starting line-up and formation nullified Everton perfectly how they started game, the main tactical balls up yesterday was not adapting during the game.

• Like 2

"We were good in the first half". Not quite. We were comfortable in the first half.

That all changed when Martinez substituted Pienaar on at half time to operate down the left, then gave instructions for their right back to push forward, effectively playing a 3-5-2.  Against our horrid 5-2-3 formation that guaranteed control of the football, which was played almost entirely in our half.

What was Lambert's response? Swap to 5-3-2 with KEA for Holt. So our midfield is now only outnumbered by 2 instead of 3. Whenever our midfield actually won the ball, the majority of our players are sitting behind them. What other choice do they have but hoof it up to Benteke for a percentage play?

Horrid, horrid formation having 5 a the back. He got lucky with it a couple of times, which is a shame because he now persists with it. We have better shape and play more attacking football by limiting our backline to 4 - something that was obvious out of last season. Why do we never learn?

• Like 1

Â