Paul Lambert

limpid

2 defeats in 6 league games (Everton, Arsenal) yet one poor performance and it is meltdown again. Why do the poor performances always bring out the stronger opinions, 1 bad performance in 5 games, yet fans forgot about the 4 good performances

Sunderland have lost 1 in 9 league games that was against Villa,

Liverpool won 8 from 9 home games the one they did not vs Villa.

You're just highlighting moments to back your argument. How about our 4 losses in a row that even Mcleish didn't do?

I just want to know why we went to Liverpool and played some fine stuff and got a result. 0-2 down to West Brom, we attack and get a result. He changed a winning team against an Everton team without a striker and whimpered away with a loss.

Edited by Daniel

So we should ignore those good performances?

Let's face it, since the new year we've been quite decent. No point in getting all panicky over one bad game.

There have been bad games spread out across the season now, plus the last time Vlaar was out we didn't win in five games. If that happens again we could be bottom three.

Agree - I have been saying this since August. Even at the quoted 90k pw - Lescot until the end of the season would have cost us under £2m.

I really don't see Lambert sticking around unless he gets more backing - mind you with Chairman who was last at Villa Park in December 2012 (14 months ago!!) its not surprising... 

We have been acting like a newly promoted side or a much smaller club for too long. We are one of the most established top flight clubs ffs. With Vlaar out we should have adequate cover, Gabby out we should have adequate cover, Delph out we should have adequate cover. You could even say the same with Bertrand now that if he is out the cover is poor.

I have been saying all season you get our first 11 on the pitch week in week out and we'll be fine and finish comfortably mid table. Football doesn't work like that though sadly and you will get injuries/suspensions. Scratch below our fist 11 and in the main the quality is very poor which is why with two or three injuries to our first 11 and we really struggle. For a club of our size and standing it is a disgrace and simply not good enough.

Once again Mark, spot on. Especially the bit about us acting like a promoted club.

I thought Vlaar reactions for their goal were quite poor. I wonder if he was already injured at the point.

We really were second best all over the field today and didn't deserve anything from the game. Maybe a point for efforts at the back. It's really hard to put your finger on why we are so lightweight at times.

I went to the game i honestly thought we were poor some on here mentioned when winning we cant finish it off.I truely believe everton won fair and square and i was going crazy yesterday when we signed nobody. This season will take more twists but i really hope our luck dosnt runout come may. I thought lambert looked shocked we conceded the second goal what did he expect,

he needs to train ball retention we just dont keep the ball enough.UTV

2 defeats in 6 league games (Everton, Arsenal) yet one poor performance and it is meltdown again. Why do the poor performances always bring out the stronger opinions, 1 bad performance in 5 games, yet fans forgot about the 4 good performances

Sunderland have lost 1 in 9 league games that was against Villa,

Liverpool won 8 from 9 home games the one they did not vs Villa.

1 bad performance in 5 games?

Todays game has been similar to the vast majority of this season. The last two games haven't.

Simple as that really.

12th in the form guide, only 2 teams below us in the league are in better form then we are

Agree - I have been saying this since August. Even at the quoted 90k pw - Lescot until the end of the season would have cost us under £2m.

I really don't see Lambert sticking around unless he gets more backing - mind you with Chairman who was last at Villa Park in December 2012 (14 months ago!!) its not surprising...

We have been acting like a newly promoted side or a much smaller club for too long. We are one of the most established top flight clubs ffs. With Vlaar out we should have adequate cover, Gabby out we should have adequate cover, Delph out we should have adequate cover. You could even say the same with Bertrand now that if he is out the cover is poor.

I have been saying all season you get our first 11 on the pitch week in week out and we'll be fine and finish comfortably mid table. Football doesn't work like that though sadly and you will get injuries/suspensions. Scratch below our fist 11 and in the main the quality is very poor which is why with two or three injuries to our first 11 and we really struggle. For a club of our size and standing it is a disgrace and simply not good enough.

Good post and I've been saying the same. First 11 is a mid table team. A few injuries and we are a championship team. We will most likely get dragged back in to the relegation scrap, especially if Vlaar is out.

So we should ignore those good performances?

Let's face it, since the new year we've been quite decent. No point in getting all panicky over one bad game.

No one is ignoring the good performancs.

But why wouldn't we play the way we did when we performed well? Don't give me the whole adjusting to each team. There wasn't one good reason we couldn't play the diamond and set out to attack.

Instead we do an homage to McLeish

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 1

I haven't got a problem with the way we set up today. For 45 minutes it seemed to work. I just don't understand why we can't keep the ball for longer than 2 pass's and got out strengthened all over the pitch.

What's all that about??

Sounds crazy to say it with Everton's home record but that was a really poor loss today considering the state they were in with injuries etc.... Especially considering we were 0-1 up with what 15 minutes to go? 

Never ceases to amaze me how this team can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in almost any given situation.

So,

Now back to the conceding 2 goals per game again with Vlaar out, Although we have conceded 7 in 3 games with him in for goodness sake having said that, Though i guess you can excuse conceding 2 a game away at the Merseyside clubs... Agree with many on here though regarding our tactics today? Where were the counter attacks? Is that the difference in our counter attacking abilities with Gabby missing?

The good performances have been way too few and far between (results don't necessarily reflect a performance).

Best way I can put it, how I feel we play, is that lambert sets us out to steal a result rather than earn it. If that makes sense.

• Like 2

Every time he sets up with a 532, its a message to his players,"I have no faith in your ability to hold on to or pass the ball. Go out there and maybeeee we will get a result if we happen to nick the ball."

The good performances have been way too few and far between (results don't necessarily reflect a performance).

Best way I can put it, how I feel we play, is that lambert sets us out to steal a result rather than earn it. If that makes sense.

Id say that's spot on and tbf we've stole quite a few this season. But surely he only sets up this way because he accepts we are shit and will get turned over if we play any other way.

But when have we actually got turned over when playing proper and attacking with close to our first XI? Maybe you van say Fulham (though he did the whole two target men insanity again). THEY CAN PLAY. He just has to give them a chance,

It hasn't been entertaining for about 75% of the time but Lambert is doing okay for us.  You could argue that he has learnt from last year and has tightened up the back but it has made us less interesting to watch  this season. He is dealing with a comparative small budget even compared to mcleish's time ( 9 million on nzog, huges wages for given) and tiny compared to O'Neill's time. We are a also ran club which deems staying in the premier league as a good season. We should do that no problem and I expect more points and a higher place than last year. We are miles from the top 8 and unless Lerner changes his spending levels or sells up, this will not change. I don't know how happy Lambert is off the budget limits he has to deal with at Villa, but where else can he go to? 1 win versus Cardiff or West Ham and I think people will be happy again.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I just don't understand this guy, he doesn't fear Liverpool and we take the game to them but he fears Everton and drops to a park the bus formation. I know were missing Gabby but to change the formation to such a negative approach because 1 player is missing is madness.

FFS, what is the point in talking about how many bad results or performances we've had on this thread?

For consistent good performances you need a squad of players who can play well consistently. We don't, because the owner has pulled the plug on spending. Simple as.

We're lucky to have Lambert (our best player in the Everton game was an 800K find of his), and we're luchky he hasn't quit in disgust.

• Like 1

FFS, what is the point in talking about how many bad results or performances we've had on this thread?

For consistent good performances you need a squad of players who can play well consistently. We don't, because the owner has pulled the plug on spending. Simple as.

We're lucky to have Lambert (our best player in the Everton game was an 800K find of his), and we're luchky he hasn't quit in disgust.

Because of the terrible formation Lambert played today. The players are capable of a lot more than what was offered today.

Â