Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

Great post Newhavenhibby and you are bang on.

I bet that fine day in 2016 will be one that stays with you forever and I bet it was some party!

I wouldn't say the Scottish league is a Mickey Mouse League anymore than any other leagues in most other countrys and I agree that scottish football does get a bit of a bum deal in terms of finances etc. I guess having Rangers back up there again makes a few more quid up but not enough in the grand scheme of things.

I like the SPL still today and remember  the days when Celtic had players like Mo Johnson, Paul McStay. Rangers where managed by Graeme Souness, England's Chris Woods was goalkeeper. Hibs had a young John Collins and Andy Goram too.

As for Useless De La Cruz, yeah. Thanks for that :) - but all has been forgotten since you gave us John McGinn. So a bigger thank you. 😘

• Like 1

certainly was AVFCRigo82, I know some fans who didn't return home for 5 or 6 days!

Some players were seen out drinking with the fans for the following week down Easter Road pubs.

To show the passion watch the "Sunshine on Leith" video sung after the game at Hampden.......that is after they had cleared the pitch and got the broken goalposts out the way. That is the one disappointment of the day that the team could not parade the trophy at Hampden but hey ho it was the fans fault.

SPL still produces good players......McGinn now gracing Villa Park, Robertson at Liverpool ( former Dundee United player via Hull) etc.  Many other players use it as a stepping stone to get into England eg:  we have seen players such as Sol Bamba at Hibs, Liverpools Virgil Van Dijk got a foothold via Celtic etc 

Watch this space for a young lad we have coming through at present called Ryan Porteous......destined for great things.

• Like 1

Ryan will be a great defender so having seen some games by Villa this year you never know he may end up with you there in years to come.

In the 70's when I watched Hibs up here at University and then back to Villa Park when home it was surreal to see the likes of Des Bremner . Alex Cropley wearing the claret and blue after the green. Also watched a young centre forward for Dundee United called Andy Gray.......wonder what happened to him😀

Edited by newhavenhibby

On 14/12/2018 at 09:43, newhavenhibby said:

Watch this space for a young lad we have coming through at present called Ryan Porteous......destined for great things.

Cracking 2-0 result for you boys today over Celtic.

A brilliant tackle from the young lad Porteous at the end of the game too. I see what you mean by him.

Thanks......we were expecting a thumping today with 10 players out. The young lads did well and everyone played their part.

That tackle was brilliant but is still learning the game as was seen in the first half where with inexperience he gave the ball away and let Sinclair? in.........couldn't quite see from where we sit!

Celtic controlled the ball as expected but failed to find that final ball. Good to see John McGinn back at Easter Road today.

Onto Wednesday night when the huns come calling and hopefully we may have a few injured players back.

With the money he has at his disposal compared to every other team in Scotland outwith Celtic the minimum has to be second at the end of the season ( anything worse and his coat is on a shoogly peg) ..........huns fans will expect no less. Big game v Celtic ........win and he buys more time , lose and the fans start to question especially if Killie keep up their good work considering their lack of money in comparison.

Obviously Rangers are a new club but their fans still want it to be as successful as the old Glasgow Rangers RIP  😉

Edited by newhavenhibby

On 17/12/2018 at 14:09, newhavenhibby said:

Obviously Rangers are a new club but their fans still want it to be as successful as the old Glasgow Rangers RIP  😉

They will be a force again before too long.

They just suffered they same way Villa did. Behind the scenes actions by people that never had a damn clue and that trickled all the way down to players and fans!

Fwiw, Rangers are still the same club and all this 'old club, new club' stuff is just utter nonsense.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think this season shows how poorly Rogers is doing. With that squad Celtic should be walking away with it, 

I think there is a little more to it behind closed doors Xela.

Fwiw. They have a couple of games in hand.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think this season shows how poorly Rogers is doing. With that squad Celtic should be walking away with it, 

It can't be easy for him to keep them motivated. They have no competition and there's only so many times you can win the 'Treble'. He needed to have a big squad over haul in the summer to freshen it up and have hungry players at the club. The problem with that is that they don't have any money and nobody wants any of their players because none of them apart from Dembele were any good. Even his "achievements" since he's been there are  vastly over stated. He should be judged on how they've done in europe. 

Edited by villa89

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They will be a force again before too long.

They just suffered they same way Villa did. Behind the scenes actions by people that never had a damn clue and that trickled all the way down to players and fans!

Fwiw, Rangers are still the same club and all this 'old club, new club' stuff is just utter nonsense.

Of course they will be a force in Scottish football before too long, possibly this season ( have to win the league).........need more TV money to compete elsewhere.

With all that money and fan base at their disposal how can they not? There is only Celtic that can compete over a season but now they have to stay on the right side of the taxman. 

Last line is only how every other clubs supporters see them lol 😉   ........it seems to annoy them 😀

I suppose all us other clubs and fans should be grateful for any small crumbs off their and the press and media table allied to Scottish football that is Celtic and The Rangers. 😕

Will watch them live this season for the first time tomorrow night at Easter Road so that will tell me how well they and Gerrard are doing. We now have 11 players out with Slivka nobbled by Scott Brown so expecting another struggle. 

Edited by newhavenhibby

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Problem at Celtic is the board. They win most seasons so its ok but they rarely back the manager too much. e. g Sinclair was a big money signing so was Kolo Toure

• Like 1

Lucky point........Stevie G has assembled a good set of players by Scottish standards. They were by far the best team to come to Easter Road this season and were faster and stronger than us.

I think Celtic will struggle at Ibrox next time based on seeing both sides in 3 days.......provided Morelos has his shooting boots on!  Mind you we go there on Boxing Day......hopefully some of the injured players will return but I doubt it will be enough.

We lacked a strong midfielder who runs for 90 minutes from box to box and can shield the ball using his arse...........remind you of anyone lol 😀  Anyway good luck to you and McGinn on Sunday v Leeds.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Defoe is about to sign for Rangers on an 18-month loan deal.

If they pull that off it will be one hell of a signing for them and an astute piece of business by Rangers. Okay he is 36 but he will take that SPL to another level with the amount of goals he will smash in up there.

Â