Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:31, Chindie said:

I don't think there's much chance of it being canned, they've nearly finished filming.

Rumour has it they have gone as it steps too far away from what people expect of Star Wars/Han Solo. Might be becoming a recurring theme, Rogue One got large reshoots to, allegedly, make it more Star Wars-y.

The problem for me is, Han Solo is a 'fairly' misogynistic character, a lovable rogue, technically a criminal at the start of Episode 4. He's a boy racer. It'll be interesting to see how much of that is there from the start of the film. In the 21st Century, films about men like that are not really acceptable any more. Certainly unacceptable without a female character who is written in to act as the 'side kick' - yet who ends up being smarter, and more capable. That's what Kathy Kennedy is at Lucasfilm for. To promote women. Which is fine to a degree if it doesn't look forced and overboard. I wonder if the directors that left had creative differences about that with Kennedy? Did they make Han too misogynistic for 21st Century Disney?

Who knows? For me, Solo is a character that needs to be portrayed in a certain way. Easier to make this film in the mid-80s, than in 2017 where females have to rule, kick ass and sass their way to cinemagoers money. JMO. The word 'feisty' is so patronising. I tend to get nauseous when I hear actresses describe their characters as 'feisty.' If a man sad that about a real life woman, she'd no doubt be offended.

Still wager money that after what we saw in Rogue One, the final scene will be CGI Episode 4 Han Solo with Chewie walking into the Cantina on Tatooine. :thumb:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raver50032 said:

The problem for me is, Han Solo is a 'fairly' misogynistic character, a lovable rogue, technically a criminal at the start of Episode 4. He's a boy racer. It'll be interesting to see how much of that is there from the start of the film. In the 21st Century, films about men like that are not really acceptable any more. Certainly unacceptable without a female character who is written in to act as the 'side kick' - yet who ends up being smarter, and more capable. That's what Kathy Kennedy is at Lucasfilm for. To promote women. Which is fine to a degree if it doesn't look forced and overboard. I wonder if the directors that left had creative differences about that with Kennedy? Did they make Han too misogynistic for 21st Century Disney?

Who knows? For me, Solo is a character that needs to be portrayed in a certain way. Easier to make this film in the mid-80s, than in 2017 where females have to rule, kick ass and sass their way to cinemagoers money. JMO. The word 'feisty' is so patronising. I tend to get nauseous when I hear actresses describe their characters as 'feisty.' If a man sad that about a real life woman, she'd no doubt be offended.

Still wager money that after what we saw in Rogue One, the final scene will be CGI Episode 4 Han Solo with Chewie walking into the Cantina on Tatooine. :thumb:

You may be happy. Apparently Miller and Lord wanted to make Solo a more comedic character, and Kasdan basically said that isn't who Solo is, and that lead to the creative differences that ended with the directors getting binned.

They have got dreadful actress Emilia Clarke on board to give a strong female character

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

You may be happy. Apparently Miller and Lord wanted to make Solo a more comedic character, and Kasdan basically said that isn't who Solo is, and that lead to the creative differences that ended with the directors getting binned.

They have got dreadful actress Emilia Clarke on board to give a strong female character

Hmmmm, interesting that. Star Wars has a ribbon of humour running through it in places. But I agree, Solo isn't a comedy character. He is though a character who has smart alec lines and occasional quips. Overplaying the comedy is bad for the Star Wars mantra. It's a soap opera set in space, not a comedy. Leave comedy to the awful Spaceballs crowd. There is room for some comedy in place in Star Wars, but it should never dominate. :thumb:

Part of the reason why I despise the Family Guy Star Wars stuff, and the Keith Lemon/Paddy McGuiness stuff parodying Star Wars. To me, it's a serious thing. That said, I love the Robot Chicken parodies. I guess I live as a contradictory paradox...

12 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

To be fair, is that not Greedo helping Anakin Sywalker in Episode 1 as part of the Pod Race build up?

I think that was a different Rodian.

Greedo had a deleted scene

On 23/06/2017 at 21:55, villa4europe said:

means it'll be the end of that story though which im not convinced by, hope they dont but think they might cash in on Han and do multiple films

True... personally, they can't make too many Star Wars films. Solo's back history (if still SW lore) is quite pithy and could easily stretch to a second film - he was part of the Imperial Academy IIRC, his early life on Corellia, earning the Corellian blood stripes (those lines on his trousers) etc. Oh yeah, and the big freeing of Chewie from slavery... the winning (fair and square) of the Falcon. It's a rich life, with lots of traditional Star Wars close escapes I'm sure. That's a lot to cover in one film. Oh, and the swoop bike race between Solo and Dengar that resulted in all those bandages.

But what a way to lead into Episode 4 with Solo and Chewie entering the cantina... whether it be this film, or two or three more down the line. Hence the masturbation meme!! :)

I think a Bounty Hunter series could work in the future too - giving the more mature audience a similar 'dark' tone to Star Wars films that Rogue One dipped it's toe into. Bounty Hunters are many, and their stories of collaboration and betrayal are story-worthy as much as any sith/jedi business. Imagine a space-chase epic with Boba Fett carrying Solo in carbonite between Empire and Return of the Jedi on the way to Jabba's palace to collect the reward, being tailed by 4-LOM, ID-88, Dengar, Zukuss etc. Could be the Wacky Races, or Terminator chic depending on which director they chose for it. I think there is a market for more serious, dark Star Wars expanded universe films. And like I said, they can never make enough. It's a captive market.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, villa4europe said:

Watched it thinking if she's that much of a fan why didn't she watch it at the cinema? 

Then I realised if I was her fella I wouldn't take her either...

She is a bit OTT, but that's pretty much how I would have been watching it, if I wasn't such a reserved Englishman.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

She is a bit OTT, but that's pretty much how I would have been watching it, if I wasn't such a reserved Englishman.

I'm an Englishman thats been living in the US since 1999 & I was basically acting exactly like her.

In the cinema my wife was laughing at me so much. I think I even said "I can die happy now." I felt like some sort of circle had been completed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watched it thinking if she's that much of a fan why didn't she watch it at the cinema? 

Then I realised if I was her fella I wouldn't take her either...

I wish Vader had struck her down too.

Annoying bint.  

• 1 month later...

Trevorrow has left Episode IX.

Whether that's jumped or pushed who knows, but having a disastrous name on his CV after this summer probably didn't help, since he obviously got the job off the back of Jurassic World being an enormous success.

You'd probably get short odds on Rian Johnson staying on post VIII I suspect, word around his film has been quietly confident even for a Star Wars film (although personally I think the design work is very weak and the rumours about the plot were Seinfeld throwing hands up worthy...).

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Trevorrow has left Episode IX.

Whether that's jumped or pushed who knows, but having a disastrous name on his CV after this summer probably didn't help, since he obviously got the job off the back of Jurassic World being an enormous success.

You'd probably get short odds on Rian Johnson staying on post VIII I suspect, word around his film has been quietly confident even for a Star Wars film (although personally I think the design work is very weak and the rumours about the plot were Seinfeld throwing hands up worthy...).

Considering the early buzz around Thor Ragnorak, maybe Taika Waititi could be a good shout?

having watched Jurassic World, I'm relieved trevorrow has walked/been pushed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Considering the early buzz around Thor Ragnorak, maybe Taika Waititi could be a good shout?

having watched Jurassic World, I'm relieved trevorrow has walked/been pushed.

Yeah I wouldn't count on that... Tbf I think he'd be a bad mix with something like Star Wars, outside of one of the side story things they've got going on. His style would suit weirdly with the finale of a trilogy with some supposed weight behind it and canon. With Thor he's got more free reign because Marvel isn't making true trilogies, so the movies just need to hit certain points on the way to the overall goal for the series, and the Thor series is even more loose. Star Wars main series wouldn't give him that at all.

Rian Johnson will be the shoe in unless he's burnt out or VIII is unexpectedly shite.

• Thanks 1

Â