Last 16: Tuesday 1st ARG SWI BEL USA

limpid

Such fight and resilience from the USA! Despite being on the receiving end for most of the game, they had their chance to win it at the death, then to force penalties.

Great match - but I can't help but wonder what the US could have done with a more tactically-minded manager.

I believe that we have lost

Tim Howard played the game of his life, one that will be talked about for years to come. Brave defending by the USA, under almost constant pressure. Not sure why JK dropped Beckerman and put Cameron in midfield...we set up to defend, and I think if we played a more direct attacking game, we could have won it. Beckerman and Dempsey had been linking up nicely, and Dempsey was quiet today, go figure. We should have won it if Wondoshitski hadn't missed that sitter at the very end of regulation. Painful image to erase from my mind. We should be preparing for Argentina.

Edited by maqroll

It's going to be interesting how this US team develops over the next 4 years. A lot of this squad is in their early to mid 20s. They will be in there prime come 2018 and there a lot of young americans coming up through good clubs. 

Now, will new converts to the sport appreciate the long slog that is qualification? Do they even understand that we needed to qualify? That's the big test in how far the country has come in embracing the sport. Will people pile into bars for away games at the Azteca? Will qualifying matches get even a sliver of the media coverage these World Cup games have? I have some doubts. But, nonetheless, a massive step has been taken in just two weeks. If hosting the World Cup in 1994 set everything in motion, this World Cup has finally legitimized the sport as a major force domestically.

I believe that we have lost

Tim Howard played the game of his life, one that will be talked about for years to come. Brave defending by the USA, under almost constant pressure. Not sure why JK dropped Beckerman and put Cameron in midfield...we set up to defend, and I think if we played a more direct attacking game, we could have won it. Beckerman and Dempsey had been linking up nicely, and Dempsey was quiet today, go figure. We should have won it if Wondoshitski hadn't missed that sitter at the very end of regulation. Painful image to erase from my mind. We should be preparing for Argentina.

if he hadn't missed that then it would have been even more painful as he'd been given offside, despite being about 5 yards on

Such fight and resilience from the USA! Despite being on the receiving end for most of the game, they had their chance to win it at the death, then to force penalties.

Great match - but I can't help but wonder what the US could have done with a more tactically-minded manager.

Really? I think this US team has massively over achieved this World Cup so surely the manager has to take some credit.

• Like 1

Think US and Swiss both leave with tremendous credit. The US played with the spirit and fitness that we expected of them especially coming back from conditions in Manaus. Thought Besler and Gonzalez were rocks at the back until tiredness kicked in, Howard played great as well

I also love DaMarcus Beasley mainly due to him being the 2014 obscure ex Premier League footballer playing in World Cup

Bradley's done ok, but he's been the weak link of their midifeld imo. Lovely assist yesterday, but he's very prone to losing the ball.

That being said, he's easily good enough for us.

He has run the most in the whole tournament which is an impressive stats especially in the places USA have played. Think he has had a poor tournament on the ball but cant really lack his effort or workrate

USA the country has a massive opportunity to get behind their team now. Which I am sure they will with the 100th Anniversary Copa America being played in the States in 2016!!

Question is will those fans watching The World Cup start going to MLS games??

If it takes off big time, I think they would become unstoppable on the world stage!

Howard game remindd me with Villa game against him at home !

Very good Performances.

Still hoping for a final between Colombia and Belgium.

Howard justifed his place with a truly amazing performance. Belgium v Colombia would be fantastic

Really? I think this US team has massively over achieved this World Cup so surely the manager has to take some credit.

Certainly. He's a great motivator and that has been telling.

But I think that's where it ends. Belgium were bossing the game in the first half. USA came out for the remainder of the game unchanged tactically. Compare that to Van Gaal, Loew or Deschamps in this tournament.

When things aren't going your way, you need to change it up a bit - not cross your fingers and hope.