Last 16: Tuesday 1st ARG SWI BEL USA

limpid

USA the country has a massive opportunity to get behind their team now. Which I am sure they will with the 100th Anniversary Copa America being played in the States in 2016!!

Question is will those fans watching The World Cup start going to MLS games??

If it takes off big time, I think they would become unstoppable on the world stage!

It's going to be interesting in 2 years.

ESPN showing Euro 2016 in the morning/afternoon, leading into Fox showing Copa America in the evening.

My bet is that the fans in the eastern and maybe central time zones won't go to MLS games but will watch the PL on NBC or the Bundesliga on Fox. NBC Sports' social media have been posting "you can watch the world cup stars all year long in the premier league on NBC" promos for the past month.

I don't think it's unreasonable to contemplate the PL getting a billion for the next three year deal in the US, considering that the PL may be the biggest national pay TV subscription driver (in the sense of number of people who will change their service) in the US this side of Monday Night Football, maybe the Stanley Cup playoffs, and maybe some of ESPN's college football.

I believe that we have lost

Tim Howard played the game of his life, one that will be talked about for years to come. Brave defending by the USA, under almost constant pressure. Not sure why JK dropped Beckerman and put Cameron in midfield...we set up to defend, and I think if we played a more direct attacking game, we could have won it. Beckerman and Dempsey had been linking up nicely, and Dempsey was quiet today, go figure. We should have won it if Wondoshitski hadn't missed that sitter at the very end of regulation. Painful image to erase from my mind. We should be preparing for Argentina.

if he hadn't missed that then it would have been even more painful as he'd been given offside, despite being about 5 yards on

Had the flag gone up, I didn't see that

That cheeky set piece at the end of extra time would have been absolutely amazing had Dempsey's heavy first touch not let him down. 

He got unlucky. Curtois dove before the shot was even taken. It was pure chance at that point. If Dempsey just shot it straight or to his left, it would have gone in.

He has run the most in the whole tournament which is an impressive stats especially in the places USA have played. Think he has had a poor tournament on the ball but cant really lack his effort or workrate

I actually think he was our worst player over the 4 matches. He covered the most distance, but doing what? All he did was slowly lumber around, let balls trickle by him without running them down, let players glide by him without trying to get stuck in...when he had the ball he either passed it sideways, backwards, or turned it over. Very rarely did he play a probing through ball, very rarely did he make an aggressive run off the ball, very rarely did he make any run WITH the ball. His free kicks sucked too. He jogged around thinking he was a world class player, but he's just not. He basically sleepwalked through the entire tournament. Massive disappointment.

That cheeky set piece at the end of extra time would have been absolutely amazing had Dempsey's heavy first touch not let him down.

He got unlucky. Curtois dove before the shot was even taken. It was pure chance at that point. If Dempsey just shot it straight or to his left, it would have gone in.

I would love to see more Free Kicks like this. It actually reminded a bit of an NFL move with people moving to get your best player in space. And if anyone could perfect that it would be the americans.

If it takes off in the US and there is money pumped in, I genuinely think they will eventually win the world cup(just hopefully not in my lifetime).

Loved the effort USA put in last night. I was rooting for them. They can be proud of their performance. 

Benteke could have got golden boot had he been playing last night.

For everyone that doesn't know, Bentake is Benteke's lesser know less talented brother.
What are you talking about? ;) Edited by Amo69

Michael Bradley had a much better world cup in 2010 so much so I wanted us to sign him...and we did. Which didn't work out at all.

He's good at breaking up play but I was surprised his passing was pretty mediocre throughout the tournament. It reminded me of NRC. Surprised as I thought he did well in Italy?

U.S need to produce a decent striker really especially as I doubt Dempsey will make another world cup and Donovan is out of the picture now. Those two have contributed a lot of important goals in U.S world cup matches. Interesting this Green fella from Bayern Munich, don't know much about him but good goal.

You know they'll remain defensively strong. Personally I thought they had a better squad in 2010 and that WC was a missed opportunity for them due to Bob Bradley's ineptitude.

Think Klinsmann got the absolute maximum out of this group.

Michael Bradley had a much better world cup in 2010 so much so I wanted us to sign him...and we did. Which didn't work out at all.

He's good at breaking up play but I was surprised his passing was pretty mediocre throughout the tournament. It reminded me of NRC. Surprised as I thought he did well in Italy?

U.S need to produce a decent striker really especially as I doubt Dempsey will make another world cup and Donovan is out of the picture now. Those two have contributed a lot of important goals in U.S world cup matches. Interesting this Green fella from Bayern Munich, don't know much about him but good goal.

You know they'll remain defensively strong. Personally I thought they had a better squad in 2010 and that WC was a missed opportunity for them due to Bob Bradley's ineptitude.

Think Klinsmann got the absolute maximum out of this group.

Yes I agree

Klinsmann plays Bradley out of position. But that's not an excuse, he still had a poor tournament. I do sincerely believe that moving to MLS has slowed his game down a lot. The same thing happened when Dempsey first came to the Sounders, he had a poor first season, followed by a completely anonymous loan spell at Fulham. He came back this season just raring to go and has been on fire for club and country. Maybe Bradley just needs to get settled into his rhythm a little better. It seemed to me that in the WC games he was still trying to play at MLS pace, whereas most of his teammates were able to kick it up an extra few gears.

I believe that we have lost

Tim Howard played the game of his life, one that will be talked about for years to come. Brave defending by the USA, under almost constant pressure. Not sure why JK dropped Beckerman and put Cameron in midfield...we set up to defend, and I think if we played a more direct attacking game, we could have won it. Beckerman and Dempsey had been linking up nicely, and Dempsey was quiet today, go figure. We should have won it if Wondoshitski hadn't missed that sitter at the very end of regulation. Painful image to erase from my mind. We should be preparing for Argentina.

if he hadn't missed that then it would have been even more painful as he'd been given offside, despite being about 5 yards on

Had the flag gone up, I didn't see that
it had.

And it would have been a travesty had he scored and it been disallowed as he was honestly 5 yards on side.

In fact, he was still onside when he had the shot, let alone when the pass was played.

If Benteke was fit and on form they'd have won comfortably.

Hard to say. Origi has come in and done very well. But they do miss that focal point up front. especially De Bruyne who was brilliant when Benteke was in the side.