Other chat: not for match, team or player chat

limpid

I wonder how much the media will make of a European country winning in South America for the first time. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal, half of the tournaments in South America happened before commercial jet planes were in operation.  This one (or possibly Argentina '78) is the first time travel hasn't been a killer for European sides. 

Hahaha, Messi winning the best player at the tournament.  It's just a case of giving the award to the bloke who can attend the ceremony isn't it?   Mind you, there is a history of that. Cannavaro in 2006 probably on won it because Zidane got sent off in the final. 

• Like 1

OMFG This is a joke.

I love Messi he is the best player I have seen in my lifetime but he was no way the best player in the tournament, he wouldn't even get in my team of the tournament. Absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

bN3OYlY.jpg

It's almost as if the sponsors of the award had a vested interest in giving it to a man they pay a small fortune to represent their brand every year, isn't it?

• Like 3

Hahaha, Messi winning the best player at the tournament.  It's just a case of giving the award to the bloke who can attend the ceremony isn't it?   Mind you, there is a history of that. Cannavaro in 2006 probably on won it because Zidane got sent off in the final. 

He had about 2 good games all tournament, it's quite ridiculous. Vlaar deserved it more than Messi. :crylaugh:

I wonder how much the media will make of a European country winning in South America for the first time. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal, half of the tournaments in South America happened before commercial jet planes were in operation.  This one (or possibly Argentina '78) is the first time travel hasn't been a killer for European sides. 

It's not just south America though, it's all America. 

1930 Uruguay in Uruguay

1950 Uruguay in Brazil

1962 Brazil in Chile

1970 Brazil in Mexico

1978 Argentina in Argentina

1986 Argentina in Mexico

1994 Brazil in USA

I wonder how much the media will make of a European country winning in South America for the first time. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal, half of the tournaments in South America happened before commercial jet planes were in operation. This one (or possibly Argentina '78) is the first time travel hasn't been a killer for European sides.

1930 Uruguay in Uruguay

1950 Uruguay in Brazil

1962 Brazil in Chile

1970 Brazil in Mexico

1986 Argentina in Mexico

1994 Brazil in USA

Indeed.

Fitness is a huge factor, footballers are machines now even compared to 1994. Couple with that a higher percentage of American born players play in Europe now, the playing field has levelled.

I think it is a "thing" though. 7 tournaments before Europe wins one away. Hard to deny fact.

I wonder how much the media will make of a European country winning in South America for the first time. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal, half of the tournaments in South America happened before commercial jet planes were in operation. This one (or possibly Argentina '78) is the first time travel hasn't been a killer for European sides.

1930 Uruguay in Uruguay

1950 Uruguay in Brazil

1962 Brazil in Chile

1970 Brazil in Mexico

1986 Argentina in Mexico

1994 Brazil in USA

Indeed.

Fitness is a huge factor, footballers are machines now even compared to 1994. Couple with that a higher percentage of American born players play in Europe now, the playing field has levelled.

I think it is a "thing" though. 7 tournaments before Europe wins one away. Hard to deny fact.

South Africa was 'away'

OMFG This is a joke.

I love Messi he is the best player I have seen in my lifetime but he was no way the best player in the tournament, he wouldn't even get in my team of the tournament. Absolutely ridiculous.

bbbbut he scored vital goals against world giants Iran, Nigeria and Bosnia.

1930 Uruguay in Uruguay

1950 Uruguay in Brazil

1962 Brazil in Chile

1970 Brazil in Mexico

1986 Argentina in Mexico

1994 Brazil in USA

Indeed.

Works the other way around as well... Brazil winning in Sweden (1958) is the only non European team to win in Europe (i think!)