Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Last half hour reminded me of ManU - Fulham. Stop crossing it in when A. Sterling can't cross and B. Nobody is in there to win it.

Rooney's laughable attempt at being a left winger meant we never really had a chance, it was a matter of time before one of those crosses went in.  Never gave us any width and missed a sitter. Just drop him.

• Like 3

England are never going to win anything when we keep playing the likes of Rooney and Gerrard. The 'golden generation' needs to **** off for good.

At least Gerrard hit some nice diagonal balls. That miss in front of goal from Rooney was criminal.

Two defensive errors cost England the game.

Learn to concentrate.

Yep, pretty much.

Find it funny that Rooney was being slagged off at HT for his poor tracking back. He switches with Wellbeck for 5 mins and Wellbeck's lack of doing the same costs the goal.

Last half hour reminded me of ManU - Fulham. Stop crossing it in when A. Sterling can't cross and B. Nobody is in there to win it.

Rooney's laughable attempt at being a left winger meant we never really had a chance, it was a matter of time before one of those crosses went in.  Never gave us any width and missed a sitter. Just drop him.

Definitely agree about Rooney. Does my nut that they have to make everything compliment him, like Sterling having to go out wide when crossing isn't his best attribute as you say.

The fact that Rooney feels he needs to prove himself in this tournament is something that could potentially ruin England's glimmer of hope, I mean Barkley came on and he took the ball from his feet ffs.

Thing is apart from Sterling, Sturridge and possibly Welbeck I can't really think of a good performance from an England player. Rooney, Gerrard, Henderson and Johnson were all very poor.

Good game to watch. Prandelli tactics won them the game. Bringing motta on when they were ahead was a brilliant move.

We look good, we just lack that final killer ball when we're breaking teams down. We just don't have a "hazard" type of player.

Welbeck played well, never thought I'd say it..

Rooney should have buried that chance he dragged wide.

But we're stretching the game and Gerrard got the ball to the wings quickly.

Johnson is costing us a little bit, he is tactically poor.

Thought Barkley played tidy when he came on. He actually got the Italians worried and diving in with his directness.

Rooney not helping out baines, or Gerrard or Henderson left us with a 2 v 1 against baines and they scored.

Think there's a lot of positives to take away from the game personally. :)

• Like 1

Thing is apart from Sterling, Sturridge and possibly Welbeck I can't really think of a good performance from an England player. Rooney, Gerrard, Henderson and Johnson were all very poor.

I don't think Gerrard was too bad, Baines had a shocking game.

Baines deserves the most criticism I think. He was **** awful all game. You shouldn't need your winger to help you every single time, you should be able to deal with your man 1-on-1. Ashley Cole wouldn't have made a mess of it like Baines.

• Like 3

I felt for Baines. He was **** regardless. Constantly left in a 2 on 1 when defending and he was our only player on the left side of the field.

• Like 2

I thought we played well and maybe deserved more out of it. We look exciting going forward and we create chances, Cahill looks quality at the back and Gerrard looks comfortable in the role he's in.

I think we can still qualify, but for England, the knock out stages start Thursday, and that means the looming spectre of everyone's favourite buck toothed cheating wipe.

• Like 3

To be fair he was given barely any defensive cover by Rooney and Welbeck so it's no huge surprise he struggled.

Two supposed holding midfielders and England had the kind of possession from an average Villa performance, and as with us you can't sustain that sort of pressure for 90 minutes without conceding. 

• Like 1

To be fair he was given barely any defensive cover by Rooney and Welbeck so it's no huge surprise he struggled.

I agree and it is possible that it could have been due to poor tactics, but the guy was playing so narrow he left himself with no hope whenever they came to that side of the pitch. Not having any cover obviously made it even worse.

Baines was badly helped out and isolated. Not much he could have done in a few situations where it was 2 v 1.

Thought Lalana did more in his time on the pitch than Wiltshire did too.

thought barkley looked good when he came on, and lallana looked ok. wilshere on the other hand was rubbish as usual, did nothing but kick the ball out of play and run into dead ends. massively overhyped. dont want him or rooney anywhere near the team.