Froch v Groves The Rematch

andykeenan

I'm quite interested to see what the scorecards were, because I have the feeling Jim Watt's scorecard was way off yet again. The punch stats say Groves did more effective work. Watt likes fighters to keep the centre of the ring to much.

Not that it matters Groves left himself open...you just can't do that at this level.

I'm quite interested to see what the scorecards were, because I have the feeling Jim Watt's scorecard was way off yet again. The punch stats say Groves did more effective work. Watt likes fighters to keep the centre of the ring to much.

Not that it matters Groves left himself open...you just can't do that at this level.

Jim Watt's score card was atrocious, HBO actually had Groves up by a couple of rounds, personally I had Groves up by a round at the time of the stoppage.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Jim Watt's score card was atrocious, HBO actually had Groves up by a couple of rounds, personally I had Groves up by a round at the time of the stoppage.

I had it 3-3 with the first even. I hope they dump him soon and bring in Paulie more on big fights, I think he's a Gary Neville of boxing pundits. I've thought he would be good after he deconstructed his own defeat to Khan in his post fight interview.

Didn't he give Froch 10 for every round except the first and Groves 9 for everything, but the first?

I remember he had it 5-1 after 6, I almost spat my beer out.

It's a little known fact that Jim Watt completes his score card a week before the fight.

The worst bit of coverage last night was when they asked Khan how he thought the fight was going and he contradicted Watt and had Groves ahead and the chap tried to correct him and Khan put him straight.

• Like 2

It's a little known fact that Jim Watt completes his score card a week before the fight.

The worst bit of coverage last night was when they asked Khan how he thought the fight was going and he contradicted Watt and had Groves ahead and the chap tried to correct him and Khan put him straight.

I felt that Watt was a bit arsey because they paid Paulie Malignaggi to commentate. Malignaggi was making much better points because he understand boxing better and also challenged Watt's scorecard which Watt didn't like. 

Watt was going on about how great Froch's jab was, when at best his jab was a screen for his right hand, at worst he was just pawing with it, Groves had the better jab, faster and more powerful and more varied. A lot of Froch's offence was partially blocked by Groves, whereas Groves was landing flush counters and right hands behind the jab, Watt didn't give him much credit for that and seemed to much prefer Froch's messier work. 

Still though, Watt's worst performance was the Burns - Crawford fight that happened recently. Crawford was outboxing and beating the shit out of Burns and Watt gave him no credit at all and instead would just say 'this isn't the old Ricky Burns, there's something wrong'. 

Awful awful commentator. 

opsQ1wN.png

• Like 1

When the ringside reporter said to Amir Khan that Froch seemed to be taking control of the fight (about round 7) Then AK started talking about Groves being in control, then the reporter said that it looked like Froch was the one taking the initiative... then Khan went on about Groves again...

:lol:

• Like 1

Yeah agreed I think Froch was edging it and you always felt his experience would see him through.

That said Groves was looking strong in the last couple of rounds and it was looking set up for a tight finish.

It was a good fight, compelling but not quite the war of last one

Least it went further then last time what a punch by Froch tho boom Groves didn't know where he was & both getting on at the end. I think Froch knew was in for a fight as it went on closer fight on score cards wernt a lot in it Grovves just seem to be get going in 7th round with a hit

The cards have been released for what it's worth.  One judge had Groves three rounds ahead, two of them had Froch one round ahead. 

I've rewatched the fight in a more sober state, Groves definitely was winning in my book by at least 1 round, and I think to have him 2 rounds up is pretty fair.

Froch was just walking forward with a largely pawing jab and was getting better jabs, counters and cleaner shots coming back at him, I can't see how Froch could be up after 7 rounds. His work wasn't clean enough. The stats show that Groves landed 30 more punches with a 40% connect rate whilst Froch threw 30 odd more punches. 

Although when it's all said and done, Froch landed the crucial fight winning right hand. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I felt that Watt was a bit arsey because they paid Paulie Malignaggi to commentate. Malignaggi was making much better points because he understand boxing better and also challenged Watt's scorecard which Watt didn't like. 

Watt was going on about how great Froch's jab was, when at best his jab was a screen for his right hand, at worst he was just pawing with it, Groves had the better jab, faster and more powerful and more varied. A lot of Froch's offence was partially blocked by Groves, whereas Groves was landing flush counters and right hands behind the jab, Watt didn't give him much credit for that and seemed to much prefer Froch's messier work. 

Still though, Watt's worst performance was the Burns - Crawford fight that happened recently. Crawford was outboxing and beating the shit out of Burns and Watt gave him no credit at all and instead would just say 'this isn't the old Ricky Burns, there's something wrong'. 

Awful awful commentator. 

opsQ1wN.png

Haha i was reading those out with the same accent he has and its so true

Froch was just sitting behind his jab like he did against Kessler and was fighting in flurries

If only Groves had not threw a punch and kept his guard raised and got out of there

Edited by AshVilla

The cards have been released for what it's worth.  One judge had Groves three rounds ahead, two of them had Froch one round ahead.

Decent scoring then to be fair. I had it 3-3 and a 10-10 round, I always presume the 10-10 rounds go to the big name/champion.

Â