Driver less Cars

smetrov

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10859705/Google-to-start-building-driverless-car.html

Anything that takes the 'Macho' out of driving fast gets the thumbs up from me......pretty sure there is to much vested interest for this to catch on though...

"Google is to start building its own driverless car that will have a stop-go button but no controls, steering wheel or pedals.

The vehicle is designed to look like a small city car with a "friendly face" and uses a soft foam-like material where a traditional bumper would be to make it seem less threatening.

Each car, which will have two seats, will have a top speed of 25mph to begin with to help ensure safety.

Google co-founder Sergey Brin unveiled the plans at a conference in California, where a prototype for the new vehicle was taken for a test drive.

"We're really excited about this vehicle – it's something that will allow us to really push the capabilities of self driving technology, and understand the limitations," said Chris Urmson, director of the company's self-driving project."

• Like 1

It will change the world when it happens. It's not a new thing either, Google have been working on them for years.  Once they become culturally acceptable (and it will need a generation of people who grew up with the concept of driverless cars in my opinion) then who knows what impact it will have on the global economy. You certainly won't need to own a car anymore because the cost of hiring a taxi should plummet. That could lead to less pressure on city centre parking and who knows what that could mean for the development of urban areas going forwards.  It might be one of the most disruptive inventions of the 21st century. 

• Like 3

I understand that they know where to go via GPS/Google Earth, but what about finding a parking space?

This country cries about changing infastructure all the time (motorways, railways, wind farms etc) what's going to happen to all the cabbies/driving professionals? It's like closing down an industry..

The concept is the way things need to go, this needs to happen really in the future but getting it running will be a huge pain in the arse.

I like the idea, it would let us do more things in our spare time/work time but there will be some serious opposition - because this country doesn't like change.

I understand that they know where to go via GPS/Google Earth, but what about finding a parking space?

They will have dedicated car parks, surely?

What if you want to park on your drive or on the road outside your house?

how would it work against ford drivers that don't indicate when they change lanes or US car owners that don't have the ability to go around corners ?

I can understand if EVERY car was driver-less on the road as then you'd remove the unpredictability of it all but I can't see how having a mix of driver-less and driver would work  more so if its capped to 25 mph ... i'd go mad if i was stuck behind one in a 40 zone

confidence would be the other issue , I used to get the DLR to work and that was unmanned   and worked fine though they did have to stick a token driver in the trains in the early days to allay public fear  ..but it ran on a track and could only go forward and back .. I'd imagine it's a big leap of faith to get behind a driverless car even if it is only going at 25 mph to start with

I don't like the idea. It's taking away human control and independence. It's more for the 'Big Brother' ethos in that people will know where you have been.  Plus we've all seen films where the robots rise up  (not that I'm saying this would happen)..

What if you want to park on your drive or on the road outside your house?

They have sensors and cameras that are working on it. Heck, you can even call it up like a taxi with your phone or whatever. Kinda like a valet app.

This country cries about changing infastructure all the time (motorways, railways, wind farms etc) what's going to happen to all the cabbies/driving professionals? It's like closing down an industry..

The concept is the way things need to go, this needs to happen really in the future but getting it running will be a huge pain in the arse.

I like the idea, it would let us do more things in our spare time/work time but there will be some serious opposition - because this country doesn't like change.

The idea isn't to remove the ability of a human to control the car. These demonstrators are to demonstrate a capability. There have been pilotless planes for ages, but there's always a pilot in the loop, able to take control if necessary if they're over polulated areas, or in controlled airspace. I've worked on several. There won't be communter cars without human override.

how would it work against ford drivers that don't indicate when they change lanes or US car owners that don't have the ability to go around corners ?

Tumbleweed.gif

Anyway...

Â