Driver less Cars

smetrov

was driving home from the cinema last night , empty windy country roads  late at night , foot to the floor , dangerously taking corners at high speed

and you know what , I won't get that buzz or thrill  from a driver-less car   ... though you could argue that as I'm not driving I could get a thrill by juggling live snakes whilst the car drives me or something 

But for me it's a no , I like driving  , long as I'm not stuck in a traffic jam or stuck behind someone wearign a pork pie hat doing 22 through a 40

• Like 1

I'd imagine you will always have the choice Tony so no need to lose any sleep just yet.

I also enjoy driving but there are times usually when hungover when I would love to have a sleep in the car on the journey back from somewhere. This amazingly engineered bit of kit might fit that ridiculous need rather nicely!

How long before some does a little bit of identity theft then books one of these and gets it to do something incredibly hilariously daft but illegal.

And lets be honest if its based on G**gle Maps somethings going to crash pdq. I'm forever correcting Google maps, or was until Uber hit these shores as I'm not helping that shower especially for free because it is simply wrong in many many instances. It might be perfect in the USA but here its abysmal, one way streets the wrong way, streets named completely incorrectly, speed lints completely wrong and it takes them an age to update. 

Mapping in this country is the oldest in the world by a long way and the Ordinance survey consists of layer upon layer, sometimes thousands of layers, with corrections over corrections over corrections, not one company has even come close to getting an even close to accurate digital map of the UK, nothing is ever up to date. Local council TRO's (traffic Regulation Orders) are almost unfathomable to read to the untrained eye and they are usually collected in one huge document that is amended each time a new TRO is enacted. Here in Liverpool (thats the council area Liverpool, not the whole city) they publish about 5 TRO's a week, that's not including the ETRO's (temporary ones for roadworks etc). Part of my job is to go through this shit as it gets published and check if it'll affect our business and trust me if its replicated the country over, these cars will be crashing, driving the wrong way up one way streets etc in no time at all.

• Like 1

was driving home from the cinema last night , empty windy country roads  late at night , foot to the floor , dangerously taking corners at high speed

and you know what , I won't get that buzz or thrill  from a driver-less car   ... though you could argue that as I'm not driving I could get a thrill by juggling live snakes whilst the car drives me or something 

But for me it's a no , I like driving  , long as I'm not stuck in a traffic jam or stuck behind someone wearign a pork pie hat doing 22 through a 40

however I do fear that if these cars run on electric (and are therefore obviously thoroughly harmless to the environment), can be speed controlled and statistically kill less people then you can be sure that 'the man' (europe / labour / alex salmond / traffic wardens / pick your villain) will gradually outlaw driving

was driving home from the cinema last night , empty windy country roads late at night , foot to the floor , dangerously taking corners at high speed

and you know what , I won't get that buzz or thrill from a driver-less car ... though you could argue that as I'm not driving I could get a thrill by juggling live snakes whilst the car drives me or something

But for me it's a no , I like driving , long as I'm not stuck in a traffic jam or stuck behind someone wearign a pork pie hat doing 22 through a 40

however I do fear that if these cars run on electric (and are therefore obviously thoroughly harmless to the environment), can be speed controlled and statistically kill less people then you can be sure that 'the man' (europe / labour / alex salmond / traffic wardens / pick your villain) will gradually outlaw driving
How exactly is this harmless electricity being generated , coal burning or nuclear ( Chernobyl / Fukushima anyone ) ? Edited by tonyh29

was driving home from the cinema last night , empty windy country roads late at night , foot to the floor , dangerously taking corners at high speed

and you know what , I won't get that buzz or thrill from a driver-less car ... though you could argue that as I'm not driving I could get a thrill by juggling live snakes whilst the car drives me or something

But for me it's a no , I like driving , long as I'm not stuck in a traffic jam or stuck behind someone wearign a pork pie hat doing 22 through a 40

How exactly is this harmless electricity being generated , coal burning or nuclear ( Chernobyl / Fukushima anyone ) ?

hence my hearty totally sarcasm free endorsement right there in the brackets

How exactly is this harmless electricity being generated , coal burning or nuclear ( Chernobyl / Fukushima anyone ) ?

hence my hearty totally sarcasm free endorsement right there in the brackets
ah my bad ...im on my mobile using the app and thus can't differentiate between sarcasm free and sarcasm at the mo Edited by tonyh29

no probs lovely

I've been stuck on various parts of the Suffolk superhighway today behind pensioners and horse boxes queuing to get in / out of the Suffolk show. So I probably typed it in a very aggressive stressed manner.

For driverless taxi's, on paper the technology is there, but I don't think the infrastructure is, yet.

The reliability of the technology, the accuracy of data, and the immense amount of accurate data sharing required for a flexible real world system makes me think we won't be seeing robot taxis for a while yet.

I think the road (pun intended) to driverless vehicles will be baby steps, perhaps starting with hands free motorway driving in the next decade or so.

Remind me, how many people got killed in those incidents? And how many were killed by drivers in the last year?

• Like 1

Â