Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

First of all, you called him "tripe." Did not say he was worthless in that role, just that we was worthless.

Second, he played as an AM twice last season and scored in one of those matches. I seem to remember him being particularly good in that role in the West Brom match.

Those two matches are not a great sample size, and I would rather him playing as a central forward. Still not deserving of the word "tripe."

Oh don't get me wrong, I do consider him "tripe". I just thought you were referring to the bit of my comment about him as a No. 10. Ultimately though, there is very little he is good at. Awful technically and very unintelligent. Worst of all though is his attitude which has been horrendous. I'd happily see him shipped out in the summer, no real loss at all.

Also no, he didn't play as No. 10 vs. Albion, that was Bacuna.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

I think we can all agree that it's one of weakest squads ever that we have seen in a long time. Saying that I truly believe the coaching staff have let the players down this season. We showed at the end of last season what we were capable of and never pushed on. A few injuries haven't helped but if you build a squad that relies on a couple of players your in trouble.

Lambert, Culverhouse, and Karza have showed as a unit they weren't up to the task. I want Lambert gone, but if he is to stay then he better find some quality coaches. He seems bereft of ideas and even through all his talk I'm sure he knows he is lucky to be in a job.

Without any spending, we have:

---------------Guzan---------------

------------------------------------

-Lowton---Vlaar-Okore---Bennett

---------Westwood--Delph---------

--Bacuna---Weimann---Gabby----

-------------Benteke---------------

Plus: Bent, NZogbia, Clark, Baker, Donacien, Hutton, Luna, Bowery, KEA, Kozak, Tonev, Helenius, J Grealish, C Robinson, D Johnson,

Add in a couple of signings - e.g Bertrand, Lescott, Hoolahan etc. Is it really that bad?

That squad is atrocious

Come on KHV stop sitting on the fence and say what you mean lol.

As I doubt we will not be in any position to make wholesale changes Lambert has to make the best of a poor bunch squad that for the most part he assembled. I just hope that he grows a pair and gives the likes of Donacien, Grealish and Johnson a run in the team over the rubbish that is Baker, Tonev, Weimann who all let themselves and us down badly last season.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating throwing them all in straight off but there are times (way to many) when players like Baker and Weimann look so bad that I question if they are actually footballers, I know that Tonev isn't. Surely Lambert has to give them a chance at some point and I also include Gary Gardener in that.

First of all, you called him "tripe." Did not say he was worthless in that role, just that we was worthless.

Second, he played as an AM twice last season and scored in one of those matches. I seem to remember him being particularly good in that role in the West Brom match.

Those two matches are not a great sample size, and I would rather him playing as a central forward. Still not deserving of the word "tripe."

Oh don't get me wrong, I do consider him "tripe". I just thought you were referring to the bit of my comment about him as a No. 10. Ultimately though, there is very little he is good at. Awful technically and very unintelligent. Worst of all though is his attitude which has been horrendous. I'd happily see him shipped out in the summer, no real loss at all.

"Horrendous attitude". Right. My take is that he is one of the most hard working players we have. Edited by AVTuco

I'm among those who believe we're about 2-3 quality players away from a comfortably mid-table/top ten finish. The worrying thing for me is if the club remains in limbo throughout the summer, we may not get those 2-3 quality additions and will face another struggle next season.

We have 3-4 players who are above average -- three of them, Delph, Guzan and Benteke, have the potential to be very good, Benteke maybe even world class. (Vlaar's the other one.) We have unknown quantities like Okore, and a few guys who I think are under-performing -- Agbonlahor, Weimann, Bertrand did in the last several games too.

Then we have a fair few average players -- Westwood, KEA, Kozak, Bacuna, Lowton (despite his dip in form this season). Some of those average players have the potential to be better than average. Most of them are young and as such, inconsistent. All teams from the top 6 down have some average players in their team -- if there's quality around them, you can get by with a few average players. Our problem is two-fold -- not enough quality around those average players, and our backups are poor.

I do think that if we can get in those 2-3 quality additions, and have a little more luck with injuries, we could steady the ship next season. When I look at some of the teams around the mid-table mark -- Stoke, West Ham, Crystal Palace -- I honestly don't think their teams are any better than ours. I really don't. I'm sure you can argue certain players here and there, but by and large there isn't a whole lot separating us from those teams.

The real problem is can Lambert motivate these guys properly? That's the thing I began to question as the season drew to a close. That's not down to the team or to individual players, someone has to unite them and get them playing as a unit. Someone said it above, I think -- we lack identity.

worst squad for 10 years

granted, with got some good players, like weimann, benteke, and, erm, ye!

but the team generally cant gel, they just dont fit together like a team

i cant see vlaar and okore playing together, who will go on left side of central?

as for midfield, the only decent midfielder we have is delph (12 months ago i couldnt stand him) if we got rid of the others i wouldnt miss them

we need new LB, a DM, an AM, a versatile winger who can play either side and another striker

I've been thinking about our squad and the fact we've sacked two main coaches. Maybe, just maybe, Karsa and Culverhouse have done us a favour. Who knows, two new coaches coming in might just make a huge difference to the players and how we play. We MIGHT see a different team next season, with some luck.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about our squad and the fact we've sacked two main coaches. Maybe, just maybe, Karsa and Culverhouse have done us a favour. Who knows, two new coaches coming in might just make a huge difference to the players and how we play. We MIGHT see a different team next season, with some luck.

If the managers the same I can't see the new coaches making much of a difference.

I can, if the rumours are true that Lambert leaves the coaches to do it all.

Lambert will still play the same way, make the same poor tactical decisions before and during games and still not get the best from the squad he built.

I'm among those who believe we're about 2-3 quality players away from a comfortably mid-table/top ten finish.

Me too!

Messi, Ronaldo and Bale should get us mid table. ;)

Edited by SeanO
  • Like 2

I'm among those who believe we're about 2-3 quality players away from a comfortably mid-table/top ten finish.

Me too!

But doesn't that show the squad is currently quite bad if we need 2-3 quality players to just get mid table.

I agree with the 'add 2 or 3 quality players' line. Player for player, it's not a dreadful team, it just has too many young/inexperienced players who have spent the majority of their career in lower/foreign leagues and need carrying at times.<br />

<br />

<br />

IMO.. Our rightbacks (Lowton/Bacuna) are better than the previous (Cuellar/Lichaj/Hutton), our main centreback (Vlaar) is better than some previous (Collins/Cuellar/occasionally Dunne), some of our midfielders (Westwood/Delph) are better than recent years (Sidwell/NRC/Ireland) and our striking options (Benteke/Gabby/Kozak/Weimann) are much better than we've previously had (Carew/Heskey/Gabby/Fonz) when we've been doing well. Obviously, the above is very selective, and omits players like Petrov/Milner/Young etc, but with adding a few players of that quality to guide the others, we will be a much better side. Also, with those better players in the team, some of the younger/less experienced players will be used less often, and have less pressure on them.

• Like 1

What bugs me the most is I can probably name more than 5 players that were deemed not good enough and sold who would walk straight in to that team or at the very least challenge for a place. So frustrating.

I'm struggling to name one.

Curtis Davies

Wayne Routledge

Steven Davis

Gary Cahill

Steve Sidwell

James Collins

Ok no world beaters apart from Cahill who would have eventually left anyway but I'd say a few of those could still get in our team. Not because they are good players but more due to how much we have declined since each of them left.

This is hilarious!

Me too!

But doesn't that show the squad is currently quite bad if we need 2-3 quality players to just get mid table.

Whoosh............... BJ that was my point.

"Horrendous attitude". Right. My take is that he is one of the most hard working players we have.

You must've been watching a different season to me then. I saw a player who was anonymous about 90% of the time.

I'm one of those that think that there is an attitude at B6.....For me there is like a hidden agenda, a bad smell about the place, something just ain't right on the football side.

Thats why I want Lambert out.

we have had problems like this in the past but managers like Graham Taylor Mk 1 and i won't say it in fear of repeating myself and defaulting to the obvious...Sir Ron

despite them having to buy budget players I saw improvement in their development as the weeks rolled by.....I don't see that to the same degree anymore.

I think we have undoubtedly got quality issues in key area's of the squad, we have also been hit by long term injuries to our key players.

However, I also feel there is something in the football management side I don't like....its all to inevitable, we will try again next week, next week comes just like last week and so on.

This manager always refers to " we go again" and there is a certain part of that, that is practically apt, you could say "what more can he say".....but its the dismissive nature that the comment is delivered that concerns me.

Edited by TRO

Â