Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

Davies I can see your point maybe but Collins? No way is he better than Vlaar. Okore looked better too and I think he's about on par with Clark. Likewise, I don't see Sidwell as an improvement on KEA, Westwood or Delph.

Without any spending, we have:

---------------Guzan---------------

------------------------------------

-Lowton---Vlaar-Okore---Bennett

---------Westwood--Delph---------

--Bacuna---Weimann---Gabby----

-------------Benteke---------------

Plus: Bent, NZogbia, Clark, Baker, Donacien, Hutton, Luna, Bowery, KEA, Kozak, Tonev, Helenius, J Grealish, C Robinson, D Johnson,

Add in a couple of signings - e.g Bertrand, Lescott, Hoolahan etc. Is it really that bad?

That squad is atrocious

Davies I can see your point maybe but Collins? No way is he better than Vlaar. Okore looked better too and I think he's about on par with Clark. Likewise, I don't see Sidwell as an improvement on KEA, Westwood or Delph.

I think Collins is an ok defender. A massive improvement on Clark and and Baker. Jury still out on Okore so not sure about that one but I agree he probably not better than Vlaar. Easy to say in hindsight but I think Collins would have played a lot this season. He was generally quite solid for West Ham.

Sidwell I think would be the bit of experience in the middle of the park we are crying out for.

Weirdly, as our expectations are so low, I think we will be alright. If we can get anything close to useful out of Bent, N'Zogbia and/or Hutton, get more use out of Okore, Kozak and Benteke and have a slightly better coaching staff, plus bring a couple of players in, I think we would be fairly comfortable.

With players returning from injuries, or reintroduced into the first team again, what team could we be looking at starting the season with? Would CNZ be back? Would Bent be in line for a starting berth?

Will Kozak miss the start of the season?

With players returning from injuries, or reintroduced into the first team again, what team could we be looking at starting the season with? Would CNZ be back? Would Bent be in line for a starting berth?

Will Kozak miss the start of the season?

------------------ Guzan ---------------

Lowton --- Okore --- Vlaar --- Luna

--------------- Westwood --------------

----------- KEA --------- Delph ---------

---------------- N'Zogbia -----------------

------------ Bent ------ Kozak -----------

Should Kozak return for the first game that is.

Edited by samjp26

Interesting...

Is Kozak in line to return before the start of the season? 

Assuming Helenius is off, we'll have:

Bent

Kozak

Gabby

Weimann

J Bowz

and the Beast, upon his return, that can play as a striker.

With CNZ, Robinson and Grealish able to naturally offer width, could we see a different style of play? I think a lot will depend on PL's new second in command.

Lambert says he is a doubt for the very start, but personally I can't see how that can be possible as a break should be healed by then. I guess it depends on how much time he gets to get up to match fitness in pre-season.

For anyone stating that our poor excuse for a PL starting 11 'just needs a couple of quality signings'. Do they actually think all the other clubs are just going to sit there and add nobody?

Guzan, Vlar and Benteke can stay. The rest need to either do one or put some serious practice in.

For anyone stating that our poor excuse for a PL starting 11 'just needs a couple of quality signings'. Do they actually think all the other clubs are just going to sit there and add nobody?

Guzan, Vlar and Benteke can stay. The rest need to either do one or put some serious practice in.

Thing is, our best starting 11 isn't actually that bad at all - we just seriously lack depth.

• Like 1

Thing is, our best starting 11 isn't actually that bad at all - we just seriously lack depth.

I can't agree. I think it's woeful. I'm still on the fence with Delph, Westwood and Weiman, but this year all three need to up their consistency. Okore, Kozak: no one knows yet.

If I'm wrong then Lambert has done an even worse job than i thought.

I can't agree. I think it's woeful. I'm still on the fence with Delph, Westwood and Weiman, but this year all three need to up their consistency. Okore, Kozak: no one knows yet.

If I'm wrong then Lambert has done an even worse job than i thought.

Agree with most of that and from what I saw from Kozak he looked quite average too.  Okore started 2 league games, I believe, and we lost them both.

Let's hope all of the above players improve next season.

In response to the OP, yes it really is and you haven't exactly done yourself any favours including tripe like Weimann as a No. 10 in your team.

Weimann was played centrally 8 times last season. He scored 4 goals and had 1 assist in those starts.

He had 1 goal and 2 assists in his other 21 starts.

Perhaps we should consider how a player is being misutilized before we write them off, especially if they are 22-year-old internationals.

"Centrally" ≠ No. 10. He isn't and never will be good enough to play in that role.

In response to the OP, yes it really is and you haven't exactly done yourself any favours including tripe like Weimann as a No. 10 in your team.

Weimann was played centrally 8 times last season. He scored 4 goals and had 1 assist in those starts.

He had 1 goal and 2 assists in his other 21 starts.

Perhaps we should consider how a player is being misutilized before we write them off, especially if they are 22-year-old internationals.

"Centrally" ≠ No. 10. He isn't and never will be good enough to play in that role.

First of all, you called him "tripe." Did not say he was worthless in that role, just that we was worthless.

Second, he played as an AM twice last season and scored in one of those matches. I seem to remember him being particularly good in that role in the West Brom match.

Those two matches are not a great sample size, and I would rather him playing as a central forward. Still not deserving of the word "tripe."

• Like 1

Â