Is our team really that bad?

PeteWilson

Form doesn't last forever. Not saying we'll be great this season but people seem to be assuming that the horrendous form of late March onwards is going to continue for the entirety of next season.

I just worry with the current uncertainty and a poor start, there will be revolt from the stands and the season will turn ugly very quickly indeed which will impact on the morale of the players.

This!

First of all, you called him "tripe." Did not say he was worthless in that role, just that we was worthless.

Second, he played as an AM twice last season and scored in one of those matches. I seem to remember him being particularly good in that role in the West Brom match.

Those two matches are not a great sample size, and I would rather him playing as a central forward. Still not deserving of the word "tripe."

Oh don't get me wrong, I do consider him "tripe". I just thought you were referring to the bit of my comment about him as a No. 10. Ultimately though, there is very little he is good at. Awful technically and very unintelligent. Worst of all though is his attitude which has been horrendous. I'd happily see him shipped out in the summer, no real loss at all.

Also no, he didn't play as No. 10 vs. Albion, that was Bacuna.

I actually agree with a lot of this... But horrendous attitude? Weimann?

First of all, you called him "tripe." Did not say he was worthless in that role, just that we was worthless.

Second, he played as an AM twice last season and scored in one of those matches. I seem to remember him being particularly good in that role in the West Brom match.

Those two matches are not a great sample size, and I would rather him playing as a central forward. Still not deserving of the word "tripe."

Oh don't get me wrong, I do consider him "tripe". I just thought you were referring to the bit of my comment about him as a No. 10. Ultimately though, there is very little he is good at. Awful technically and very unintelligent. Worst of all though is his attitude which has been horrendous. I'd happily see him shipped out in the summer, no real loss at all.

Also no, he didn't play as No. 10 vs. Albion, that was Bacuna.

"Horrendous attitude". Right. My take is that he is one of the most hard working players we have.
You must've been watching a different season to me then. I saw a player who was anonymous about 90% of the time.

Anonymous cause he isn't that good, not because he has a poor attitude.

This Villa side is a steaming pile of shit who have got lucky that there have been at least 3 worse teams than us in the past  3 years of pain. The sooner we all realise that without major investment Villa will sooner rather than later get relegated, the better. Drastic changes are needed at owner, manager and player recruitment level for Villa just to become a solid mid table Premier League side.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Form doesn't last forever. Not saying we'll be great this season but people seem to be assuming that the horrendous form of late March onwards is going to continue for the entirety of next season.

And during his first year you assumed we had as much chance of finishing top 6 as we did of being in a relegation battle and last year you assumed we wouldn't need to worry about relegation.

The fact is we've been shit for 3 years, so while form doesn't last forever its unlikely we're going to see a massive change when firstly we won't be investing much money and secondly our best player will not return at the start of the season.

Edited by Big_John_10

This Villa side is a steaming pile of shit who have got lucky that there have been at least 3 worse teams than us in the past 3 years of pain. The sooner we all realise that without major investment Villa will sooner rather than later get relegated, the better. Drastic changes are needed at owner, manager and player recruitment level for Villa just to become a solid mid table Premier League side.

Who hasn't realised that? The last 2 seasons have gone as expected. It would take a fool to expect more with this level of investment

This Villa side is a steaming pile of shit who have got lucky that there have been at least 3 worse teams than us in the past 3 years of pain. The sooner we all realise that without major investment Villa will sooner rather than later get relegated, the better. Drastic changes are needed at owner, manager and player recruitment level for Villa just to become a solid mid table Premier League side.

Who hasn't realised that? The last 2 seasons have gone as expected. It would take a fool to expect more with this level of investment

Well I guess the person who started the thread or was it a rhetorical question?

This squad of players should, with a competent coach/manager in the mould of T.Pullis, finish in mid table.

Unfortunately we have a head coach/manager who says, 'Weimann is great as a centre forward', then plays him in midfield the next match.

I was actually surprised that he didn't play Guzan as centre forward in a couple of games.
A decent coch/manager is able to use different tactics instead of thinking that tactics are just sweets.

tbh, I don't think our team is that bad. With a playmaker I don't understand why couldn't we be a top 10 side. Our problem this year was against the bottom sides. Add to that some bad tactics and injuries. I would add another factor which is Lambert didn't take gambles as in his first year. Weimann was out of form, Yet he kept playing every game. Gabby isn't that good against the less teams at home yet he kept playing.

The only gambles he took was playing Bacuna and Kozak, The first one was forced to be played instead of Lowton and did good in his first game at RB + was faboulous in his second game with assisting a goal and scoring another. After that he cemented his place. Kozak in his second sub game scored a goal in his first minutes. and we were unbeaten for 3 games without Benteke. So Lambert took the gamble by not playing Benteke in some games.

Players like Tonev and Helenius didn't have their chances, Although everytime I saw Helenius he used to have things other players don't have, Same goes with Tonev. Yet when Holt came Lambert didn't notice he isn't mobile enough to play in that formation.

Lambert wasn't brave in his choices this season, Unlike last season. And this is one of the most reasons that made our season bad.

And during his first year you assumed we had as much chance of finishing top 6 as we did of being in a relegation battle and last year you assumed we wouldn't need to worry about relegation.

The fact is we've been shit for 3 years, so while form doesn't last forever its unlikely we're going to see a massive change when firstly we won't be investing much money and secondly our best player will not return at the start of the season.

And many people have claimed in each of the last 4 seasons that we're doomed and destined to go down - we didn't in any of those seasons.

Actually, I think I said we had more chance of finishing top 6 than actually being relegated. I'm not entirely sure on that though, point scoring and dragging up old posts from years ago isn't really my thing.

tbh, I don't think our team is that bad. With a playmaker I don't understand why couldn't we be a top 10 side. 

We'd need a new, more competent, defence as well.

Just for starters.

I won't say. Because I don't think we'd find a gem as Okore. I'd also say we might not find an experienced defender he would get infront of him (in our range).

Vlaar is good, Okore could have been fantastic !

I think a fit Guzan,Vlaar,Okore,Bacuna,Delph,AM,Gabby and Benteke Would be good enough to take us to top 10 ! 

If (and I know how much we love that word around these parts) we'd beaten Fulham and Palace once each, we'd have finished on 44 points in 11th place, 5 behind Newcastle in 10th and 6 behind Stoke in 9th.

Those are the margins in the middle of the table.

Is this squad capable of winning 2 more games than it did last season? Absolutely yes. IMO it's capable of winning 4 more, and drawing 2-3 more, without any investment. That's an additional 15 points you're looking at, which is enough for 9th.

The key factor is management. It's using the right players and using them properly. I'm not so sure we can manage that bit consistently

Is our team really that bad?

Mmmm... let me think about that one for a moment......

Yes, we are crap.

Do you believe the players and managers performed at precisely their level this season? In that there was no scope for improvement based on what you see as their ability, or for things to be done better by the personnel involved?

If you think they performed below what they're capable of, then we're not "that bad" - we just underperformed

If you think they performed at their level, then we're probably not "that bad" either, because we stayed up

If you think they performed above their level, then we're most definitely "that bad"

Â