New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/nYTAPRq6Y4ug2qTE7

https://images.app.goo.gl/8bVKukWFdYqV9xzR7

The Cleveland cavaliers have a wine and gold colour scheme which I generally think looks very good. 

Would want our gold to be more subtle than that to be fair.

More like say thin piping and accents/outlines etc.

Obviously basketball kits are different though.

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

OK, here's my abbreviated version of my perspective on the FCG crest/identity discussion at VP last night -

It was a loooong chat. A guy from the design agency was leading it, and lists PSG and LOSC amongst other clubs he/the agency has recently designed for.

It was a conversation that I'm deeply passionate about, as you can imagine. Whilst one of the members began with "this'll be easy - we just go back to the round one", I was keen to emphasise that it needs deeper thought than that.

As much as the general consensus on the survey was "it was just marketing buzzwords", things made more sense when I began talking about values. As a club, we were historically pioneers and this should be an opportunity to showcase that. If we just "go back to the round one" we're the same as Chelsea and Man City - and they're a couple of Johnny Come-Latelys who want to pretend they've got heritage.

The lion is one of two constants in the history of Aston Villa. The name is the other. Personally, I'd love for our crest to be a lion with Aston Villa written below it. Maybe give the Villa more prominence than the Aston (like Paris and St Germain on their new crest).

I wouldn't have the star. Incorporating it suggests we won't win it again. Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona - no stars. Villa and Forest - stars.  Maybe feature it inside the shirt, behind the badge, or something. It has a role, just not as part of our main identity. Look at Liverpool's official crest, then look at what shows up on the front and back of the shirt. An identity can take various forms so long as they all work together.

I talked about how disjointed our visuals are in general - from Twitter to matchday to around the ground. I requested a bespoke typeface that we can own and use everywhere. I also talked about colour. As you approach VP now, there are countless banners on lampposts. Great, but the top part of them is sky blue and so is most of the crest, so they are largely invisible.  Couple that with no real clarity on what our colours are. No consistency either. My suggestion was to get a 1982 shirt, send it to a company in the US called CSI and have them created the dye recipe and reference number for that claret and that blue. That then becomes the standard.

I also talked about the prestige of the crest and the shirt. I talked a lot. Dave Woodhall was keen to support me in saying that I should be the one talking a lot! As I approach the Holte on a matchday I see the club badge in gold leaf and feel proud. As I leave VP at the end, I'm trampling all over it on burger wrappers and serviettes. It's disrespectful. The badge is our crown jewel. Treat it like that.

Same for the shirt - only the men's and women's first teams should get the main kit. All other age groups have their own version. Pro and replica should be available for sale, but you only get a Villa shirt when you're picked for the first team. It's an honour.

As much as this is my personal view on it, albeit an informed one, I also spoke about the requirements of other fans in different localities and age groups - including potential new fans seeing us for the first time and being able to know who we are. I was part of implementing the new identity of Spurs and the Italian federation, saw first-hand the mess with Everton's first go around at their new badge (and the "please everyone" version they ended up with) AND had to talk Hull City down from the cliff edge when they were looking to implement the whole "Tigers" thing. What they ended up with could've been far, far worse.

I feel like we'll get something good here, something to be proud of, so long as the surveys and feedback don't hamstring it.

A camel is a racehorse designed by committee.

Wow Rob I couldn't agree more... Thanks for this and pleased you spoke a lot! You've summed up a lot of my sentiments there. 

Like you say, our current look and feel is very muddled, disjointed and, well, "template-y" if that makes any sense.

I completed the survey and wrote that I'm not in favour of a return to the round badge... I want something that is unique, like us.

I also think trying to shoehorn in the star makes a mess too. 

My concern is that - going off the North Stand designs - it will be pretty conservative and safe. And round. Undoubtedly most of the feedback will be in favour of that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

My concern is that - going off the North Stand designs - it will be pretty conservative and safe. And round. Undoubtedly most of the feedback will be in favour of that.

There's a lot more to the North Stand design than meets the eye. And it's all very considered too. Futureproof, if you like.

If the same approach is taken here, we'll be alright.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

OK, here's my abbreviated version of my perspective on the FCG crest/identity discussion at VP last night -

It was a loooong chat. A guy from the design agency was leading it, and lists PSG and LOSC amongst other clubs he/the agency has recently designed for.

It was a conversation that I'm deeply passionate about, as you can imagine. Whilst one of the members began with "this'll be easy - we just go back to the round one", I was keen to emphasise that it needs deeper thought than that.

As much as the general consensus on the survey was "it was just marketing buzzwords", things made more sense when I began talking about values. As a club, we were historically pioneers and this should be an opportunity to showcase that. If we just "go back to the round one" we're the same as Chelsea and Man City - and they're a couple of Johnny Come-Latelys who want to pretend they've got heritage.

The lion is one of two constants in the history of Aston Villa. The name is the other. Personally, I'd love for our crest to be a lion with Aston Villa written below it. Maybe give the Villa more prominence than the Aston (like Paris and St Germain on their new crest).

I wouldn't have the star. Incorporating it suggests we won't win it again. Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona - no stars. Villa and Forest - stars.  Maybe feature it inside the shirt, behind the badge, or something. It has a role, just not as part of our main identity. Look at Liverpool's official crest, then look at what shows up on the front and back of the shirt. An identity can take various forms so long as they all work together.

I talked about how disjointed our visuals are in general - from Twitter to matchday to around the ground. I requested a bespoke typeface that we can own and use everywhere. I also talked about colour. As you approach VP now, there are countless banners on lampposts. Great, but the top part of them is sky blue and so is most of the crest, so they are largely invisible.  Couple that with no real clarity on what our colours are. No consistency either. My suggestion was to get a 1982 shirt, send it to a company in the US called CSI and have them created the dye recipe and reference number for that claret and that blue. That then becomes the standard.

I also talked about the prestige of the crest and the shirt. I talked a lot. Dave Woodhall was keen to support me in saying that I should be the one talking a lot! As I approach the Holte on a matchday I see the club badge in gold leaf and feel proud. As I leave VP at the end, I'm trampling all over it on burger wrappers and serviettes. It's disrespectful. The badge is our crown jewel. Treat it like that.

Same for the shirt - only the men's and women's first teams should get the main kit. All other age groups have their own version. Pro and replica should be available for sale, but you only get a Villa shirt when you're picked for the first team. It's an honour.

As much as this is my personal view on it, albeit an informed one, I also spoke about the requirements of other fans in different localities and age groups - including potential new fans seeing us for the first time and being able to know who we are. I was part of implementing the new identity of Spurs and the Italian federation, saw first-hand the mess with Everton's first go around at their new badge (and the "please everyone" version they ended up with) AND had to talk Hull City down from the cliff edge when they were looking to implement the whole "Tigers" thing. What they ended up with could've been far, far worse.

I feel like we'll get something good here, something to be proud of, so long as the surveys and feedback don't hamstring it.

You certainly know your stuff. confident with your input.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterSw said:

Agree withpretty much everything you said NurembergVillan.

I too am pretty confident that the club will get this right. 

Did they give an idea on the time frame?

It's gonna be fairly quick. It needs to be, because it takes ages to implement all this stuff.

28 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Agreed. A simple, recognisable brand.

• Like 1

After doing the survey I’m now as confused as clubs 3 examples of visual identity. I do like the Lille badge and I went for the Luton badge as a design ideas and basis of modern and traditional .. So  good luck to the club ! 

42124ED2-6D14-4647-8324-0C2D601B57C8.png

A47C8EFF-2856-435A-94F8-15C06AACA841.png

37 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Agree with absolutely all of this*. Glad to have you there.

*except the colours, I’m sorry! Totally agree it should be set in stone, but for me while the 1982 kit colours are more classic, from a branding and colour theory POV I don’t think they’re quite aesthetic enough, not enough contrast in the luminance.

• Like 2

I think the satelite academies now have their own strip, or at least the one in Gloucester does, presumably the others are the same, but our actual academy players representing Aston Villa should definitely wear the same top as first team players, they've earned the right to play for the club in their age group, which is no easy feat, relatively speaking they're amongst some of the best youngsters in the country, it's not as if just anyone can play for our younger age groups.

Seperating the younger age groups from the first team like that would probably also make us less attractive to young players we're trying to bring into the club, it needs to be all unified as much as possible to make us as attractive as possible.

After Mark Harrison left Albion they had someone who tried to introduce similar rules to their academy, in terms of youngsters not being able to do this and that until they earned the right, and a lot of their fans blame that on them losing a lot of their people to us.

The Foundation and disablility teams all wear the first team shirt as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think the satelite academies now have their own strip, or at least the one in Gloucester does, presumably the others are the same, but our actual academy players representing Aston Villa should definitely wear the same top as first team players, they've earned the right to play for the club in their age group, which is no easy feat, relatively speaking they're amongst some of the best youngsters in the country, it's not as if just anyone can play for our younger age groups.

Seperating the younger age groups from the first team like that would probably also make us less attractive to young players we're trying to bring into the club, it needs to be all unified as much as possible to make us as attractive as possible.

After Mark Harrison left Albion they had someone who tried to introduce similar rules to their academy, in terms of youngsters not being able to do this and that until they earned the right, and a lot of their fans blame that on them losing a lot of their people to us.

The Foundation and disablility teams all wear the first team shirt as well.

Having a different kit for the academy kids isn’t going to put off anyone from joining us 😂

Yes it is, there's a lot of competition, you have to make them feel like they're joining Aston Villa as much as possible, part of that is them getting to wear the Aston Villa jersey.

Us making the academy players wear a different kit is something that just won't happen, it' something that won't happen at any of the top academies.

Edited by useless

53 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's gonna be fairly quick. It needs to be, because it takes ages to implement all this stuff.

I got that vibe when they opened the latest survey for only just over a week.

Do you think it’s something we see next season on the shirts?

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Yes it is, there's a lot of competition, you have to make them feel like they're joining Aston Villa as much as possible, part of that is them getting to wear the Aston Villa jersey.

Us making the academy players wear a different kit is something that just won't happen, it' something that won't happen at any of the top academies.

nope, and I’m not sure the kids (or their parents) that would make a decision of who to sign for based on whether they get to wear a specific kit or not are the kinda kids that will make the grade at first team level.

That's a far too simplistic way of looking at it, doesn't matter anwya  there's no way whatsoever that the club will make the academy players wear a different kit, it's just not going to happen, and isn't a good idea, it's a bad idea.