$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

How many would love Saudi Royalty? Who sponsr terrorism and put down women - There are no angels out there just Billionaires

Wow there's a pathetic comment.

Perhaps you would like to go seek an Asda England flag to wear as well.

**** nonsense to be honest mate.  I follow football because I love the game and Aston Villa were the club closest to my heart growing up.

In my lifetime, I've seen us win TWO TROPHIES.  That's 27 years of winning, essentially, **** all.  I have no entitlement to winning things.  I'd love to see us win another European Cup; I doubt this will happen.  Despite how most people feel about certain footballers, I love the fact we've fielded Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Gardner etc. as local lads playing for a local team.

Chelsea have none.  Man City have none.  If this is the route we all want to take, fine - let's just get bought out by someone who has no emotional connection to the club and sell our soul.  If there is substantial financial backing, the youth setup will be obsolete; or, to further, it will exist but be pointless.  See: Chelsea, Man City.

If you're asking me what I'd prefer; a backer throwing £1bn at our playing staff at us being instantaneously successful or having a poor owner who cares for the club, but we get relegated I'd take the latter everytime.

This post epitomizes why a lack of success has become acceptable to some of our fans.

Its a fine notion to have home grown players in your team but will our academy ever produce enough quality at the one time to form a successful team in the Premiership?

a ) People, including yourself, need to **** off with this "lack of success has become acceptable", "lowered expectations" nonsense.  We've won 2 trophies in 31+ years - 0 trophies in 18 years.  Of course I accept that we're not a top team, for **** sake.

b ) Depends what you define as successful.  A league winning team, though?  No.  No academy will.

Do you have the ambition for Villa to be a top team? 

Winners dream, think big and make things happen.    Losers tend to rest on their laurels, have low expectations of themselves and those around them.

I think so many fans have had the hope kicked out of them by years of Doug Ellis and Lerner that they dare not think of Villa competing for big prizes.   It's almost as if people think Villa should never be allowed to compete or that there is some latent gene in the club's DNA that means we should never compete.  

Villa fans have every right to want their club to win the Premier League, Champions' League, F.A. Cup, etc.  People wanting new owners who have those ambitions (and the means to make it possible) are spot on.

why do people think that Randy will only sell to the right person for the sake of Aston Villa.

Randy will sell to the right person for Randy, what would he care about the Villa once he has washed his hands of it, just like if you or I had a house that we loved, invested time and money into it, got a bit bored of it and put it up for sale, you aren't going to be bothered if the new owner is going to invest in doing it up, all you are bothered with is getting the price you want for it and moving on.

• Like 2

Well this got serious quickly.

The man was accused and acquitted years ago. What's the problem? If he had just finished a 10 year sentence then I might have my doubts. I've never seen him run a football club so I'm not going to say if he can do it well or not. I'm a Villa fan and I want what's best for the club. Is he it? Not a scooby. He might be. He might, like anyone, ruin it. At the end of the day, I believe we are a big club with a huge history and should be fighting for everything.

As for who Randy would or wouldn't sell to, let's just take a minute to remember that he sold the Browns, a team given to him by his father, to someone who is being looked into by the FBI. Villa have less sentimental value to him so I firmly believe it will be a decision made by his wallet as opposed to his heart.

As for who Randy would or wouldn't sell to, let's just take a minute to remember that he sold the Browns, a team given to him by his father, to someone who is being looked into by the FBI. Villa have less sentimental value to him so I firmly believe it will be a decision made by his wallet as opposed to his heart.

Didn't the FBI investigation start later though?

Fair point. Just looked and it was about a year after the sale. I just don't think Randy is going to care too much about a 4 year old accusation for which he was acquitted. If he has the bills, I can't see Randy's moral fibre kicking in and turning him down.

523 pages... i've missed the last 250 pages or so.

What are the latest rumours the ITKs/fantasists/Walter Mitty characters are making up?

Fair point. Just looked and it was about a year after the sale. I just don't think Randy is going to care too much about a 4 year old accusation for which he was acquitted. If he has the bills, I can't see Randy's moral fibre kicking in and turning him down.

Neither do I, but if he was acquitted then I don't see why he should care that much in the first place.

• Like 1

Blimey some people need to wake up!

If these folks buying us means players like Falcao join for £10m and we sell him for £50m then fair enough. Beats buying Heskey or Shorey or Beye any day of the week!

Lets see what they propose first. Lerner has been painful for the past 4 years so lets try something new?

This model is being run by Athletico and Benfica and forgive me if I fancy having a model which wins leagues and European trophies but has a conveyor belt of young new talent. Well shoot me!

I'd rather be the club at the end of the process buying the player for £50 million.  

Blimey some people need to wake up!

If these folks buying us means players like Falcao join for £10m and we sell him for £50m then fair enough. Beats buying Heskey or Shorey or Beye any day of the week!

Lets see what they propose first. Lerner has been painful for the past 4 years so lets try something new?

This model is being run by Athletico and Benfica and forgive me if I fancy having a model which wins leagues and European trophies but has a conveyor belt of young new talent. Well shoot me!

I'd rather be the club at the end of the process buying the player for £50 million.  

That just isn't likely to happen though. People need to accept that the chances of someone willing to come in and do a Man City are incredibly low.

I don't understand how fans of a club who have been spending as little as we have these past few years can now have such high expectations for what potential owners can spend.

Edited by Mantis

Just come back from having a drink with none other than Alan Hutton, who is out here with his family on holiday. Actually seemed like a very pleasant chap and was looking forward to getting the chance to claim a place in the first XI next season.

I asked him if he knew much about the takeover and he replied by saying that the players have known it to be happening for a while, but no firm ideas as to who it may be. He actually spoke like an employee concerned about his job. He mentioned that he was 'pretty sure' that the new owners would be here sooner rather than later, and hoped tht they'd spend some money.

Like I said, he seemed very affable and happy to play for the Villa if given the opportunity. In terms of inside knowledge, I genuinely believe the players have as much inside info as we do right now. 

Bah! I had lunch with Mick Jagger and he doesn't know anything about the takeover either :)

I had lunch with a few Jaeger Bombs - I now know abllsoolytyi noyhing about any takeaways or any legovers  hic! :cheers:  :wacko:

• Like 2

I just want lots and lots and lots of money, I want to see us win something! I don't care who it is, Lapal was prepared to pay for the club in bjs at one stage.

• Like 1

6 or 7 bidders eh?  It could be years before we are sold so they say.  6 months it would take for a deal to happen.

#believedat

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...nothing concrete at the moment

Dunno bout that - russian mafioso - has he been building any shopping malls recently???

Interesting read. IMHO after reading that if the new owners are American I can only see Ellison or PA buying us as a trophy asset or part of a bigger network as you will never see a return on your investment.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/english-football/rodonovan/anyone-want-aston-villa-football-club/

Thats a really interesting article that is very relevant to the potential takeover.

Any thoughts guys?

It just shows how naive Lerner was from the start, thinking he'd ever turn a profit. If he kept the Browns, he'd still be making a profit, without the specter of relegation every year. The Browns will always be in the NFL, sharing merchandise and TV revenue equally with far better and more popular teams. 

Owning a "soccer" club is just a money drain unless you've got incredibly deep pockets, or front a consortium, which is our best bet.