$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Is everyone ok if it's russian money, after the last few months?

I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it, but purely in footballing terms, I wouldn't mind a Russian owner. If they stump up the money, I don't think I'd mind who it was. Unless they brought the club in to disrepute, I'd hate to see the AV name dragged through the mud because of an owner, like the SHA owner banged up in jail. Morally speaking, I suppose it would be harsh to label all Russian owners with the same brush; I don't like a lot of things the UK government have done in the past, so I wouldn't like someone to imply that I am part of those decisions when I'm not. Interesting question.
I agree with you that not all russians should be judged by what's going on.

At the same time russian billionaires are either pals of, or at the very least accepted by, Putin or in jail.

I wouldn't want our team or name be tarnished in any way because of some connection to global politics like this.

Meh, I'd suggest that any individual (russian or otherwise) who has amassed vast swathes of personal wealth has probably had to make some moral compromises along the way. but haters gon hate

To be clear I'm not saying we should absolutely not have a russian owner. But I think it's a relevant issue in this time.

My own feeling is that I would rather have for example an American owner.

Totally agree it's a relevant issue. Like JuanPablo said; most individuals rich enough to buy a premier league football team have probably had to make questionable moral choices in the past (I'm sure with some exceptions). Having a Russian oligarch owner doesn't seem to bother Chelsea fans too much though, or damaged the name of the club. Not suggesting any owner would put that much money in, but success would certainly help fans warm to them. Interesting what villa-rev is saying re: two owners lined up, I assume it's fairly imminent then?

Is everyone ok if it's russian money, after the last few months?

I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it, but purely in footballing terms, I wouldn't mind a Russian owner. If they stump up the money, I don't think I'd mind who it was. Unless they brought the club in to disrepute, I'd hate to see the AV name dragged through the mud because of an owner, like the SHA owner banged up in jail. Morally speaking, I suppose it would be harsh to label all Russian owners with the same brush; I don't like a lot of things the UK government have done in the past, so I wouldn't like someone to imply that I am part of those decisions when I'm not. Interesting question.
I agree with you that not all russians should be judged by what's going on.

At the same time russian billionaires are either pals of, or at the very least accepted by, Putin or in jail.

I wouldn't want our team or name be tarnished in any way because of some connection to global politics like this.

Meh, I'd suggest that any individual (russian or otherwise) who has amassed vast swathes of personal wealth has probably had to make some moral compromises along the way. but haters gon hate

To be clear I'm not saying we should absolutely not have a russian owner. But I think it's a relevant issue in this time.

My own feeling is that I would rather have for example an American owner.

Totally agree it's a relevant issue. Like JuanPablo said; most individuals rich enough to buy a premier league football team have probably had to make questionable moral choices in the past (I'm sure with some exceptions). Having a Russian oligarch owner doesn't seem to bother Chelsea fans too much though, or damaged the name of the club. Not suggesting any owner would put that much money in, but success would certainly help fans warm to them. Interesting what villa-rev is saying re: two owners lined up, I assume it's fairly imminent then?

I think the names will leak out very shortly.......

• Like 2

I'm not sure anything will get announced until the season is over, still have Man City and Spurs left.

After these two fixtures are over i'd imagine we would hear something, although maybe the club itself is preparing for next season already.

Hopefully in a few years, we are all sitting in a 60,000 redeveloped Villa Park and hearing the Champions League anthem for the first time. 

I would just be happy to not lose 10 games at home, be a mid table side, have occasional cup runs, and average about 38,000 tbh, Not asking that much.

• Like 1

Hopefully in a few years, we are all sitting in a 60,000 redeveloped Villa Park and hearing the Champions League anthem for the first time. 

I would just be happy to not lose 10 games at home, be a mid table side, have occasional cup runs, and average about 38,000 tbh, Not asking that much.

Where is your ambition?  ;)

A lot seems to point to the Texas Rangers guys apart from the fact that 200 Million seems to be such a large chunk of Davis's fortune.

They didn't buy TR with there own money - they seem to have access to large backers 

I didn't realise that. I did think it strange though that they should deny any interest based on internet rumours.

Call it either way - if they hadn't denied it - youd thinks them - if they deny it - you think smokescreen !!!!!   Hodgson in his latest tweet doesn't to think its them - and he is talking about 'AN' American.....

• Like 1