Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

I probably enjoyed that more than last week overall. Didn't have the high of the finale last week but was more consistent across the episode. Lots of development across the different arcs and lots of set up. 

Spoiler

Bran's rescue and subsequent reveal was so obvious they needn't have waited half the episode to show it. I also reckon they've pretty much just confirmed the theory that Bran meddles with the past to kick start the entire show - he makes the Mad King mad, his cries of burn them all a are going to be Bran messing in his head either accidentally or an attempt to try to influence him to act against the white walkers before the events of the series start which he monumentally **** up.

Good to see Sam's family and the reveal of another Valyrian steel sword.

And good to see Walder Frey back with a load of stuff dating back 3 series looking to become somewhat important.

Arya's plot is in danger of turning into another Danaerys storyline. We get it writers. She's out for revenge but she has a conscious and morals. She's increasingly becoming an also ran character as the plot moves towards world changing events. The Faceless Men plot is increasingly looking like a holding pattern for her character while they wait for everything to get in place for her to start assassinating characters/having a turn towards mercy in the final season.

Speaking of Danaerys... ugh. That ending was dreadful. She's really not a good actress.

But a decent episode. It's not a flashy one at all. But doing some interesting donkey work.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I probably enjoyed that more than last week overall. Didn't have the high of the finale last week but was more consistent across the episode. Lots of development across the different arcs and lots of set up. 

Hide contents

Bran's rescue and subsequent reveal was so obvious they needn't have waited half the episode to show it. I also reckon they've pretty much just confirmed the theory that Bran meddles with the past to kick start the entire show - he makes the Mad King mad, his cries of burn them all a are going to be Bran messing in his head either accidentally or an attempt to try to influence him to act against the white walkers before the events of the series start which he monumentally **** up.

Good to see Sam's family and the reveal of another Valyrian steel sword.

And good to see Walder Frey back with a load of stuff dating back 3 series looking to become somewhat important.

Arya's plot is in danger of turning into another Danaerys storyline. We get it writers. She's out for revenge but she has a conscious and morals. She's increasingly becoming an also ran character as the plot moves towards world changing events. The Faceless Men plot is increasingly looking like a holding pattern for her character while they wait for everything to get in place for her to start assassinating characters/having a turn towards mercy in the final season.

Speaking of Danaerys... ugh. That ending was dreadful. She's really not a good actress.

But a decent episode. It's not a flashy one at all. But doing some interesting donkey work.

Wasn't that impressed. Felt like largely nothing happened. Unfortunately a couple of filler episodes after the initial few good ones. Hopefully will pick up shortly. 

Pretty much the same as the rest, bit of a 'meh' episode, not as good as last week, but I think most people who watched will have forgotten about the character who is revealed so maybe that will have more effect on the general viewership.

Glad they got the whole Citadel vs Sparrows crap out of the way for now at least. Jaime's storyline seems to be heading back to where we left him in the books (I expect they'll chuck Bronn in there with him next episode to give his character some purpose and screen time) and since Brienne is heading to Riverrun as well and there was a Brotherhood Without Banners name drop this episode could that mean...

Spoiler

We might get to see Lady Stoneheart after all? Most of us thought Coldhands might get dropped from the show but here he is. Perhaps Stoneheart will get a belated reveal too? Be a bit meh if she did though, I think they've waited too long for it to have the maximum impact.

Edited by Ginko

I'm increasingly fed up with this season. In some storylines there's just too much build up and nothing happens week after week, like Dany, and in others, shit just happens out of nowhere with little explanation or justifications. The pacing is crap.

Benjen just turns up after 6 seasons, he's just been chilling beyond the wall for a few years has he? Couldn't give a toss about Bran, but it looks likely that the stupid little word removed did ruin everything, even stuff before he was born. Fed up of his time travel crap, I'll be cheering when he dies.

The Sparrow/Tommen scene was shite. In a couple of weeks he's gone from asking his mother to help make him a good king, to just giving in to religious propaganda without mentioning it to her? Or is she in on it?

More cringey theatre, but at least Arya is done with that Daredevil martial arts bullshit. I thought this was one of the more promising scenes. Presumably she's going to kill the girl who comes after her, then what? What makes sense for Arya next? She doesn't know of any surviving family, where does she go? It doens't look like she wants to pursue her kill list, after her chat with the actress playing Cersei, so what other motivations does she have?

The Daenaerys scene wasn't great, but I'm glad to see Drogon back though, hopefully she'll finally **** do something and head to Westeros, it's only been 5 years of distractions,

The fat bloke stole a sword. Cool? He's on the other side of the world, what has he got to do with anything at all?

Edited by Davkaus

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The fat bloke stole a sword. Cool? He's on the other side of the world, what has he got to do with anything at all?

Other side of the world to Dany, but he is still on Westeros and not too far from Kingslanding... It was a boring part though.

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Other side of the world to Dany, but he is still on Westeros and not too far from Kingslanding... It was a boring part though.

About as far from the action as he could possibly be while being on the continent though? I'm guessing he's not going to spend another half a season travelling back up north. Where is it even safe to take Gilly and the baby? He spent his whole life at Oldtown then went to the Wall, both places aren't exactly ideal. In the books he goes to the Citadel, but why would he take the sword to head on to the Citadel?

He didn't just steal a sword, he stole a very rare sword made of Valyrian Steel that we learned a while back is the only other material aside from Dragonglass (Obsidian) that can kill the White Walkers.

I'm not sure if Sam stole it for this reason, though I expect he did as I think he is aware of this fact and they need all the weapons they can get (I think they only have a bit of Obsidian and Jon's Longclaw, another Valyrian Steel sword that was given to him by Lord Mormont after Jon saved his life by killing the dead Night's Watch brother who came back as a Wight). I suppose it could also have been an act of defiance towards his dick of a dad, but I think the whereabouts and possession of the Valyrian Steel swords will be very important in the near future.

Brienne also has a Valyrian Steel sword, Oathkeeper, which was one of two swords reforged from Ice, Ned Stark's greatsword that the Lannisters nicked from him when they chopped his head off. It was originally Jaime's but he gave it to Brienne. The other sword forged from Ice is Widow's Wail which was given to Joffrey and is now presumably with Tommen. Littlefinger has a dagger made of the stuff which was the weapon that the assassin who was sent to kill Bran way back in season/book one.

I think the book makes mention of some other noble houses having Valyrian Steel swords too but I'm not sure they'll make it into the show at this point.

Edited by Ginko

Worst episode in a long long time. 

Bran only getting away with 10 dead things folliwing him sucks.
So much wasted screen time it looks with arya and many face god. sucks. Is she even that good at fighting/ doing assasin things? We havent seen anything which is that great from her. (she will be, but i dont think theyve shown it off that much)
Any episode with Sam being the major story sucks.
Dany making the same god dam speech for the 100th time sucks. It was chilling and good the first 1 or 2 times. Now its just super boring. (they nearly went there with the "how many ships we got, whos got that many ships", i was close to quitting if they just named iron islands)

Walder frey being back is good!
Faith vs crown scenes were anti-climatic and sucked a bit but marg is playing them right? So at least that will be interesting in future. Fighting them kills her brother so seems only way to get her bro back

Need bron to come back

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Benjen was a total badass in that episode.

Looking forward to the Blackfish back, and Dany is possibly that worst least interesting character in it. She's like the embodiment of rich white privilege. I inherited some dragons, and I'll going to take back Westeros because it's mine by right.

Spoiler

Also I reckon Cleganebowl is definitely on.

I thought it was interesting during the dinner that they laughed and said that White Walkers don't exist. It's going to be hard to put up much of a fight when the southerners don't believe there's a threat.

He didn't just steal a sword, he stole a very rare sword made of Valyrian Steel that we learned a while back is the only other material aside from Dragonglass 

I got that. I mean, it was subtle and all, with them mentioning it was Valyrian steel almost immediately before, but I spotted it ;) Presumably each and every one of them will count, but with Sam wanting to stick with his wilding, where are they going now? He's surely not taking her back to the wall?

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I thought it was interesting during the dinner that they laughed and said that White Walkers don't exist. It's going to be hard to put up much of a fight when the southerners don't believe there's a threat.

how on earth doesnt every single person in westeros know about them? Surely they would have sent ravens? 

7 minutes ago, gharperr said:

how on earth doesnt every single person in westeros know about them? Surely they would have sent ravens? 

Would you believe it if you read an article that the Loch Ness monster was attacking Scotland?

They're stories told to naughty children, they've not been seen for thousands of years, I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginko said:

He didn't just steal a sword, he stole a very rare sword made of Valyrian Steel that we learned a while back is the only other material aside from Dragonglass (Obsidian) that can kill the White Walkers.

I'm not sure if Sam stole it for this reason, though I expect he did as I think he is aware of this fact and they need all the weapons they can get (I think they only have a bit of Obsidian and Jon's Longclaw, another Valyrian Steel sword that was given to him by Lord Mormont after Jon saved his life by killing the dead Night's Watch brother who came back as a Wight). I suppose it could also have been an act of defiance towards his dick of a dad, but I think the whereabouts and possession of the Valyrian Steel swords will be very important in the near future.

Brienne also has a Valyrian Steel sword, Oathkeeper, which was one of two swords reforged from Ice, Ned Stark's greatsword that the Lannisters nicked from him when they chopped his head off. It was originally Jaime's but he gave it to Brienne. The other sword forged from Ice is Widow's Wail which was given to Joffrey and is now presumably with Tommen. Littlefinger has a dagger made of the stuff which was the weapon that the assassin who was sent to kill Bran way back in season/book one.

I think the book makes mention of some other noble houses having Valyrian Steel swords too but I'm not sure they'll make it into the show at this point.

There's also Dawn but it isn't Valyrian Steel. I wonder if it can kill White Walkers.

Also (Azor Ahai theory)

Spoiler

From Bran's flashbacks, we saw a bloody hand next to a wound. Maybe Ned performed an emergency C section on Lyanna using Dawn? Would fulfill the 'born under a star (paraphrasing) aspect of the prince that was promised prophesy.

Â