Our record against the top 4 this season

Avfc96

It is encouraging that we can get results against the top teams but often struggle against the smaller sides. It shows the ability is there, just the consistency is lacking. That is something that can be fixed. 

It would be far harder to improve if you were a side that was only good enough to beat the crap sides at the bottom. 

Would be interesting to see one that actually included the top 4 as well, we must be ahead of most of them too.

Well they can only play 3 teams instead of 4 and they have to be dropping points to each other one way or another so I think it would be a pretty useless comparison really :P

As I read the inane possession conversation in the Lambert thread, something people should remember is that the teams that have done the best against the top 4 are those who counter well. Tottenham do so poorly because they try to outdo the possession game against clubs that are far better at it than they are. They are tactically inflexible.

Look at the teams that have done the worst again the top 4. Their counter attacks are nonexistent. Our goal shouldn't be to have more possession against those top 4 teams. We obviously have a good formula for that. It should be to improve our possession against weaker teams.

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 2

As I read the inane possession conversation in the Lambert thread, something people should remember is that the teams that have done the best against the top 4 are those who counter well. Tottenham do so poorly because they try to outdo the possession game against clubs that are far better at it than they are. They are tactically inflexible.

Look at the teams that have done the worst again the top 4. Their counter attacks are nonexistent. Our goal shouldn't be to have more possession against those top 4 teams. We obviously have a good formula for that. It should be to improve our possession against weaker teams.

Our possession isn't a problem against the weaker sides as Mantis proved earlier, its what we do with the ball that counts.

Yeah that's what I meant. Make the possession we have against weaker teams count and break them down. If we're able to do that with a bit more consistency and maintain a decent record against higher opponents we should be top half.

Yeah that's what I meant. Make the possession we have against weaker teams count and break them down. If we're able to do that with a bit more consistency and maintain a decent record against higher opponents we should be top half.

We are top half :P

We've got the makings of a decent side. Hopefully this summer will see purchases that'll help us unlock teams who sit back.

As a fellow luddite I have to say I liked the emphasis your presentation of the table in that format gave Avfc96. ;) Interesting stats and it looks like we are odds on to win that particular league!   

Now if only we'd picked up wins against the likes of Fulham, Palace, Swansea..

We had important players out in thoughs games, most importantly Vlaar. It's our biggest problem lack of depth when our big 5 players are unavailable.

Now if only we'd picked up wins against the likes of Fulham, Palace, Swansea..

We had important players out in thoughs games, most importantly Vlaar. It's our biggest problem lack of depth when our big 5 players are unavailable.

In Vlaars case though, the depth is out too.

Â