Missing planes

tonyh29

The debris looks like it is right at the end of the predicted flight path in the southern direction which would backup the theory that it was on autopilot and run out of fuel at max range

How come Australia never picked it up on radar though

Its 2,500 km from Australia though. Don't know if their radar goes out that far.

The debris looks like it is right at the end of the predicted flight path in the southern direction which would backup the theory that it was on autopilot and run out of fuel at max range

Its 2,500 km from Australia though. Don't know if their radar goes out that far.

That's more than 6% of the circumference of the planet. It would need to be on a very tall tower to reach that far.

• Like 1

That's more than 6% of the circumference of the planet. It would need to be on a very tall tower to reach that far.
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-serious-or-sarcastic.jpg Edited by Mr_Dogg

I would say it's because it could happen to us.

We're more likely to get killed by a stampede of wildebeest caused by Elvis hoving in to view riding Shergar.

that's not strictly true though is it

I fly maybe 30 - 40 times a year  ... I go on safari maybe once every few years , I've only been to Memphis once in my life and I ate Shergar in McDonalds way back in 1983

Edited by tonyh29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindalee_Operational_Radar_Network

300px-JORS.svg.png

The radar covers up to 3000km from Australia, radar 2 is covering a large part of the planes predicted southern corridor

The predicted flightpath based on pings may have been a curve so at one point it may have been closer to Australia than where it eventually ended up

Edited by AshVilla

these pings are interesting  ... as one minute they thought it was heading towards Kazakhstan and the next minute they are off the coast of Perth

presumably Mark Thatcher is now the chief suspect  ...

• Like 1

The search area seems so remote can they not send an aircraft carrier?

I know!  Why don't we send a couple of aircraft carriers?

I am under the impression that we actually can.

...just with no planes on them.

But perhaps people would at least appreciate the gesture?

Was talking to an ex copper last night who was telling me how easy it was to 'ping' an individual mobile phone to find an individual. Surely this would be a good option to find any of the bodies/survivors/plane.

politics in a plane crash thread  .. classy :)

says the man mentioning Mark Thatcher :)

as in the most famous person for getting lost after James May and not a politician  :P

Â