Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Jermaine Jones is looking for a new club. He is 33 but we can probably offer him 2 years and he would fix our defensive midfield issues. Plus he brings some experience and he is also free.

He is not very good though is he?

Infact, he is quite poor.

Jermaine Jones is looking for a new club. He is 33 but we can probably offer him 2 years and he would fix our defensive midfield issues. Plus he brings some experience and he is also free.

He's good when he does his job, but he has a tendency to freelance a bit. I will say he's improved since Jurgen Klinsmann took over, though. Not quite as reckless as he used to be.

Are you trolling? I honestly cant tell.

I thought Jones was probably the United States' best player in the World Cup. He'd definitely improve our midfield, not that it is difficult to do so. Why is he looking for a new club though? He only joined Beşiktaş in January.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

He will be 33 in a few months time and he wasn't that good in his prime. His game is based around athletic capabilities, not his great ability with the ball. His legs can't have long left in them.

Is this where we are at now, "he looked good for so and so a few years ago"

Let's sign Morton Gamst Pedersen and Yakubu whilst we are at it.

As for the World Cup thing, DeMarcus Beasley looked decent and he couldn't hack it at Rangers.

I 1st read this as Jermaine Jenas.... Phew

Well, yes.  Have you not been paying attention for the last few seasons?

It is not though. We have took a punt on one of the most technically gifted players of his generation which is fair enough IMO and signed Holt as our other striker snapped his leg.

He is what we lack in the midfield. He brings a physical presence and does not shy away from the ball. Since he is free, I really think this should be a player Lambert looks at. His age is not that relevant. Jones did very well this World Cup. Even if he only have maybe 1-2 years left in him, that is plenty for us. We have youth that is coming through, but we cannot rely on them this early. Every club needs some veterans.

I'd rather have Jones in our midfield than Sylla or Herd.

Oh and he is 32, not 33.

Edited by Czechlad

Don't judge any player on a World Cup alone.

I wasn't, I've known him from his time at Schalke. I was just mentioning his World Cup performances as I assume everyone has been watching it.

It's quality not quantity we need

Then again we probably need to replace half the squad because some are bench players at best and not cut out for prem football week in week out

I don't think we've seen the end of 'outs' this summer. There'll need to be for more 'ins', we're pretty much at maximum squad size. Can see 2 or 3 more leaving, easily. 

Well, yes.  Have you not been paying attention for the last few seasons?

It is not though. We have took a punt on one of the most technically gifted players of his generation which is fair enough IMO and signed Holt as our other striker snapped his leg.

how I miss Salifou :(

It's quality not quantity we need

Then again we probably need to replace half the squad because some are bench players at best and not cut out for prem football week in week out

I don't think we've seen the end of 'outs' this summer. There'll need to be for more 'ins', we're pretty much at maximum squad size. Can see 2 or 3 more leaving, easily. 

I agree and i suspect the departures will be players most of us want to keep.

Ipswich Town defender Aaron Cresswell will complete a move to West Ham by the end of the week.

The 24-year-old was at the Premier League side for a medical on Thursday ahead of a move for a fee exceeding £2m, BBC Radio Suffolk reports.

West Brom and Fulham had also shown an interest in the left-back.

Cresswell, who played 42 Championship games last season, could face his former side as early as 16 July, when Ipswich host the Hammers in a friendly.

He has become a mainstay of the Ipswich side since joining from Tranmere in July 2011, failing to start just eight games and being an ever-present in the 2012-13 campaign.

Tranmere will be due 20% of the fee as part of a sell-on clause.

The lad we seemed to be linked with for 2 or so years.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Clyne :(

• Like 1

I think Vlaar is gone.

I think if anything was in the offing there wouldn't be a story about him every single day on the OS. Doesn't mean it won't happen, his stock will have risen as a result of the exposure he's getting at the WC. Would be a bitter blow for Lambert though - the money would have to be good, mind - even I don't think Lerner would go above Lambert on this.