How would Aston Villa cope with Championship Football?

Tayls

lets not dick around here.. since the "project" started of selling & replacing with basic wages etc.. RL will reap what hes been sowing.

we have been treading water for 4 years,THIS could be the year we go down-FACT. this owner STILL thinks this is "progress" -thats the problem

as fans (we) have backed the team-36k at home games,dont expect the same in championship randy.

how would this team do??? ask BRADFORD OR SHEFFIELD UNITED.. BOTH TEAMS PUT US TO THE SWORD.

Well lets see who have we played over the last couple of seasons.

Bradford, Millwall and Sheff Utd. How did them games go? Yep we would struggle even with this team.

In all fairness I don't think those games are much of a barometer of how we would perform.

• Like 1

I would change club

Sad.

Of course I wouldn`t. To be honest I would be worried, there is no guarantees and the championship can be a lot harder than it looks, you have to win a lot of games and I am not sure we have that kind of mentality in our squad.

• Like 2

I think we should add a poll for this - would we struggle to escape or would we come straight back up.

I think it would be a huge challenge to get out of there in one season. We really would have to try and keep as many players as possible and sign some people who have been there before in that league. Whether or not we should allow Lambert to stay, I don't know, but surely Lerner knew the approach he was taking was a risk and that really, would it be Lamberts fault if we were relegated?

This is the 2,000th thread on the VillaTalk sub forum.

That depresses me greatly.

Yes i don't like this thread but if we were to get relegated and I don't think we will then I would expect us to come straight back up just as we did in the late 80s. We are nowhere near as bad as we were then.

Not that we'd necessarily do what they did, but I wonder how Newcastle fans saw their Championship season panning out in the summer of 2009?

Well the three teams that just came up are still championship sides really and we have played them 4 times now, failed to score in 3 of them games and the other took a late freekick to open the deadlock.

Actually, they're Premier League sides. Not very good ones (although Hull are doing alright) but Premier League sides none the less.

Edited by Mantis

Looking at the Premier League table at the moment, there are about five clubs way, way ahead of everyone else, about five decent clubs and the entire bottom half of the table is just a load of rubbish, no difference in quality with the top eight of the Championship. So I'd just expect us to slot into that league, as the current squad stands (minus Benteke, Vlaar) and just float around mid table, maybe give a play-off place a push, but without adding experienced players that know the league we wouldn't have the backbone or mental strength to mount a challenge for automatic promotion.

Of course, parachute payments would give us an advantage over other clubs for a few years but we'd have to spend wisely and I'm not sure our board/manager are particularly capable of doing that. 

Not an option.

This. Its imply not an option, if we were to go down i'd really fear for us turning into another leeds. Big club but just staying in the championship for a number of years.

If we survive this year the club need to recognise we wont scrape by every year and eventually it will catch up to us like it did wigan  and the summer would have to see us spend premierleague money on premierleague quality players.

Not an option.

This. Its imply not an option, if we were to go down i'd really fear for us turning into another leeds. Big club but just staying in the championship for a number of years.

If we survive this year the club need to recognise we wont scrape by every year and eventually it will catch up to us like it did wigan  and the summer would have to see us spend premierleague money on premierleague quality players.

Oh NO. Aston Villa, a PL club, needs to spend money on PL quality players. The horror.

Wake up Lambert

Our benefit is our really good coaching facilities. We would be able to bring through good young players (which can't quite cut it at Premiership level but can easily do a good job in the Championship). Our wage bill isn't out of control and we have no debts. We wouldn't "do a Leeds", but I think it would take us a couple of years to come back up.

Â