How would Aston Villa cope with Championship Football?

Tayls

At least it'd be competitive and interesting in Championship............. the Premier League is sleep enducing............ Same Old Same Old !!

Exactly,

as it stands rarely can i bare to go and watch us at Villa Park as it's just soul destroying to see how awful we are even against lower league teams. My last couple of visits have been against Palace & Liverpool and the atmosphere has been like a hospital waiting room,  i havn't even see us score a flipping goal for goodness sake!! what a complete waste of money.

Clearly staying up would be preferable so long as we strengthened properly in the summer but if we do go down which to me is 50/50 then i do actually think we would have a very good chance of coming straight back in a season or two. It would be a little bit like West Ham when they get relegated but nothing like a Leeds...

We have already been through our Leeds scenario and managed to stay up during it.

If we do go this year then i think the club has already bottomed out and would already be in a position to rebuild anyway... because that's where we are at already. Only difference would be quality of player we could attract & who would stay/go but the wages are already very low regardless especially when Hutton, Given, Bent etc go off the books which is due to happen anyway.

Thing is that would almost be an ideal situation anyway as the rebuild would surely then be about adding some players who could get us out of the Championship rather than getting in 2 or 3 quality Premiership players which by all account is the current plan for the Summer according to what we have been told. So just a different type of player really.

The surgery has been done and now it's a case of healing the wound and hoping we don't get complications (relegation). If we did it would set back our recovery yes but i strongly believe the club would recover quite quickly regardless and come back much stronger for the experience... Maybe would give Mr Lerner the Jolt required too!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

We'd be the new Leeds.

We don't have the financial troubles that Leeds had though.

Well no but our finances aren't great or atleast what we spend isnt and it doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't be like leeds just because we don't have the debt they did.

We'd be the new Leeds.

We don't have the financial troubles that Leeds had though.

Well no but our finances aren't great or atleast what we spend isnt and it doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't be like leeds just because we don't have the debt they did.

Nobody is saying coming back up would be easy or likely but Leeds is a pretty extreme example that isn't likely to be replicated with us.

It's currently being proven that you can't run a Premiership club by remote control from the USA, so single handedly running a Championship team from behind the settee somewhere on Long Island would be just as problematical. The hapless Paul Faulkner would have to get out the lower league almanacs just to come up with something to say to Randy during his daily phone call.

I wouldnt say its extreme, big or decent sized club goes down and doesnt return for years or at all. Plenty of examples of that in recent memory.

Yes it is extreme. Lots of fairly big clubs have gone down but not many in the manner that Leeds did.

I wouldnt say its extreme, big or decent sized club goes down and doesnt return for years or at all. Plenty of examples of that in recent memory.

Yes it is extreme. Lots of fairly big clubs have gone down but not many in the manner that Leeds did.

Whilst Leeds debt was extreme, a lot of clubs that have gone down have struggled financially. Forest, Derby, Coventry,Leicester even the likes of Southampton and Wolves. All these clubs were expected to bounce straight back up from relegation, but the longer they stayed down the harder it was to come up and the more debts increased.

• Like 1

Whilst Leeds debt was extreme, a lot of clubs that have gone down have struggled financially. Forest, Derby, Coventry,Leicester even the likes of Southampton and Wolves. All these clubs were expected to bounce straight back up from relegation, but the longer they stayed down the harder it was to come up and the more debts increased.

I'm not saying we'd bounce straight back or that we wouldn't struggle, just that it's unlikely we'd "do a Leeds" because of their financial troubles, which were one of the main reasons why they went down in the first place. As poor as we are sometimes and as much as people go on about how shit we are I don't for a second believe we'd drop down to League 1.

I think we'd piss it to be honest. Our young players would cut it at that level and the best players outside of the prem would jump at the chance to play for us.

Gabby would probably score a shit load at that level. Look how players like Jason Roberts have done at that level.

If we went down I just hope Lambert is sacked. If we go down I want to be able to fully be behind the team and I just couldn't be if he was still manager.

I think we'd piss it to be honest. Our young players would cut it at that level and the best players outside of the prem would jump at the chance to play for us.

Gabby would probably score a shit load at that level. Look how players like Jason Roberts have done at that level.

If we went down I just hope Lambert is sacked. If we go down I want to be able to fully be behind the team and I just couldn't be if he was still manager.

You can't get behind the team while Lambert is manager? Why not? You don't have to get behind the manager.

I agree that Lambert should be sacked if we go down, but only because I wouldn't have much faith in him bringing us back up.

Can't believe Gabby would stay. Apart from anything, he's paid too much for the Championship. He'd either have to voluntarily take an enormous pay cut (unlikely) or move on (likely). Delph is the same. 

That said, I don't disagree with your general point, we probably would do pretty well at Championship level. Certainly think we'd be more like Newcastle and less like Leeds, if those are the options. 

You can't get behind the team while Lambert is manager? Why not? You don't have to get behind the manager.

I agree that Lambert should be sacked if we go down, but only because I wouldn't have much faith in him bringing us back up.

I already don't rate him so why would i want him around if he relegates us.

I'd just want a clean start to get fully behind who came in.

I already don't rate him so why would i want him around if he relegates us.

I'd just want a clean start to get fully behind who came in.

I wasn't asking why you wouldn't want him around, that much is pretty obvious, I just would've thought you'd want him gone because you didn't think he was a good manager. You don't have to get behind the manager to get behind the team.

Â