How would Aston Villa cope with Championship Football?

Tayls

I think we'd struggle too, once our decimated squad (the present one) was decimated further.

It would be a kick in the balls of monumental proportions. and akin to the dark years of the late 60s early 70s.

But hey, it hasn't happened yet so chin up everyone.

Been there and done it a couple of times. But I had hoped it would never ever happen again!

It took us a season to return when we were relegated in 1986/87 with Graham Taylor at the helm but when we went down in 1966/67 we spent 8 long seasons out of the top flight and 2 of those were spent in Division 3. 

If we went down we would lose the likes of Vlaar and Benteke as well as those players like Gabby and Guzan who might be prepared to risk a season or at least half of one to try to get us back up where we belong because I suspect the club would want rid of them as their wages would be too high given the club would want to cut costs even more than they have done already should the R word come to pass.

I guess we just have to look at Wolves, Small Heath, Leeds, Forest and Derby to see what the future might hold for us and it looks a very long way off a "bright future" to me.   

• Like 1

Every decent player we have now must surely have a relegation clause, meaning we'd be left with a skeleton of an already lowly group of players.

Being a big name club, we'd probably have our pick of all the players from clubs relegated to Division 1. Which wouldn't be saying much.

I fear we would become the next Sheffield Wednesday.

It's a tough league, but I think villa are set up to do well. Guys like lowton and Bennett would actually get to show their attacking quality without being exploited like top class wingers. Assuming gabby and Weimann stayed, they'd both be very good options at striker, and that's not even factoring in helenius grealish Gardner and carruthers, who all have the potential to do well and grow as players at that level. Even albrighton would be a decent player as a starter. It would be very bad, but villa might be one of the few clubs that have an enjoyable year down there and bounce straight back up.

And, I mean, grant holt....

Edited by Rovers13

We could quite easily do a Leeds

What?

In that we could go further down than the championship and then struggle to get back up. Leeds are historically a big club and still get a decent crowd. That could easily be us if we went down

That is simplifying Leeds's situation massively.

Well we are playing championship style of football.  We would fit right in with no real change in tactics needed,  for once we are ahead of the game so to speak.

With the low wages in place and no plans to increase Villa Park (as promised) coupled with the style of football and general slow death of the club from the outside I could see how it looks like that's where we are actually planning on going. 

It would be a disaster but that's obvious but the disasters have been going on season after season,  decade after decade.  Just smaller ones with less immediate impact and less headline worthy.

I was having a clear up last week in the house,  I found the little A2 sized wallet (Claret colour) from when Lerner took over.

A little postcard fell out,  big letters.... "We plan to challenge for an play in the Champions League every season" 

Never mind list of players saying good enough,   not good enough,  needs time etc.  Waste of time,  there are maybe 10 % of a squad worth keeping IMO.  The shirt,  the ground,  the history the badge and the fans together were AVFC.  All gone,  all I do is sit and watch it week after week slowly getting worse.  It's not fun,  waiting for the goals to go in against us.  On Sunday I paused the game live just as the ball flew up in the penalty box.  I knew it,  you all knew it that Newcastle were going to score.  Newcastle,  they are in crisis,  wtf are we in then ? 

Dunno if it's my age,  (42) but this is not going anywhere near how it should.  There is no one party to blame for this,  collectively they are just a pantomime of a football club that is a hall of mirrors reflection of what we used to be.

Rant Over.

A few ridiculous posts on here, we are four points from the drop.

Lol

So the teams in the championship are better than the ones in the premiership. Ha ha

Well, we've struggled against the teams who were promoted last year. We got knocked out the cup by a teem TWO league lower than us....

Â