How would Aston Villa cope with Championship Football?

Tayls

I said a season or two ago that there was more chance of us playing in League 1 in the next 10 years than there was of playing Champions League football. I am quite fearful of our immediate future and having tasted relegation in 1987, I hope that we can pull through yet again.

Sooner or later, the trap door opens - Coventry and Charlton and Wigan... survived for several seasons and then down they went.

You know... I can't help feeling a bit of guilty karma here. Back when we were all jizzing over Small Heath getting relegated with that 'going up, they're going down' chant - remarkably catchy and humourous though it was... seems to be coming back to haunt us... Remember what happened when we took the piss out of Newcastle... Next game against them, we got royally dicked 6-0.

I have to hope that should we go down we would make a sustained attempt at coming straight back up. But it's a very tough league for a plethora of reasons... not least being the increased number of games, the 'cup final' factor of everyone playing the 'mighty' Villa etc. There are no guarentees. And every season out of the Premier League makes it that more difficult for us to have that 'bright future.' I bet Lerner rues the day he ever endorsed that buzz line. It certainly makes me cringe now...

Up the Villa... always.

I don't think I'd be too bothered anymore to be honest. I am so tired of doing nothing in the premier league and there being no hope of ever doing so without striking it rich. With the amount of money I spend on it I think I'd just prefer to seeing some competitive football and having a few quality days out.

• Like 3

Don't think it would be quite as clear cut as many are making out. Naturally I'd hate us to go down but we could come back up if things were done properly. We would have a massive advantage over most other teams but whether or not we'd capitalise on that remains to be seen. Equally we could end up stuck there like other clubs have done before although I think the people saying we'd do a Leeds and go all the way down to League 1 are overreacting a bit.

I wouldn't bet on it either way if we did go down.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Don't think it would be quite as clear cut as many are making out. Naturally I'd hate us to go down but we could come back up if things were done properly. We would have a massive advantage over most other teams but whether or not we'd capitalise on that remains to be seen. Equally we could end up stuck there like other clubs have done before although I think the people saying we'd do a Leeds and go all the way down to League 1 are overreacting a bit.

I wouldn't bet on it either way if we did go down.

Leeds is a bit of a strange example I guess given that their fall was more about actually going bust, which isn't what is happening at Villa. I think the Leeds example is a trifle clouded. League 1 slippage - better examples are Southampton and Forest I guess.

But the biggest one for me, Manchester City. How did a club that 'big' end up in the third tier?

Interesting concept, but Saints and Citeh, two examples of taking a dip before coming back better - and with two different sets of objectives and outcomes. I guess Newcastle to a degree... So, whilst it would be horrible, it might not be the end of the world. For me, I would prefer to stay in the big league (and no, that's not lowered expectations or hyperbole).

As Harry Enfield's Tory Boy so eloquently put it...

"It's better to be on the train, pissing out... than on the Platform, trying to piss in..."

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 2

For me we would have to do a bit of  surgery on the current crop although this would be done naturally to a point anyway as all the best players would want out. Benteke & Vlaar and Nzogbia would naturally be straight out the door you would think which is a shame as they are the few players who would have the physicality to cope in that league. Alan Hutton would continue to be shiipped out too.

As for the rest i don't actually see how we would shift them anyway as most are Championship standard anyway so we could ironically fall on our feet at that level.

The wages are already levelled out and i could see a squad like this

Guzan/

Lowton/Bacuna

Okore/ ?????

Clarke/Baker

Bennett/Luna

Albrighton/Gardner

Westwood/

El Amahdi/

Weimann/Carruthers/Kozac

Gabby (May well stay)/Helenius

So the team is almost already there which kind of highlights why we are struggling at Prem level.. the only ones i can see moving on from that lot due to interest from Prem teams are maybe

Westwood

Okore (although he surely owes us at least 1 year)

Benteke

Gabby

Guzan

I think Tonev, Hutton, Nzog would also depart although Tonev may get a chance at Championship level for a season before being moved on.

We would need to sign some muscle though as that squad, Gabby, Guzan and Okore if he stayed aside, is very lightweight for the Championship surely?

Overall when you look at it though the basics are already in place, the wage structure would be low enough already with Hutton & one or two others leaving so i do think we'd have a good chance of coming straight back up... Also Lambert is already aware of that division having brought Norwich up from there which is a huge bonus too.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Imagine how late you have to stay up aswell on Saturday nights for highlights with munish and Steve claridge

About ten minutes by my reckoning. We'd go from last on MOTD to first on Football League Show, at least initially, until realised that 'big club' or not, we're painfully boring to watch. 

• Like 4

I don't think I'd be too bothered anymore to be honest. I am so tired of doing nothing in the premier league and there being no hope of ever doing so without striking it rich. With the amount of money I spend on it I think I'd just prefer to seeing some competitive football and having a few quality days out.

that's the plus side of going down

ticket prices for home games would come down a tad and away games would be slightly cheaper although some teams would hike them up for the big clubs like villa and leeds. don't see us going down this season but it will happen unless something is done quick. if we were doing well and we were decent enough to watch we would average over 30k I think. if things were going bad it could be around 25k. its one hell of a league to get out and Newcastle were very lucky they got out so quick

We'd get absolutely smashed to pieces every week and come around 16th first season.

After that, who knows.

Every championship side I've watched this year would beat us comfortably, they'd pass us to death.

I do not think we should be worrying just yet about relegation to make threads on the subject. All I can say, it would be a humbling experience for a lot of our younger fans. But as a club I am confident we would cope in that division IF we should drop down.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

For me we would have to do a bit of  surgery on the current crop although this would be done naturally to a point anyway as all the best players would want out. Benteke & Vlaar and Nzogbia would naturally be straight out the door you would think which is a shame as they are the few players who would have the physicality to cope in that league. Alan Hutton would continue to be shiipped out too.

As for the rest i don't actually see how we would shift them anyway as most are Championship standard anyway so we could ironically fall on our feet at that level.

The wages are already levelled out and i could see a squad like this

Guzan/

Lowton/Bacuna

Okore/ ?????

Clarke/Baker

Bennett/Luna

Albrighton/Gardner

Westwood/

El Amahdi/

Weimann/Carruthers/Kozac

Gabby (May well stay)/Helenius

So the team is almost already there which kind of highlights why we are struggling at Prem level.. the only ones i can see moving on from that lot due to interest from Prem teams are maybe

Westwood

Okore (although he surely owes us at least 1 year)

Benteke

Gabby

Guzan

I think Tonev, Hutton, Nzog would also depart although Tonev may get a chance at Championship level for a season before being moved on.

We would need to sign some muscle though as that squad, Gabby, Guzan and Okore if he stayed aside, is very lightweight for the Championship surely?

Overall when you look at it though the basics are already in place, the wage structure would be low enough already with Hutton & one or two others leaving so i do think we'd have a good chance of coming straight back up... Also Lambert is already aware of that division having brought Norwich up from there which is a huge bonus too.

Can't actually see Gabby going anywhere if we go down. He's at a significant point in his career. He is a couple of seasons/one serious injury off losing his pace. After that, you have to ask if he has an awful lot else to offer?

Â