Where has the progress gone?

foreveryoung

Can someone answer the question above. We had as good as a full strength team out today and the tactics, player form was baffling. Surely its down to the coaching, I mean this team should be pushing on now from the form we showed from the end of last season begining of this. Im just purely shocked how poor we are looking lately, like everything we have learnt has disappeared. Where is the form of Benteke, Gabby, Wiemann gone. Lambert and his coaching staff are the only people who can improve this team and at the moment im seeing nothing. First half today was ok, second half everyone seemed half arsed why is this, whats involved in a Lambert team talk?????

Why should we progress? The tactic is to lower costs, make money and stay in the division. We still have a decent chance to doing this so job done. By the way go and renew you season ticket because as fans we are addicts and can't go anywhere else.  Last year was both awful and some slight positivity in the final third. This year has been a more even dull mediocrity about it all. I don't know if this is progress or not. We will probably just about stay up and maybe have a few more points than last year but still light years from even a top 8 placement.

Bit of an over reaction.

We have stood still while shedding more high earners.

The only place we have progressed is off the pitch, but the season isn't over yet, its February.

But those high earners were not part of the team anyway so why is that an excuse for standing still.

Last year was the second worst in our premiership history so standing still after adding to the squad is an abysmal achievement.

Sorry R.I.C.O I have an unfashionable view the way things are and I would like my club to be around in another 100 years.

We earn more money than the majority of the league. We should never be in a position where we are worried about survival in the league or financially. The fact we have to worry about both shows how truly awful the man you continue to defend has done.

Bit of an over reaction.

We have stood still while shedding more high earners.

The only place we have progressed is off the pitch, but the season isn't over yet, its February.

Yeah that Holte Pub will look great when Brentford come rolling in to town.

On the plus point, we are already good at scouting lower league players.

.....are we ?

You are very benevolent with credit.

• Like 1

My support for Lambert is really beginning to wane now. I do wonder, though, how this season would have gone had Okore remained fit. Maybe it's silly to think a single player could make that much difference, but the defence has been a major weakness this season.

Sorry R.I.C.O I have an unfashionable view the way things are and I would like my club to be around in another 100 years.

We earn more money than the majority of the league. We should never be in a position where we are worried about survival in the league or financially. The fact we have to worry about both shows how truly awful the man you continue to defend has done.

Aren't villa right in the middle of the league money wise?

progress = stagnation

We might have improved a little, others have improved more. It is no wonder the little improvements we have made, seem to make little impact. It's like we have improved 5% and other teams 8-10%, basically we have fallen behind even if we have improved on last season. The bigger problem right now is Benteke, the man who saved us 12 months ago looks half the player.

If only we had done enough to keep pace with the improvement of others, that creative midfielder, that creative winger... The fact we didn't think we needed it or thought we could rely on others being worse is telling. It could be costly come May too.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 2

My support for Lambert is really beginning to wane now. I do wonder, though, how this season would have gone had Okore remained fit. Maybe it's silly to think a single player could make that much difference, but the defence has been a major weakness this season.

Our defence has been ok this season. It's going forward we have problems

There will be no progress with the Lambert/Lerner **** show. 

Lerner is an absent, disinterested owner who won't give his manager the funds to compete.

Lambert is an inept, clueless, pathetically out-of-his-depth manager who will do his master's bidding so he gets a nice payoff.

Its a self-fulfilling prophecy that will see us relegated.

Top post mate, saved me the bother of writing pretty much the same.

Aren't villa right in the middle of the league money wise?

Thought we were 9th last time the figures were released. Either way we should never be in a position where we are worried about surviving in the league or financially.

In effect we are a little more solid as a unit.....But only if Vlaar plays.

But we have lost our threat going forwards as Weimann & Benteke are like two different players from last season or maybe the way we have adapted defensively has been at the cost of those two being less effective maybe?

So basically the only improvement i can see overall is we have a better goal difference as we have largely eliminated the 8-0 & 0-4 humiliations. 

Otherwise we are surely worse to watch as a team with no real benefit on points gained whatsoever. As for our home form well that is so unwatchable i can't even bare to go to home games anymore... Went up against Palace last time and well erm.. lets just say i've not wasted my money since.

We concede way less goals.

Bacuna looks like a smart acquisition, an if we can keep ahold of Bertrand that could work too.

Injuries to Okore and Kozak have really hurt our potential for moving forward - I honestly think we're missing Kozak, Benteke's form being what it is.

We've not progressed much, but for what it's worth I think next season is where Lambert really needs to prove himself. This season was always gonna be a bit of a struggle, and finishing somewhere between 12-14th would be where I was expecting us at the start of the year.

Whatever the reason for our predicament, I think it's time we stopped, looking, laughing or pointing at other teams and realise what a bloody joke our club is fast becoming.

I tend to agree but maybe clutching at straws is all we have now.

• Like 1

Sorry have to disagree with you there. Our defence has been largely ok as long as Vlaar is fit. 27 goals in 27 matches suggest that goals is a major problem with none of our strikers having as good as season as last year. Plus our midfield outside of Bacuna (more of a defender) have stumped up about 3 goals. Not good enough.

Â