Where has the progress gone?

foreveryoung

Sorry R.I.C.O I have an unfashionable view the way things are and I would like my club to be around in another 100 years.

We earn more money than the majority of the league. We should never be in a position where we are worried about survival in the league or financially. The fact we have to worry about both shows how truly awful the man you continue to defend has done.
Aren't villa right in the middle of the league money wise?
Thought we were 9th last time the figures were released. Either way we should never be in a position where we are worried about surviving in the league or financially.

Sounds about right, 8-11 are pretty close if I remember correctly. Which puts villa... Pretty much in the middle

Right in the middle of the money league along with the majority of the league who earn the same amount give or take a few million as the vast majority of the money comes from TV rights.

Wasn't my point anyway and I don't want to argue as this is just going to be a bitch fest for the next week regardless.

• Like 1

Sorry R.I.C.O I have an unfashionable view the way things are and I would like my club to be around in another 100 years.

We earn more money than the majority of the league. We should never be in a position where we are worried about survival in the league or financially. The fact we have to worry about both shows how truly awful the man you continue to defend has done.
Thought we were 9th last time the figures were released. Either way we should never be in a position where we are worried about surviving in the league or financially.
Sounds about right, 8-11 are pretty close if I remember correctly. Which puts villa... Pretty much in the middle

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Oh in answer to the question, there has been no progress. If anything we are going backwards.

I kind of agree and disagree. How do I put it?

We've been racing other cars, we sat around and fiddled with the engine to gain an extra few % of horsepower, other cars have tried to get as much out of their car as possible - including buying the parts they need - and not the parts they could get for the cheapest.

Simply put, whilst we have improved, we have also fallen behind.

• Like 2

Bit of an over reaction.

We have stood still while shedding more high earners.

The only place we have progressed is off the pitch, but the season isn't over yet, its February.

Unfortunately, standing still while you are knee-deep in sh*t is not such a great thing.

The only improvement may be the defence. But with Lamberts limited tactical ability, we have obviously sacrificed the attack. We cant seem to get a genuine goal now, they are non existent, something that's going to have to change or else we will go down!

I would be happy going back to shipping goals but scoring more than them. Works for Liverplop!

Something's wrong.

Manager? Players? Owner? Cutlure?

**** knows. But something at the club needs to change. And it has to be this summer.

i agree the whole culture has to be changed in terms of how we play. The is a reason why we don't win many games, firstly that we support or few good players with complete dross. More worringly for me is our desire to try and play games by touching the ball as little as possiable, Southampton we won the game with hardly an possession. I know that stats like that can look misleading but lets be honest how many teams win games with such minimal possession, that result was a freak i would say. We need to gain and keep better possession and that comes from all through the team. Also another worrying trend i have noticed which i think has been with us since the MON era is if we are winning drop so deep the midfield drops right onto our defence. So as a result any ball cleared by are defence goes back over our midfields head and drops back with the oppoisition midfield and they attack again. We do the inevitable and at some point crack under the pressure and concede and all the players look forlorn becuase we ahve conceded despite it beign inevitable.  

• Like 1

The problem with this club is clearly complex, and much of it is probably rooted in economy - both our own and that of our rivals in the PL.

1. Quality of players. We can't afford very good players. This has led us into having to fight to avoid relegation. This again affects the type of football we play, as players are less confident, buckle to some degree under the pressure, can't play relaxed, and hence can't perform at their best. Supporters start booing and it's all just a very bad spiral.

2. Tactic. I think Lambert has understood what the rest of us has understood; that our front three (when on form) represents the only consistent attacking threat we can offer. But our playing approach is so direct that our central midfield never get the "feel" of the game. If you don't routinely build play through your midfield they will eventually not look for poisitons, make the runs etc. And when they suddenly have the ball they will outside their comfort zone. Very bad habits form. Which makes it even worse as our defence-midfield link gets very Westwoodificated and predictable.

What we need is a manager who has the courage to let his players play with creativity and freedom. If these group of players are not good enough to do that now, they will only get worse playing like we are now. 

Oh in answer to the question, there has been no progress. If anything we are going backwards.

I kind of agree and disagree. How do I put it?

We've been racing other cars, we sat around and fiddled with the engine to gain an extra few % of horsepower, other cars have tried to get as much out of their car as possible - including buying the parts they need - and not the parts they could get for the cheapest.

Simply put, whilst we have improved, we have also fallen behind.

Yes it is a relative decline. Revenues have probably gone up but other clubs are moving forward quicker. One example I would give is West Ham. About 15 years ago they were playing in a fairly bog standard 25,000 stadium. In a few years time they will be in a 60,000 stadium they got for nothing. Man City soon to be 62,000 a owner that gives out free money.  Newcastle's support shot up in the late 90s and by and large has stayed there at over 45,000 each home game. Villa Park was bigger than Highbury by the end but the Emirates is over 20,000 seats bigger. I could go on. I don't know what the answer is other than hoping that we get sold to another even richer sugar daddy.

Where has the progress gone?

The title of this thread asks this question.

For something to go it has to be there in the first place and as we have not progressed in the last 4 seasons I find the question rather pointless.

Something's wrong.

**** knows. But something at the club needs to change. And it has to be this summer.

i agree the whole culture has to be changed in terms of how we play. The is a reason why we don't win many games, firstly that we support or few good players with complete dross. More worringly for me is our desire to try and play games by touching the ball as little as possiable, Southampton we won the game with hardly an possession. I know that stats like that can look misleading but lets be honest how many teams win games with such minimal possession, that result was a freak i would say. We need to gain and keep better possession and that comes from all through the team. Also another worrying trend i have noticed which i think has been with us since the MON era is if we are winning drop so deep the midfield drops right onto our defence. So as a result any ball cleared by are defence goes back over our midfields head and drops back with the oppoisition midfield and they attack again. We do the inevitable and at some point crack under the pressure and concede and all the players look forlorn becuase we ahve conceded despite it beign inevitable.  

I have said that for ages and when the opposition get a corner its everybody back when a Villa player clears it comes straight back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Pointless thing to do if we have players up field then the opposition will not be able to put it straight back again!!  You do wonder just what the coaches with these players on a daily basis???

You said more money than the majority of clubs. Really not true.

Something's wrong.

I have said that for ages and when the opposition get a corner its everybody back when a Villa player clears it comes straight back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Pointless thing to do if we have players up field then the opposition will not be able to put it straight back again!!  You do wonder just what the coaches with these players on a daily basis???

corners??? Have you seen the throw ins. What is Lambert coaching, I've seen better Sunday morning!

• Like 1

the simple fact of the matter is that if we had benteke performing like he did in the second half of last season, we'd be a completely different proposition in terms of confidence, results and relative comfort in the league than where we are....

his performances last season not only gave us the goals that we needed to get the points, but it gave the players (particularly those around him) the confidence to think we could go out and score goals... that finishing and confidence in front of goal is what we are missing now...

look at the newcastle game, look at the cardiff game after mark came on - we are getting the chances, we just don't look like we're going to score... you wouldn't back any of our front three to score at the moment, despite the opportunities that they are being presented... and thats the difference...

on the plus side, our defence with concrete on the pitch is certainly better - until the final five minutes on sunday, our defence did enough for us to have won the game, or at worst, not lost it...

delph has also been great this season, so i think that is progress also.... ciaran and nathan have progressed, even if they aren't as good as some would like, and bertrand is fine.... guzan has been a very safe pair of hands again this season....

You said more money than the majority of clubs. Really not true.

The last set of figures showed us in 9th. That means more than the majority of clubs. What's not true about that?

Something's wrong.

Something's wrong.

corners??? Have you seen the throw ins. What is Lambert coaching, I've seen better Sunday morning!

Yes i have have and they are abysmal, no movement and its noted that no one really wants the ball!!!  I remember when they used to throw it to a Villa player then they wacked it down the pitch, attack on straight away!!!!!

Does that mean that we are 10th (with Celtic being probably above us) in terms of revenue in the whole of the UK?

And we are pottering about near 16th place?

Shame Lerner. Shame Lambert. Shame Faulkner. Shame current administration.

In terms of our current best team:

GK - Same

RB - Same (Bacuna, for me, is no better than Lowton at his peak last season)

LB - Improved

CB's - Same

CM's - Regressed. Although Westwood and Delph are doing OK, El Ahmadi and Sylla are worse.

FW - Regressed. Benteke nowhere near as good. Weimann nowhere near as good. Gabby - same.

So, yeah, we've regressed. Only area of the pitch we've improved on in at LB with Bertrand coming in. 

Â