Kiev Burning

maqroll

Yeah, there are a good amount of neo-Nazis in a new government that is far from ideal. The situation is far more complex inside Ukraine, and it isn't fair on the people (most of which protested for a more democratic system, not fascists) that they have effectively become pawns in a much bigger game between Washington and Moscow. I worry that, yet again, the average person will be shafted by external forces, and will be left in a situation that was not of their choosing.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I'm amused by the sudden crises of conscience these women had about drawing paychecks from a Kremlin propaganda network. 

I would say that these women must be under huge personal pressure but being a cynic I am sure that their new-found ethics will be rewarded with a job somewhere else.

• Like 1

Shaun Walker has just been at a press conference by Rustam Temirgaliev, the Crimean vice premier who first gave news of the imminent referendum on union with Russia, and it seems the Crimean government is taking an even tougher line than expected.

The 16 March referendum is being held, Temirgaliev said, purely to ratify the decision of the Crimean parliament to join the Russian Federation, and the parliament has appealed to Russia to assist with this. He said that Crimea was effectively Russian immediately:

"From today, as Crimea is part of the Russian Federation the only legal forces here are troops of the Russian Federation, and any troops of the third country will be considered to be armed groups with all the associated consequences."

The assumption is, Shaun adds, that this is being done with the full approval, even encouragement, of Russia, though it remains to be seen in Putin might use this to show his supposed moderation by refusing to act as decisively as the Crimean MPs wish.

grauniad

• 2 weeks later...

John Simpson (talking about the 'sanctions' inposed on the Beeb):

"It's never a good idea to seem weak to Mr Putin. He does like to jump on it if so." (That may not be verbatim - it's from my poor memory - but I think the message is clear).

Edited by snowychap

poll vote sounds like the falklanders one last year, though the crimeans found a few more volunteers to go naw this time. 

can't see any fun resolution here :/

It reminds me a lot of the Northern Ireland situation which has played such a big part of our history for the last hundred or so years.   The bang is probably going to be a lot louder when it does go off in Crimea, but the comparisons between Russia and Great Britain are there for all to be seen. 

There are quite a few people on Twitter making the entirely valid comparison between this and Israel, and noting that Israeli occupation of foreign territory and multiple murder of civilians has led to not a peep from the US, big, bold defenders of "freedom".

• Like 1

There are quite a few people on Twitter making the entirely valid comparison between this and Israel, and noting that Israeli occupation of foreign territory and multiple murder of civilians has led to not a peep from the US, big, bold defenders of "freedom".

The comparison between this and Israel how, Peter?

Israeli occupation of lands with a majority population who are neither Israeli nor wishing to be Israeli?

Edited by snowychap

Someone in this thread already made the correct comparison: Sudetenland.

I don't understand why there always has to be a specific comparisons. There are similarities to the Sudetenland, but there are also a lot of differences. This is a complicated diplomatic situation, different from others.

grauniad

Why do people spell it like this?

Back when they were the Manchester Guardian printing the papers with typesetters apparently they frequently got letters jumbled leading to spelling mistakes like 'Grauniad' instead of Guardian. Well that's the explanation I have seen anyway. 

• Like 1

Â