The Boring Thread

Spoony

The heating element that heats the water tank for the corner bath in our en suite packed up yesterday. Had to have a bath in the main bathroom (which runs directly off the boiler). 

Gonna swap out the element tonight hopefully.

I thought it had snowed last night because when I looked out of the bathroom window this morning it looked all white.

Turns out I was looking at the van parked across the road.

It did not snow.

What do you actually see with gaydar?

I've had tin foil wrapped around it for the last 6 years but I suspect that's been a waste of my time and nobody else's.

At least I've stopped it prematurely browning.

68-television-detector.jpg

I had a go at that multi tasking yesterday that all the wimmin go on about.

My task that I set myself was to simultaneously tape an album whilst grouting some tiles. At first it went horribly wrong. The grout was in powdered form and a puff of it went up in the air when I put the bag down too close to the stereo. This lead to much panic. Then, the software was spotting gaps in the music it presumed meant one track had ended and another started, resulting in 5 tracks being split in to 7 separate tracks.

But then it all kind of came together Karmically. 

I tried to find out where the recording had gone wrong, so I started re playing the album and also playing the laptop. The instant result was the same track played twice, but one version just slightly behind the other, no more than a second or so.

It was spaced out awesome. So awesome I briefly thought perhaps I'd invented a thing. Then I decided I probably hadn't.

But I played the whole album that way. Played it right through with the doubled up dreamy echo effect. It was so good, I briefly forgot I was stood on a kitchen worktop and did a little backwards shuffle dance. If my foot hadn't snagged on some masking tape I'd have carried on and keeled off backwards over the end of the breakfast bar.

What fun.

They aren't really a thing in the UK. I put it down to a lot of houses being built near rivers/in floodplains, and a basement would just be a bad idea.

I've known one guy with a basement, and he lived way out in the country, far from any river and up a hill.

We had a basement in our last house, a Victorian terrace in Leeds. It wasn't near a river though. Our current house is an Edwardian semidetatched, and doesn't have a cellar, despite also not being near a river. It is nearer to a river than the last house, but still not very near. About half a mile, I'd say. Maybe three quarters of a mile.

They aren't really a thing in the UK. I put it down to a lot of houses being built near rivers/in floodplains, and a basement would just be a bad idea.

I've known one guy with a basement, and he lived way out in the country, far from any river and up a hill.

We had a basement in our last house, a Victorian terrace in Leeds. It wasn't near a river though. Our current house is an Edwardian semidetatched, and doesn't have a cellar, despite also not being near a river. It is nearer to a river than the last house, but still not very near. About half a mile, I'd say. Maybe three quarters of a mile.

Is that in a straight line? You say between a half and three quarters of a mile. But if that is walking around corners or circumnavigating a block of housing that could make all the difference one way or the other.

You can see the sea from my house. But it's quite high up, so flooding is a minimal concern. I estimate that if we are flooded then we've lost approximately 80% / 85% of the UK domestic housing total and I wouldn't be expecting the insurers to deal with me very quickly.

I'm back at work after 2 weeks paternity leave..

feels bad man . jay peg. :(

Today!? Ruddy hell, that's gone quick!
Paddy, he's now 73 and we're technically dead.. that's how long it's been! [emoji20]

Move to Sweden, you get the best part of a year.

Paddy, he's now 73 and we're technically dead.. that's how long it's been! [emoji20]
Yea i know [emoji4] amazing policy over in most of the scandinavian countries.

480 days to split between the parents per child. 60 days are earmarked for each parent and can't be split.

It's pretty sweet even though the payment ceiling is a bit below what most people earn so it's not a completely all you can eat bufffé

480 days to split between the parents per child. 60 days are earmarked for each parent and can't be split.

It's pretty sweet even though the payment ceiling is a bit below what most people earn so it's not a completely all you can eat bufffé

Better than what I got, which was;

1 week government standard paternity pay of £134.

1 week (5 working days) of my 25 day annual entitlement.

So to have a kid, it's cost me a weeks holiday (it's only January!) and a wedge of cash (which I'd have used to go on holiday with, ironically).

Stupid, shit system.

But, better than what my old man got when me and my brother were born (2 days for each of us).

• 5 months later...
Â