• Albrighton (for Vlaar 70)
  2. 2. Managers tactics

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Can someone clear up, 

I listened to the 2nd half on the radio (having watched the 1st half on a stream) and it sounded like we missed a few chances at the end.

Watched MOTD and besides Albrighton's relatively long range effort and Benteke's goaline-cleared chance I saw no evidence of the "sitters" Radio WM banged on about.

Were the radio commentators over exaggerating? Or did MOTD just not bother to show such presumably key highlights? It sounded like Albrighton should have been slated for his misser according to the radio :S but it didn't seem that bad on MOTD...hardly a 'sitter'. Loved the MOTD "Villa got lucky with the offside" comment, literally minutes after Suarez's equivalent was declared as a "good decision".

Anyway...my match rating and review...rating: excitement = 8, tactics = 7, opposition = 4,relief 10^9999, MOTM Gabby.

Can someone clear up, 

I listened to the 2nd half on the radio (having watched the 1st half on a stream) and it sounded like we missed a few chances at the end.

Watched MOTD and besides Albrighton's relatively long range effort and Benteke's goaline-cleared chance I saw no evidence of the "sitters" Radio WM banged on about.

Were the radio commentators over exaggerating? Or did MOTD just not bother to show such presumably key highlights? It sounded like Albrighton should have been slated for his misser according to the radio :S but it didn't seem that bad on MOTD...hardly a 'sitter'. Loved the MOTD "Villa got lucky with the offside" comment, literally minutes after Suarez's equivalent was declared as a "good decision".

Anyway...my match rating and review...rating: excitement = 8, tactics = 7, opposition = 4,relief 10^9999, MOTM Gabby.

MOTD chose not to show about a third of our chances. their 'analysis' for the offside was hilarious, too. hamann: "he's onside". cue a graphic being put up that clearly shows their man was offside. typical MOTD.

Benteke had one cleared off the line. Gabby was a last ditch tackle away from a 1v1 with the keeper. Albrighton missed a 1v1. Delph miserably skied it after being teed up at the edge of the box with no one marking him.

The score line was flattering to sunderland.

The opening credits of MOTD too and that bloody RVP goal against us. Again, good goal but he's offside and it shouldn't have stood.

That really winds me up. Goal of the season as well and lauded as the goal that won Man Utd the title. Yet people conveniently ignore that it was offside as all 3 of his goals were that night because it doesn't suit the headline makers.

Lowton's goal was way better too. 

• Like 1

from what i can remember MOTD didnt show -

gabby on the last defender, slowed him down, then did him then had his shot blocked by a great last ditch tackle

albrighton missing a great 1v1 after us stringing 20+ passes together

delph missing from the edge of the area in about the 94th minute when we had 3v2 on the counter, he had all the time in the world and blazed it over

sure we also had some poor shots from delph and albrighton which werent worth showing but they showed the shit giaccherini shot for them

they had all the possession but created very little, fletcher chance and the offside goal other than that i dont remember anything other than high wide and ugly efforts from 30 yards out

• Like 1

I thought their goal was onside. I subscribe to the 'daylight' interpretation, and the benefit should always go with the attacking team.

So for me, he was onside, and we got away with it.

sorry but you are wrong. The rule clearly states any part of the Head, body or feet is nearer to the goaline than the 2nd last defender including goalkeepr, so he was offside.

PaulC, you are correct. 

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/27/interpretation_law11_en.pdf

No "daylight" interpretation in the rules.  The benefit of the doubt argument applies to advising the AR in the moment.  It does not apply to armchair decisions made over dozens of slow-motion replays from multiple angles and stopped on different frames. 

Clearly, the AR felt that he had no doubt the attacker was in an offside position at the moment the ball was last played by a teammate (otherwise he knows to leave the flag down).  The extensive reviews show he was right... just.

Full credit to the players and manager for getting the result we needed and deserved. Although we are in a rough place at the moment it was vital to grind out a win. Vlaar gives so much confidence to the defence, hopefully he can stay injury-free for the rest of the season. Lambert gets a vote of confidence from me, lets see who he picks up this month and where we are at the end of the season.

Â