The Thread of Dreams

Spoony

I've had dreams about my gran who passed away a few years ago. But I've also been visited by my gran in my sleep. I can tell the difference between just a dream and when she actually visits me. The first time it happend was unreal

I feel like this has been somewhat neglected... :blink:

I get Night Terrors a lot where I wake up but my body can't move and I experience strange hallucinations usually auditory sometimes also have the sensation of moving around the room, feels as real as anything and often really terrifying, at first I wondered what was going on, thought I was having a schizophrenic episode or wondered if poltergeists are real after all :)

That's the sort of thing I've been having recently. I 'wake up' but I'm kind of aware that I'm not really awake but it feels as if I am (hard to explain). The other night I had this and I could see a police officer in full riot gear but with a completely hidden face in my bedroom looking ready to strike me but also backing away very slowly and I sat up and was convinced it can't be real so I shut my eyes a few times and opened them and it was still there. Genuinely the most terrified I have ever been. I actually took my pillow and threw it across the room at it to see if it would go through it and it did and then it disappeared. About 4am but that was the end of sleep that night!

I've never actually seen anything, that's something I'd dread, one of the most common visual hallucinations during night terrors is meant to be an old woman, 'old hag syndrome' I think it's called. I've had the feeling of being swung around the room, my head changing shape, hearing people whispering in my ears in the most terrifying voices, loud thuds on each of the four walls recently I had one where I could hear someone running up a steel staircase outside the house, the rhythm of the clangs sounded like they were running with a real purpose. I can sometimes sense when It's going to happen before I fall sleep, my technique to prevent it is to put earphones in and have some quiet music playing really low, usually William Basinski, don't know why that works though.

The dreams I have when I'm hungover are completely terrifying.  Say I've been out on the Friday and Saturday; on the Sunday night when I'm drying out I just expect to have nightmares.  It's gotten to the stage where I can actually start to control them albeit for only a few seconds (dream time).

I don't know whether that's supposed to be a compliment or an insult! 

Haha I know yeah I don't think I thought it through, it was supposed to be a mildly entertaining joke but it could be taken a few ways. Plus the comparison with myself raises the uncertainty further :(

I did a thread on this a few years back but I basically dream a whole different life to the point where im not sure if some of the events are real ... One dream was over the course of weeks where I went out with this girl , met her parents ( dad was a vicar) she drove a red VW golf , we had dinner a few times , spoke to her on the phone numerous times.... Sadly the relationship sorta petered out as I didn't call her

I dreamt the whole thing but a small part of me isn't sure that it wasn't real , the detail is so real ...

I had this really crazy dream one time that I was convinced was real. It seemed like it went on for a year and in it loads of people died, including the love of my life.

When I woke up I was really confused and went into the en suite where I heard water running and there was my husband Bobby, alive and well!

The dreams I have when I'm hungover are completely terrifying.  Say I've been out on the Friday and Saturday; on the Sunday night when I'm drying out I just expect to have nightmares.  It's gotten to the stage where I can actually start to control them albeit for only a few seconds (dream time).

I never dream when I'm hungover. I hit the pillow and might as well have died. It's like blinking.

I've mentioned this a few times in similar threads on here, IIRC. I have throughout my life had snippets of very 'real' dreams that subsequently happen and give me quite incredible deja vu. They are always small, usually pretty mundane moments, which on waking up I'll recall but slowly lose them as time goes on. I'll then have the 'moment' I dreamt happen, a few weeks or months later.

It used to happen more when I was kid, but every once in a while I still have it happen. The example I always think of happened when I was at school - I dreamt of a few seconds of my walk home. It was incredibly vivid, I can remember tiny details about it all, right down to the way I was walking, the way I was looking, how I felt at that moment. I was walking along a road, just before I turned a corner on my route, there was a yellow car parked up on my left and bloke walking towards me on my right, who looks at me as he walks past. And thats it. 5, 10 seconds of a walk home. It was so real it struck me and I remembered it as I woke up. A couple of months later, on my walk home, heading towards the corner onto the main road of my route, I walked past the same yellow car, and the same man walked past me and glanced at me as he passed. The strange thing was I get a feeling of knowing whats about to happen when I stumble on the moment, and then get immense deja vu after.

As said, it happened more when I was younger, stopped almost entirely when I was at uni, and now happens every once in a while. Most recently I had it happen where I recalled an argument - in the dream I could feel the anger/sorrow at having the argument in chest, and then it came to pass, just that one moment of an argument. I've also had it recall a moment at work recently where a mistake had been made (not my own, but someone in my team) and I recalled the tight feeling anxiety as I carried on my own tasks as my boss and a couple of colleagues discussed it going on around me.

It's very odd. I've always wondered what it was and all I've ever come to is that it's my brain running through moments that may happen in my every day life and sometimes one sticks in the memory for it's clarity and, eventually, it happens.

On the more normal side of things, I've had recurring themes numerous times - I've had a variation of theme where I'm travelling through some nightmarish land with friends in a car, we stop at a services and I get left behind and get stranded and try to catch up and end up lost. And I've also had numerous dreams where I get stabbed in the stomach - these have been so vivid I've jerked awake before now.

Glitches in the matrix.

Happened a few times when I was a kid too. Once I had a conversation with me da about something or other while he was crouched down buttoning my coat. I suddenly recalled the exact conversation and exact scene from a dream I had a few weeks previous, even down to the sun light flitered through a wooden fence in the garden and the angle at which I stood in the room.

I put it down to life being pretty mundane and repetitive and I know that I go through an infinite amount of random every day scenarios in my head when I'm awake nevermind asleep. That one random event out of a million actually happens is logical enough.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I hate it when you wake up from a dream and it can be any type a dream. And your as solid as a rock down below, but then your gagging for a piss but you can't shift your hard on

It's more confusing when you wake up from a nightmare with one

Â