Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

There is no excuse for the lack of shots on target today. Money is not an excuse.

If you are building a squad for 40m, you are not going to get the best players out there.

If it was only that simple.

Since we have appointed O'Neill.....we have spent, how many millions.

You can't simply isolate the 40 million alone.

So in isolation how is money the the problem,?We should have a decent squad by now. With all the experienced managers we have had, you would think they could buy players

We have an assembly of rubbish.....created wholly and solely by successive managers.

• Like 1

Lambert still gets the rest of this season and the start of next. The next 2 transfer windows are massive. He must be backed. We can't keep bringing in £2-3 million players. Spurs spent more on 1 players than the whole of our squad cost. We need quality not quantity, we have squad players playing in our 1st 11.

• Like 1

The media have done a number on Lambert.

It seems to me so far:

Mark Regan has an interview with Lambert. Asks leading questions about the importance of the FA cup

Lambert had just had his 2nd choice CF who was hitting form out for the season with a broken leg. Feels a bit down and lets his guard drop. Gives honest answer.

Media jump on honest answer and sensationalise it.

AVFC go into damage limitation mode, Brian Doogan rings Mark Regan and has a massive go.

Mark Regan is then very pissed off with AVFC so then decides to keep banging on about it to stick the knife in.

Apparently Regan apologised to Lambert for the question and said it wasn't his intention to start this.

regans "apology" is just that he is sorry he got grief for being such an awful journalist.

"

@theblarneyinfo I said I regretted asking it because what has happened to me since has been needless. No apology needed, I was doing my job.

@Stay_Classy1976 @craiglilly7 Not at all. Any journalist would have run that story. I have no grudge.

I regret asking the question of PL coz it resulted in my work being butchered as well as 3 ludicrous calls from the #avfc press officer.

"

oh and the kicker

"@Maradona_AVFC10 I'm at #wba today so can't ask him."

hardly surprising he wants to be there to support his team.

• Like 1

There is no excuse for the lack of shots on target today. Money is not an excuse.

If you are building a squad for 40m, you are not going to get the best players out there.

If it was only that simple.

Since we have appointed O'Neill.....we have spent, how many millions.

You can't simply isolate the 40 million alone.

So in isolation how is money the the problem,?We should have a decent squad by now. With all the experienced managers we have had, you would think they could buy players

We have an assembly of rubbish.....created wholly and solely by successive managers.

We had a decent squad, we had to get rid of them!

Lambert hasnt been backed with huge amounts of funds granted, but the players he has bought are down to him along with our tactics and style of play. All of which havent been good enough.

Our style of play over the last 2-3 months has been dreadful and no different some of the shit Mcleish served up.

Tactically and technically the team are very poor. No off the ball movement, terrible ball retention, woeful set plays etc etc.

Lambert and his coaching staff have to take some responsibility for this as the team will play how they are coached and we havent been good enough in any area.

i still dont get it, we're sitting in 11th and struggling to stay there, we arent trying in the cups anymore

so tell me what the **** point of complying with this FFP bullshit is? we arent qualifying for europe anytime soon, spend some money FFS get us top half, we'll have cleared out bent / given / nzogbia / hutton freeing up some more cash and then we can push from there, this scraping by flirting with relegation until we get rid of them and then investing is a complete waste of time

Because we are in a situation where the owner wants to recoup as much as possible before selling, his mistakes have become a burden, but his reward will be a healthy profit, as for the team? We won't compete for years now.
He will never get a profit. I suspect that if he could get his loss below £50m then he would probably cut and run.

But to do that he needs to find the next Carson Yeung

I feel your pain, I too question Lerner's judgement, so can see why you might feel he would **** up his next decision too - a new owner.
He won't have much choice, as I can't imagine that there will be a long queue.

His worst decision was buying the club in the first place. Give me Abramovic riches tomorrow and I wouldn't touch the Villa eith a bargepole.

I would, but I would make sure there are football people below me to make the decisions and that any plan that I set out, has a fall back, and that any manager I appoint is part of that plan.

And Boohoo for Lerner, awful judgement a lot it seems.

Ah, those mythical 'football people' .

What is a 'football person'?

Not Martin O'Neill, clearly.

Like these mythical bad chairman who will come in next.
Oh there's plenty of bad chairmen, to varying degrees, so no myths there.

But I repeat the question. What is a 'football person'?

So have these bad chairman made a bid for us then? You seem to have the ultimate answer and apparently they will be our next owner. Care to offer proof?

So now let me get this right.

It's the board's fault for giving him *only* £40m.

It's the fans fault because they complain at dire home form.

It's the players fault because they can't be bothered after getting pay rises.

But not Lambert.

Alternatively, it's a bit more nuanced than that.

It's partly the board's fault for giving him only £40m to rebuild an entire squad but with only tiny wages.

It's slightly the fans' fault because the home fans are, let's be honest, pretty shit.

It's partly the players' fault because they're not good enough to get us where we think we should be, but currently aren't

It _is_ partly Lambert's fault for getting some stuff wrong, but just to highlight it for balance, for also getting a very limited squad (who he built while being hamstrung by wages and lows transfer fees) to 11th in the Premier League, albeit with effective rather than aesthetically pleasing football.

No way should we sack Lambert!!

I think (and I know many of you will disagree) we have a decent squad of players. What we do need is 3 or 4 first team premier league quality players added to the team. Right now I would personally say Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby & Benteke are quality premier league players. We desperately need 3 or 4 more this transfer window and we will be fine.

We've had loads of injury set backs this season - Gabby, Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, N'Zogbia, Kozak (6 of our better players).

I keep thinking a subs bench like: Steer, Okore, Clark, Westwood, KEA, Weimann, Kozak isn't all that bad.

A starting 11 of Guzan, Lowton, New CB, Vlaar, Luna, New Mid, N'Zogbia, Delph, New Mid, Benteke, Gabby isn't all that bad!?!

i still dont get it, we're sitting in 11th and struggling to stay there, we arent trying in the cups anymore

so tell me what the **** point of complying with this FFP bullshit is? we arent qualifying for europe anytime soon, spend some money FFS get us top half, we'll have cleared out bent / given / nzogbia / hutton freeing up some more cash and then we can push from there, this scraping by flirting with relegation until we get rid of them and then investing is a complete waste of time

Because we are in a situation where the owner wants to recoup as much as possible before selling, his mistakes have become a burden, but his reward will be a healthy profit, as for the team? We won't compete for years now.
He will never get a profit. I suspect that if he could get his loss below £50m then he would probably cut and run.

But to do that he needs to find the next Carson Yeung

I feel your pain, I too question Lerner's judgement, so can see why you might feel he would **** up his next decision too - a new owner.
He won't have much choice, as I can't imagine that there will be a long queue.

His worst decision was buying the club in the first place. Give me Abramovic riches tomorrow and I wouldn't touch the Villa eith a bargepole.

I would, but I would make sure there are football people below me to make the decisions and that any plan that I set out, has a fall back, and that any manager I appoint is part of that plan.

And Boohoo for Lerner, awful judgement a lot it seems.

Ah, those mythical 'football people' .

What is a 'football person'?

Not Martin O'Neill, clearly.

Apparently the people Lerner cleared out were well respected in the game.

Which people? Names please?

Steve Stride for one I think.

Unfortunately WM is desperately trying to parody TalkShite, which has transformed Paul Franks, formerly a decent broadcaster, into a complete clearing in the woods. Regan and his other mates are just as idiotic.

And they used to be quite a decent sports broadcasting station.

I think (and I know many of you will disagree) we have a decent squad of players. What we do need is 3 or 4 first team premier league quality players added to the team. Right now I would personally say Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby & Benteke are quality premier league players. We desperately need 3 or 4 more this transfer window and we will be fine.

We've had loads of injury set backs this season - Gabby, Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, N'Zogbia, Kozak (6 of our better players).

I keep thinking a subs bench like: Steer, Okore, Clark, Westwood, KEA, Weimann, Kozak isn't all that bad.

A starting 11 of Guzan, Lowton, New CB, Vlaar, Luna, New Mid, N'Zogbia, Delph, New Mid, Benteke, Gabby isn't all that bad!?!

Agree with this. Lambert has bought players that are squad players, sadly this is what low wages and low transfer dees gets you in the prem. I personally don't see how he's had any other option.

Here is the problem, it is ok building a team on the cheap - and a decent/refreshing idea - but if it fails, you are ****. You are left with a group of players who are below average.

It is also ok doing this in league 2/1, you build slowly and get better as you go along, but doing this in the top league is suicide, it is a massive chance that means 90% of the buys have to come off, if it was that easy, Man City wouldn't have spent £20 on Rodwell, or £15m on SInclar, they would just buy from the lower leagues.

We have been short changed, we gave the plan a chance because we were fair, but on reflection there are reasons why it has never been tried before.

It took a cost cutter like Lerner to think it could, when FOOTBALL MEN knew it wouldn't.

It might come as a bit of a shock but there have been one or two posters who have been saying this for some considerable time and on occasion ridiculed for it.

• Like 1

So if the squad is decent then why aren't we playing well? That comes down to Paul Lambert. 

I keep hearing that he has only been given 40 mil but how do we know for sure that there is not more money in the kitty but it's lambert who is reluctant to spend it ala Wenger

Because what possible advantage would it give Lambert to spend less than he's allowed?

Martin O'Neill got us to 3 consecutive 6th place finishes. That's now on his CV. He's **** us up with wages in the process but no-one else sees that. The same with Harry everywhere he's been. Managers always want as much as the owners will give them. If the owners give them too much that's their lookout, not the manager's.

Heres £5mil

Go & buy us creativity on £10k a week

Easy isn't it?

Easy? No.

But trying would have been better than buying a limited back up striker.

We seem to be interested in Hoolahan for £1.5 million so i don't think for a second it was impossible to bring in someone better than we currently have for the money and wages paid for kozak.

Maybe then we wouldn't be playing some of the worst football in the league.

Here is the problem, it is ok building a team on the cheap - and a decent/refreshing idea - but if it fails, you are ****. You are left with a group of players who are below average.

It is also ok doing this in league 2/1, you build slowly and get better as you go along, but doing this in the top league is suicide, it is a massive chance that means 90% of the buys have to come off, if it was that easy, Man City wouldn't have spent £20 on Rodwell, or £15m on SInclar, they would just buy from the lower leagues.

We have been short changed, we gave the plan a chance because we were fair, but on reflection there are reasons why it has never been tried before.

It took a cost cutter like Lerner to think it could, when FOOTBALL MEN knew it wouldn't.

It might come as a bit of a shock but there have been one or two posters who have been saying this for some considerable time and on occasion ridiculed for it.

DK, it could have worked buying better players. For example Jiloan Hamad is way better then Alexander Tonev. Hamad would help us right now.

The window has only been open 4 days... jeez.

This problem was apparent during the last window.

He signed 7 players and sold 8!

@Imarsha_926

It's down to tactics. Lambert hasn't got a clue how to break down a team that sits back, and parks the bus, He talks about the lack of creativity in the teams, and sadly it's starts inside his head.

Lambert hasn't got the PLAYERS to break down a team that sits back. If we have the same problem next season then it is a serious issue. Right now Lambert deserves the time to try to correct this.

He isn't going to when he doesn't bother to sign any.

I disagree with the fact he doesn't have the players, and more the fact he doesn't know how to use them.

There are a number of different tactics he could use, but he is either too stubborn, or unwilling to change.

Enlighten us as to how to do this?

I could send you a number of pattern's of play I have on my computer, that I believe would help us with the present players we have. Mine though would require Lambert letting the players try, and pass the ball around, and not just lump it up field to Benteke.

In the end though it's about being patient, and giving up ground. Drawing teams into our half field, breaking quickly with short sharp passing. The players are capable of doing this as they showed against Sunderland, but it's doesn't seem to me Lambert encourages it. Lambert, as I have gone through UEFA coaching licenses, and if he paid attention they go through many 11v11 practices, with triggers in them, that release players into certain areas.

Lambert from what I have seen wishes to focus on the big man up front. The standard lump up field isn't working, and he needs to go back to his coaching manual, and see what he needs to improve it.