Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

We wont finish anywhere near 11th so why does a temporary stint there make everything ok?

To be fair we could finish 11th and as they say, the table never lies.

However, for me there is a lot more evidence to suggest that we'll be hovering around the foot of the table rather than where we are now.

I think the only way Aston Villa can become a great club again is investing in a great manager.

To do that you have to to him with funds.....that's what great managers, manage with.

Just forget the dream.

• Like 1

Sack him and get a proper coach him.This team is embarrassing in their lack of coaching.No overlapping FBs, no movement off the ball, no support for the player with the ball, no "triangles", or "3rd man running".

Personally i'd have Hoddle every time, but anyone who can coach players properly would do me.

I agree with much of what you are saying but I wouldn't sack Lambert. I'd give him the rest of the season as a minimum especially if he is backed to a degree during this window. His hands have been tied to a degree with what he has been allowed to spend on mostly bargain basement players.

I also doubt whether some of the players have the capacity to take on board a lot of the basics you quite rightly point out.

His stupid comments to the press about the FA Cup have come back and bit him on the arse. If the cup isn't a big deal then play the fringe players so we can actually see what they can offer. Don't play most of your strongest 11 then get beat at home to a league 1 team. The man is absolutely clueless.

That's what O'Neill did in Moscow and got condemned for it....one of the few things he got right in my book.....because the first team would have lost too.

I think the only way Aston Villa can become a great club again is investing in a great manager.

To do that you have to to him with funds.....that's what great managers, manage with.

Just forget the dream.

Agree. I've put a question out there and nobody has answered. Name me a good manager who hasn't had money to spend? Which Lambert hasn't had by the way.

Indeed people so short sighted with us being 11th in the league.  False position if ever there was one. After the next 2 games we'll see if we are still 11th.

Look at the bigger picture it's grim, very grim.

Edited by supernova26

We wont finish anywhere near 11th so why does a temporary stint there make everything ok?

I'm inclined to agree with this. Unless we make 2 or 3 very good signings in January - experienced proven quality performers at the top level, then I can't see us finishing anywhere near 11th.

For me our league position is papering over the cracks and is a false position. We have secured at least 3 or 4 very fortunate wins that on another day should and would have gone the other way. It does get said that the league table doesn't lie but that is bollocks. It does. You only have to look back to Houllier's season in charge to prove that.  We served up negative crap for most of it and somehow finished 9th.

I have backed Lambert on here but stopped deluding myself a couple of weeks ago. This is not good enough. I could continue to kid myself that we are 11th and will be fine but what I am witnessing on the pitch week in week out is telling me that something is very wrong. For me we are the worst team to watch in the Premier League and to say that about the club I love hurts.

I am not fussed either way if we sack him as whoever is in charge is going to need major funds to rebuild this squad as the vast majority of the players are not good enough. I just don't see Lerner supplying the funds necessary to rebuild the squad and if he does sack Lambert I would very much doubt he is capable of finding a decent replacement. What a sad and sorry state for a club as great as Aston Villa to be in.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Even if Lambert does go, do you really think funds will be there to spend? Lerner will keep the manager, we are a budget team and he wants to keep it that way.

Yes, that is why I wouldn't get rid.

That said, on paper we had a far superior squad today. I've always been of the opinion that Lambert is doing an ok job in the league with the squad he has but he seems to have an inability to beat lower league sides with worse squads than our own.

This will take you back to the old debate of performance v result.

When you opt for result with no respect for performance this is what your buying in to.

We do not possess the skills as a team to impose ourselves...in fact you could argue the lower half of the prem is no better equipped skill wise than the championship teams.

Until somebody is prepared to increase our skill level.....we are sure as eggs are eggs going nowhere.

You can use all the reasons/excuses in the world.....it ain't working.

I have seen work in progress in my life as a villa fan......this ain't it.

• Like 1

Just forget the dream.

Agree. I've put a question out there and nobody has answered. Name me a good manager who hasn't had money to spend? Which Lambert hasn't had by the way.

Yep. Managers come and go all the time with increasing frequency and it's always the same old story, initial surge, maybe a season while their players are still scared of them.

The ones who do well are without exception the ones who are allowed to ride out the dip and go back into stability. Moyes, Ferguson, Martinez. Moyes and Ferguson were kept on because they were around in a time when you could get away with a poor season or 2. Martinez because Wigan have such low expectations.

It seems that everyone is doomed to fail now unless their clubs have the foresight to stick with them through the bleak days and the fans' unrest. 

Indeed people so short sighted with us being 11th in the league.  False position if ever there was one. After the next 2 games we'll see if we are still 11th.

Look at the bigger picture it's grim, very grim.

rubbish!!! we've played half the season thus every team once so 11th is a fair reflection of us. Being short sighted is viewing our position over the next two games against two of the best teams around, so we should be viewed at the end of the season should be the next time we really see our position. otherwise you are weighting our position after playing the bigger teams more, which while it suits your argument is not a fair reflection or as you put it a false position.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Unless we make 2 or 3 very good signings in January - experienced proven quality performers at the top level, then I can't see us finishing anywhere near 11th.

For me our league position is papering over the cracks and is a false position. We have secured at least 3 or 4 very fortunate wins that on another day should and would have gone the other way. It does get said that the league table doesn't lie but that is bollocks. It does. You only have to look back to Houllier's season in charge to prove that.  We served up negative crap for most of it and somehow finished 9th.

I have backed Lambert on here but stopped deluding myself a couple of weeks ago. This is not good enough. I could continue to kid myself that we are 11th and will be fine but what I am witnessing on the pitch week in week out is telling me that something is very wrong. For me we are the worst team to watch in the Premier League and to say that about the club I love hurts.

I am not fussed either way if we sack him as whoever is in charge is going to need major funds to rebuild this squad as the vast majority of the players are not good enough. I just don't see Lerner supplying the funds necessary to rebuild the squad and if he does sack Lambert I would very much doubt he is capable of finding a decent replacement. What a sad and sorry state for a club as great as Aston Villa to be in.

Good post mark, as usual

I'm very much in your camp..am reluctant on one hand to call it a day on him, but am drifting inevitably to that conclusion.

The home record alone is enough for the club to part company.....but it won't happen, because there are no resources to fix it..I.e with a manger fit to manage aston villa....we are between a "rock and a hard place."

I am starting to think Lambert has pressed the "Bollocks" button...I think, he thinks, quietly to himself, this is untenable.

I'm not sure, where we go from here and I'm not sure if I would give him any of our valuable money.

It's a **** mess.

i still dont get it, we're sitting in 11th and struggling to stay there, we arent trying in the cups anymore

so tell me what the **** point of complying with this FFP bullshit is? we arent qualifying for europe anytime soon, spend some money FFS get us top half, we'll have cleared out bent / given / nzogbia / hutton freeing up some more cash and then we can push from there, this scraping by flirting with relegation until we get rid of them and then investing is a complete waste of time

Or another slant I keep wondering about is, Lambert isn't especially bothered about the team playing poorly because he's then got more bargaining power with Lerner. Lerner's far more likely to authorise higher wages and release more funds for transfers when looking down the barrel of a gun.

i still dont get it, we're sitting in 11th and struggling to stay there, we arent trying in the cups anymore

so tell me what the **** point of complying with this FFP bullshit is? we arent qualifying for europe anytime soon, spend some money FFS get us top half, we'll have cleared out bent / given / nzogbia / hutton freeing up some more cash and then we can push from there, this scraping by flirting with relegation until we get rid of them and then investing is a complete waste of time

Because we are in a situation where the owner wants to recoup as much as possible before selling, his mistakes have become a burden, but his reward will be a healthy profit, as for the team? We won't compete for years now.

Right- "work in progress" = Getting rid of the bomb squad & operating under a more manageable wage structure.

We can't realistically expect more than that without investment. The top 10 all spend more on players than we do & pay bigger wages.

How much further do people expect us to travel under the present remit?

Or another slant I keep wondering about is, Lambert isn't especially bothered about the team playing poorly because he's then got more bargaining power with Lerner. Lerner's far more likely to authorise higher wages and release more funds for transfers when looking down the barrel of a gun.

Didn't work last January if so.

Lambert hasnt been backed with huge amounts of funds granted, but the players he has bought are down to him along with our tactics and style of play. All of which havent been good enough.

Our style of play over the last 2-3 months has been dreadful and no different some of the shit Mcleish served up.

Tactically and technically the team are very poor. No off the ball movement, terrible ball retention, woeful set plays etc etc.

Lambert and his coaching staff have to take some responsibility for this as the team will play how they are coached and we havent been good enough in any area.