Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

I posted this in the match thread, but I'll it it here too.

I just don't understand his tactics.

They have 2 big, immobile CB's. I hardly watch Sheffield United and I know Harry Maguire is a beast in the air but slow as anything. The SU fans all say that's why he probably won't become a top CB. So, why do we just play long balls up? We have the capacity to pass and move so why don't we? Surely this would have been the perfect game to knock the ball about and regain some confidence.

Baffling.

Because they actually can't play any other way, regardless of the competition?

Must be something that happens on the training groud, coupled with the quality of the players.

I've been pro Lambert a long time.

But to field a weakened team, in one of the few things we could compete in, is just waving a white flag of surrender. We all know and understand we won't win the league again until something major changes -ie the oil wells run dry and or Abrahmovich is assasinated after a fall out with Putin, but as a one off, the cup gives us something to play for every year.  If we're not even going to bother, then whats the point,seriously? Might as well sell the ground, move to a green field in the middle of nowhere and bank the proceeds and live off the interest, if its now only about money.

And a decent run in the cup might have earned enough to buy a decent bloody player or two.

Sorry Paul, today you lost me.

We didn't field a weakened team - that's probably the worst thing about it.

• Like 1

We desperately need 2 midfielders and a CB. But i'm worried that Lambert will have us playing the same shit football even with a better squad. I really have no idea who could come in and improve things but there has to be someone out there. Teams likes Spurs and Palace have changed managers recently and they have improved. I would expect us to as well.

There is no excuse for the lack of shots on target today. Money is not an excuse.

If you are building a squad for 40m, you are not going to get the best players out there.

No. But he's bought internationals, U21 internationals and players from leagues above where Sheffield United. Are you honestly saying that a team made up of £40m of 'talent' shouldn't be able to beat Sheffield United, or manage more than two shots on target? Come on!!! It's not an excuse this time round, not at all.

These players should be able to beat Sheffield United, these players are not performing and these players are letting the manager and the fans down. No effort from many of them and a lot seem to run at half the speed, the main striker looks awful and there is a lack of commitment from players who showed at the end of last season they can do it, they get big pay rises and are now settled knowing they do not have to perform.

They need some quality around them to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and they need players brought in who will make sure these lazy brats are not so settled about being in the team.

They need a good shake up.

So the manager should take no responsibility for it? Being the man who has brought them in. The man who is supposed to motivate them (I'm sure is sound bytes this week helped with that!). He's the one that decided they deserved, and would cope with the pay rises. He needs to take responsibility and he's made the decisions.

I've been pro Lambert a long time.

But to field a weakened team, in one of the few things we could compete in, is just waving a white flag of surrender. We all know and understand we won't win the league again until something major changes -ie the oil wells run dry and or Abrahmovich is assasinated after a fall out with Putin, but as a one off, the cup gives us something to play for every year.  If we're not even going to bother, then whats the point,seriously? Might as well sell the ground, move to a green field in the middle of nowhere and bank the proceeds and live off the interest, if its now only about money.

And a decent run in the cup might have earned enough to buy a decent bloody player or two.

Sorry Paul, today you lost me.

It was a strong team and I think that's the biggest problem.

Had a weakend team lost then there would be that get-out clause, but his 'big guns' barring Gabby lost out there today.

There is no excuse for the lack of shots on target today. Money is not an excuse.

To quote yourself...

Should have had a hat trick today.

Reverted to Benteskey - the player we saw in his first few games. He's crap and shouldn't be starting.

Is it only Lambert's fault that Benteke missed his chances?  

It's his fault he played the useless tosser

It's the job of the manager to get players motivated and get their heads straight. It just can't be only the fault of the players that they don't/can't take any kind of responsibility on the pitch. Sure we do lack experience but that just an excuse for the players being scared shitless.

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 1

The players are more at fault here than the manager. I don't care how bad the team selection is or the tactics. The worst selection should beat Sheff Utd. Lambert should be given time to sort out the players. I think calls for sacking the manager are premature and once again just another massive overreaction to a result.

• Like 1

I posted this in the match thread, but I'll it it here too.

I just don't understand his tactics.

They have 2 big, immobile CB's. I hardly watch Sheffield United and I know Harry Maguire is a beast in the air but slow as anything. The SU fans all say that's why he probably won't become a top CB. So, why do we just play long balls up? We have the capacity to pass and move so why don't we? Surely this would have been the perfect game to knock the ball about and regain some confidence.

Baffling.

That's very worrying.

We desperately need 2 midfielders and a CB. But i'm worried that Lambert will have us playing the same shit football even with a better squad. I really have no idea who could come in and improve things but there has to be someone out there. Teams likes Spurs and Palace have changed managers recently and they have improved. I would expect us to as well.

A new manager wouldn't be able to fill the gaps - mainly a defender, defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder - as I do not think he would get the funds, so we would have the same team and the same players, the ones who are the problem.

To quote yourself...

Reverted to Benteskey - the player we saw in his first few games. He's crap and shouldn't be starting.

So Benteke is a "useless tosser" now is he?

Did we play poorly tough? Or did we play well but wastefull infront of goal?

Did we play poorly?, Did you not listen to it ?

Obviously I wouldn't have asked the question if I did would I? Jesus....

to be honest i'd have thought the answer was **** obvious. jesus indeed

we've just been knocked out the cup by a team 18th in DivisIon THREE

From looking through the match thread during the game I picked up that we had a possession around 80%, Benteke and Weimann missed quite a few sitters and that their first goal was a deflection off Clark. So it didn't neceserially mean it was a poor performance. Upsets and freak results does happen, especially in the cup.

Therefore I asked the question, since I didn't watch nor listened to the match(heard the last 5 min). Instead of just answering the question, you respond in the way you do.

But keep on banging your chest, have a good night.

Listening to the Radio 5Live commentary, it seems we were pretty lacklustre and unimaginative except in a few short bursts. Sheff U came with a plan, were well-organised, and it didn't seem their defence was too much troubled.

Of course, you are basing your judgment on stats, so here are the key ones: Possession - Villa 62- Sheff 38 ; shots - Villa 9- Sheff 8 ; shots on target - Villa 2- Sheff 5.

It seems from those stats that the picture you paint of the game is far too optimistic.

Have a good night yourself - another great Villa performance to celebrate!

• Like 1

Lerner does not have brains to sack him so unfortunately were stuck with him

The best way i can compare his managerial ability is to that of a turd that refuses to flush

I found it quite amusing that Isa said that, because he's had the same accusation levelled at him in the past and he got (which is fair enough) angry :-)

I was told to go and 'support somebody else' which is a bit different.

To be clear I was not offended. Fans exchanging amusing pleasantries after a loss when tempers are high is normal stuff.

The players are more at fault here than the manager. I don't care how bad the team selection is or the tactics. The worst selection should beat Sheff Utd. Lambert should be given time to sort out the players. I think calls for sacking the manager are premature and once again just another massive overreaction to a result.

It's been 18 months of absolute shite, not just one bad game!  We're supposed to be improving, but clearly aren't.  Look at our next bunch of league games, can't see a win anywhere in the next 4 at least.

If you are building a squad for 40m, you are not going to get the best players out there.

No. But he's bought internationals, U21 internationals and players from leagues above where Sheffield United. Are you honestly saying that a team made up of £40m of 'talent' shouldn't be able to beat Sheffield United, or manage more than two shots on target? Come on!!! It's not an excuse this time round, not at all.

These players should be able to beat Sheffield United, these players are not performing and these players are letting the manager and the fans down. No effort from many of them and a lot seem to run at half the speed, the main striker looks awful and there is a lack of commitment from players who showed at the end of last season they can do it, they get big pay rises and are now settled knowing they do not have to perform.

They need some quality around them to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and they need players brought in who will make sure these lazy brats are not so settled about being in the team.

They need a good shake up.

So the manager should take no responsibility for it? Being the man who has brought them in. The man who is supposed to motivate them (I'm sure is sound bytes this week helped with that!). He's the one that decided they deserved, and would cope with the pay rises. He needs to take responsibility and he's made the decisions.

I am sure he would love to get the same budget of Southampton, Cardiff, Norwich and others, if this was the case I would be one of the first to find fault. The next manager through the doors will have exactly the same problem here, premier league club, championship budget. 

To quote yourself...

So Benteke is a "useless tosser" now is he?

No you are right. He's contributing so much to our game at the moment.  :rolleyes:

A new manager wouldn't be able to fill the gaps - mainly a defender, defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder - as I do not think he would get the funds, so we would have the same team and the same players, the ones who are the problem.

We would but the tactics are so bad I would hope that another manager would be able to get more from this squad. It's the worst of both worlds. The manager is the one thing that could realistically be changed. It's all so depressing.