the big debate - the perfect roast dinner

Jimzk5

Sparked by a discussion at work today by a lad who mentioned he has sweetcorn with his roast dinners, I've never heard of such a thing, with this in mind, describe what makes the perfect roast for you

Meat - lamb with mint sauce

potatoes - mashed & roasted

veg - peas, carrots, cauliflower & broccoli

extras - sausages, as many as 3 or 4 depending how hungry I am,minimum 2 Yorkshire puddings and stuffing, occasionally English mustard too.

Note - anyone who says Swede or cauliflower cheese are disqualified from the best roast dinner competition.

Edited by Jimzk5

Meat - Lots of tender lamb and little bit of succulent beef

potatoes - mashed and a few giant roasters

veg - peas, carrots and cooked parsnip

extras - A giant soft Yorkshire pudding with 5 or 6 pigs in blankets inside and plenty of gravy all over.

With Beef: Horseradish Sauce/Cream as per your preference 

With Pork: Bramley Apple sauce (must be sharp not sweet) 

With Chicken: gravy only

With turkey: Bread Sauce

With Lamb: mint sauce

With Gammon: pineapple/fried egg as per preference and mustard. 

Poatoes: Roasted 

Veg (any/all of the following are acceptible): Parsnips (roasted), peas, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, sprouts, broccoli, sugar snap peas, mange tout

Gravy made from the meat juice

Yorkshire pudding to be served only with Beef for reasons that are entirely obvious yet intangible. 

Stuffing to be only deployed when roasting poultry,. 

Cranberry sauce/redcurrent jelly are outlawed on the grounds that having jam on your dinner is totally unacceptable. 

Mustard is a universal condiment to be served with all of the above meats. It may be English, Dijon or whole grain as per personal preference. 

Sausages may be served with chicken, pigs in blankets with turkey. Sausages with any other meat is no allowed. 

The presence of ketchup, mayo, salad cream is punishable by doing all of the washing up in a hat bearing the legend "I'm a massive whoopsie" 

Edited by Eames

Pretty standard.

Roast Beef

Yorkshire Pudding

Roast Potatoes

Root Mash

A green (Broccoli or Peas)

Acceptable Condiments: Grain Mustard or Horseradish, preferably the latter.

Edited by Shillzz

Gammon and/or Beef

Mashed and roast potatoes

carrots, broccoli, cauliflower cheese, red cabbage (controversial I imagine), peas

yorkshire pud

stuffing

gravy

Anyone who puts parsnips in a roast automatically loses my respect. Foul, disgusting things

The presence of ketchup, mayo, salad cream is punishable by doing all of the washing up in a hat bearing the legend "I'm a massive whoopsie" 

If I ever catch anybody applying mayo to a roast dinner I will murder them myself.

i have yorkshire puddings and stuffing with all roast dinners

usually have 2 types of potato too, roasts and mash but i'll flavour the mash pretty much everytime, say with parsnips, horseradish, mint or mustard the othe rahlf likes to add garlic but im not overly fussed by it

roast carrots and peas everytime with then whatever else im in the mood for which is usually broccoli 

also on everything i roast i use this salt / pepper / chilli grinder thing i got from B&M bargains, its brilliant, and i'll throw some red onions in the roasting dish 

Edited by villa4europe

Must say I don't get what a Yorkshire pud brings to the dish. They're full of air and take up valuable real estate on the plate. I think they're more a tradition than anything else.

• Like 2

I smother mine in white pepper.  Awesomeness.

Must say I don't get what a Yorkshire pud brings to the dish. They're full of air and take up valuable real estate on the plate. I think they're more a tradition than anything else.

Baddie.

Pork Knuckle with crackling  and a bib  ..... that is all

Mrs H and her family find it amusing when we go to the Inlaws that she will make a big roast with all the trimmings and i'll just take the meat and stick it between 2 slices of bread  and  leave everything else

veg is for gheys 

Â