the big debate - the perfect roast dinner

Jimzk5

Must say I don't get what a Yorkshire pud brings to the dish. They're full of air and take up valuable real estate on the plate. I think they're more a tradition than anything else.

If you get a Yorkshire pudding big enough, you can put everything else in it and then save on the washing up.

Giant-yorkshire-pudding-630x300.jpg

Although too much gravy turns it in to Man vs Food.

• Like 4

Must say I don't get what a Yorkshire pud brings to the dish. They're full of air and take up valuable real estate on the plate. I think they're more a tradition than anything else.

A decent Yorkshire pud is heaven on earth.  It has to be homemade though, the shit you buy in supermarkets is awful. 

• Like 1

All the usual.

Plus honey roast parsnips.

Gravy in a gravy boat on the table for constant re hydration.

3 bottles of wine. 

A knife and fork.

2 German chancellors.

6 massive attack albums.

4 Power Rangers

12 French pansies

1 Growler

1  Mark Fowler

• Like 2

Beef with English mustard.

Chicken and pork with stuffing. (Apple sauce with pork now and again, if the mood takes me. Also you get the added bonus of crackling with pork, which is the best part of any roast)

Lamb with mint sauce.

Roast potatoes a must, as is some nice fluffy, creamy mash.

Veg - Green beans, peas and carrots.

Yorkshire pudding with beef only.

Lashings of gravy, made with the meat juices.

Man, I'm hungry now!  

Edited by dAVe80

Roast beef with mustard or roast lamb with mint. 

Potatoes

Carrots

Peas

Yorkshire pud

Gravy

Cooked by my gran, god rest her soul. 

Edited by The_Rev

Empty plate because roasts are awful.

GTFO

and them giant yorkshire puds work well as a curry bowl too, laughed when my other halfs uni mate (from leeds) first suggested it, converted me, its great

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Spot the person whose mother was a shit cook :-)

It's more that nearly all the parts of a roast dinner are boring or or I just don't like anyway. Stuffing and Yorkshire puddings are fine, the rest, ugh!

Our Nan used to do a brilliant Sunday dinner. She'd boil the veg till it was just stodge, cook the meat in so much lard, your arteries would harden, and the knives and forks didn't match, but it was heaven. My other Nan was the queen of roasters. Always crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. My Mom cooks a mean Sunday dinner these days. Perfect hang over cure. 

Edited by dAVe80

When I have had nothing to eat in my house I've had roast potatoes and mayo was nice. My perfect roast is Lamb with mint sauce Roast potatoes Creamy mash Garden peas Carrot Stuffing Yorkshire puds and gravy Broccoli and cauliflower is horrible ,same goes towards swedes and parsnips

Edited by jadenb42

Is it The_Rev because his Gran had to cook it?

i heard a famous chef about 2 days ago make a comment like its great if you can cook like your mom, unbelievably lucky if you can cook like your gran

think it was heston, and he's not lying

• Like 1

Always crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. 

for the fluffy in the middle try boiling them for 5-10 minutes 1st, crispy on the outside is what i struggle to get right, cant get the oil right either put too much in and then end up greasy or not enough and they burn

Always crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. 

for the fluffy in the middle try boiling them for 5-10 minutes 1st, crispy on the outside is what i struggle to get right, cant get the oil right either put too much in and then end up greasy or not enough and they burn

Rub them in a little bit of corn flour, and get the oil as hot as you possibly can. 

It's more that nearly all the parts of a roast dinner are boring or or I just don't like anyway. Stuffing and Yorkshire puddings are fine, the rest, ugh!

Meat?

i heard a famous chef about 2 days ago make a comment like its great if you can cook like your mom, unbelievably lucky if you can cook like your gran

think it was heston, and he's not lying

If it was Heston I'd love to see how experimental his Mother and Grandmother were in the kitchen.

As a side note, My Mom is a terrible cook and her Mom is even worse, so I'm very unlucky.

It was my Dad's Dad who was the brilliant cook in my life but sadly he's dead now so he doesn't cook that much anymore.

My Dad's Mom was a good cook too but put Pineapple in everything.

Â