the big debate - the perfect roast dinner

Jimzk5

Apparently the other week I had a Sunday dinner round at me mom n dads but I got absolutely hammered the night before and topped myself up whilst I was round at theirs with 2 bottles of wine and a few cans, I cant remember eating it at all.

My moms roast is the bollocks really, I've had half a dozen via different sources, carverys and missus parents but nothing comes close to my old dears, the worst experience was the first one my missus mom made us and when I asked for mint sauce she just spooned it out the jar onto the plate, instead of diluting it in vinegar and pouring it over.

Roast beef (cooked rare, with HOT horseradish sauce, non of this creamed nonsense) 

Roast potatoes - no mash 

Red cabbage

Carrots 

A green veg (my preference would be sprouts, but runner beans or broccoli are acceptable) 

EDIT: Risso just reminded me about roast parsnips - alternatively roast butternut squash

Proper gravy made from meat juice (not granules, etc.) 

Personally, I have no use for Yorkshire Puddings, but my family would disagree. 

Bottle of claret or Rioja. 

Edited by mjmooney

Rare roast beef, sliced thinly

Home made gravy

Yorkshire pudding

Roast potatoes

Roast parsnips

Peas

Carrots

Broccoli

Horseradish sauce

An excellent red wine

You will notice that there is no mention of pickled onions on the above list, however my mother-in-law insists on putting them on the table AT EVERY SINGLE MEAL!  :angry:

Always crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. 

for the fluffy in the middle try boiling them for 5-10 minutes 1st, crispy on the outside is what i struggle to get right, cant get the oil right either put too much in and then end up greasy or not enough and they burn

Rub them in a little bit of corn flour, and get the oil as hot as you possibly can. 

For good roast potatoes you rattle them around in a colander to roughen the outsides. 

• Like 2

the kids love buttery parsnip mash!

it's not for me, but they'd happily eat a plate of the stuff and leave the meat

As per Risso but shove the parsnips.

Anyone who puts parsnips in a roast automatically loses my respect. Foul, disgusting things

I didn't realise parsnips were such a controversial item.

For the record, I love them but I can now see why they pretend to be chips sometimes with this hate out there. 

Beef on a roast is overrated.

What are you, some kinda ho-mo-sekshual boy?!

No. I'd just put about 5/6 other meats above it in a purely roast context. However, I'd put a proper steak at the top of my list of any meat.

Beef on a roast is overrated.

What are you, some kinda ho-mo-sekshual boy?!

No. I'd just put about 5/6 other meats above it in a purely roast context. However, I'd put a proper steak at the top of my list of any meat.

yeah, I have to keep mixing it up with the meats, any one meat gets a bit boring quite quickly

saying that, it's also a case of keeping an eye on prices which appear to fluctuate a fair bit

Empty plate because roasts are awful.

we could put it in a paper bag and hand it to you through the car window if that helps?

That would be good, I'm now sat on the wrong side to use a drive through.

Â